A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 03:18:57 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NatureWorks Adds New Sculpture to RiverParks  (Read 5838 times)
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« on: February 11, 2010, 01:23:44 pm »

I know some people aren't necessarily "wild" about NatureWorks' sculptures, but I certainly appreciate any art that is added to the city's repertoire.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100211_11_0_TheRiv913538

---Robert
OSU
Activist

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »

I like this one, the only statues I dislike are the ones depicting non-native to Oklahoma species...like the moose one.

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:03:23 pm »

I like this one, the only statues I dislike are the ones depicting non-native to Oklahoma species...like the moose one.
In that case you should half like this one Grin

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »

I think I saw a six inch tall mock up of this fine work at the flea market next to a Tshirt of a wolf in front of a starry sky.  Maybe its time to run William out of town and get Bob Ross to paint some happy tree murals downtown too.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
PepePeru
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 03:26:08 pm »

I think this is great! 

Other statues I'd like to see:

A polar bear attacking a rattle snake.
A male bull elephant goring a white-tail deer.
A scissor-tailed flycatcher catching