A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 08:19:49 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Sen. Rice Proposing High Point Beer & Wine Sales In Grocery Stores  (Read 75548 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2010, 09:48:56 am »

Interesting but how do you explain Missouri?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Missouri

It's been a while since I lived in MO, but 3.2 beer is typically sold by convenience grocery stores so they can sell it 7 days a week.  High point beer, liquor and wine sales are not allowed on Sunday.  Of course, there used to be a concept called "Package Liquor" - which was typically a drive through window at a restaurant that sold liquor on Sundays (at a premium price).  Then again, about the time I turned 21 Missouri stopped allowing bars to give you a "roadie" cup with your drink in it when you headed out the bar door.

As for Okla., I am not optimistic for any near time changes because the entrenched wholesalers/retailers and the temperance/MADD types are a formidable political alliance against modernizing our liquor laws.
dbacks fan
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2010, 10:04:50 am »

DTowner brought up MADD, and it just made me curios about alchohol traffic deaths per capita. Might have to do some comparison checking with liquor laws by state.....

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/hea_alc_rel_tra_fat_percap-related-traffic-fatalities-per-capita
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2010, 11:08:28 am »

It's been a while since I lived in MO, but 3.2 beer is typically sold by convenience grocery stores so they can sell it 7 days a week.  High point beer, liquor and wine sales are not allowed on Sunday.  Of course, there used to be a concept called "Package Liquor" - which was typically a drive through window at a restaurant that sold liquor on Sundays (at a premium price).  Then again, about the time I turned 21 Missouri stopped allowing bars to give you a "roadie" cup with your drink in it when you headed out the bar door.

As for Okla., I am not optimistic for any near time changes because the entrenched wholesalers/retailers and the temperance/MADD types are a formidable political alliance against modernizing our liquor laws.

Liquor stores in Missouri are open Sundays. I'm not sure they even sell 3.2 beer in Missouri, or why they would do so. Every article I find on the internet says 3.2 beer is rare there because of their permissive laws.

Off-premises liquor sales are allowed Mon–Sat 6:00am–1:30am and Sundays 9:00am–12:00am. Missouri also doesn't allow areas to vote themselves dry. You can get beer or liquor at grocery, convenience and liquor stores. Wikipedia says Missouri has among the most permissive laws for alcohol, perhaps behind only Nevada and Louisiana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2010, 11:41:29 am »

Liquor stores in Missouri are open Sundays. I'm not sure they even sell 3.2 beer in Missouri, or why they would do so. Every article I find on the internet says 3.2 beer is rare there because of their permissive laws.

Off-premises liquor sales are allowed Mon–Sat 6:00am–1:30am and Sundays 9:00am–12:00am. Missouri also doesn't allow areas to vote themselves dry. You can get beer or liquor at grocery, convenience and liquor stores. Wikipedia says Missouri has among the most permissive laws for alcohol, perhaps behind only Nevada and Louisiana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

I guess a lot has changed since I left.  Still, those roadie cups were great....
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2010, 12:01:47 pm »

IIRC, Texas didn't pass an open container law until the early '90's.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2010, 12:04:20 pm »

Send your contributions to DAMM, Drunks Against Mad Mothers    Grin

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2010, 12:33:07 pm »

Now if alcohol reform were to come up the same time as marijuana reform, you might be able to strain the alcohol industry's war chest to the point where they dont have enough money to spread around the pulpits and police unions.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2010, 01:15:23 pm »

Lemme guess:

You guys were getting a bit loud or fired off a spud gun or golf ball launcher, someone called the cops about the noise, when they showed up your buddy smarted off and got arrested.  How's my aim? 

Cops generally don't show up out of the blue and start arresting people drinking in their garage with friends.
I think it was the music, though we weren't being as rowdy that night as we generally were, I mean come on, we hadn't even sat a car on fire that night.  My buddy didn't smart off as much as made some poor choices in words (he was pretty drunk).  I did let him sit in jail for the night, didn't even bother to see about bail.  Figured he could use a time out.  Point of the matter though is he hadn't actually done anything legally wrong other than not agreeing with the cop and apparantly being a public drunk (despite being in a private home).  Why don't they just pass a law that straight out says that being intoxicated is illegal.  At least then there wouldn't be an argument over it. But then again, it's at the cops discretion on if a person is intoxicated, which means they can charge you if you have had less than a single 3.2 beer.  Guess it's time we just outlaw drinkin just so everyone knows that they are breakin the law.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2010, 01:22:05 pm »

Guess it's time we just outlaw drinkin just so everyone knows that they are breakin the law.

Tried that already.  Didn't work.   Smiley

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2010, 01:24:12 pm »

Tried that already.  Didn't work.   Smiley
It seems that there are those who don't remember that little point.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2010, 01:36:01 pm »

I think it was the music, though we weren't being as rowdy that night as we generally were, I mean come on, we hadn't even sat a car on fire that night.  My buddy didn't smart off as much as made some poor choices in words (he was pretty drunk).  I did let him sit in jail for the night, didn't even bother to see about bail.  Figured he could use a time out.  Point of the matter though is he hadn't actually done anything legally wrong other than not agreeing with the cop and apparantly being a public drunk (despite being in a private home).  Why don't they just pass a law that straight out says that being intoxicated is illegal.  At least then there wouldn't be an argument over it. But then again, it's at the cops discretion on if a person is intoxicated, which means they can charge you if you have had less than a single 3.2 beer.  Guess it's time we just outlaw drinkin just so everyone knows that they are breakin the law.

And then there's the discretionary charge of "resisting arrest".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that charge only exists to explain additional bruising on the person arrested.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »

It seems that there are those who don't remember that little point.

It was actually before my time, at least in Pennsylvania where I spent my early years.  I think Oklahoma repealed prohibition in 59.  But..... I watched Elliot Ness and the Untouchables on TV.  (Kind of like staying in a Holiday Inn Express.)

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2010, 01:38:37 pm »

And then there's the discretionary charge of "resisting arrest".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that charge only exists to explain additional bruising on the person arrested.

That and it's a catch-all, like too fast for conditions.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2010, 01:44:50 pm »

most times. In my buddies case, he resisted.  They beat him with batons, sprayed him with pepper spray, and did their best to wrestle him to the ground.  He's a big guy, and they didn't have much luck. Of course, all he did was resist, he didn't fight back or anything, just refused to let them cuff him.  They finally got him to submit when one of them asked him, fairly politely, to turn around and put his hands behind his back.  The assualt on an officer charge on the other hand was a trump up that can from when the cop shoved him into the wall, putting a really big whole in it, and my buddy reached out trying to steady himself to keep from falling down and his hand found the cops shoulder, tearing his lapel in the process.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2010, 02:12:18 pm »

Mid 90s I found out about the officers discretion on public drunk.
10 minutes after midnight a friend of mine was followed by the B.A. Police into my girlfriends condo complex. They pulled him over and were doing their routine sobriety test. My girlfriend rushes out to plead his case about already stopping and getting out to come in her condo.
After a few minutes I went outside and saw that they were turning her around and putting her into cuffs. I turned to go back in the condo to get the phone and I had locked myself out. I went and got into her car on the passenger side and was looking for her key's to get back in the condo.
A Officer tapped on the window and asked me to step outside. I complied. He asked me if I had been drinking tonight. I said who hasnt, it's New Years Eve.
He said turn around and put your hands behind your back.
I told him I had just got there and had one glass of champaign. I proceeded to stand on one leg while touching my nose with my fingers.
He told me to stop because it was up to the arresting officer and a sobriety test was not necessary. My girlfriend and I both sat in jail stone cold sober and our drunk friend got out of jail before we did. Justice, ya gotta love it.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org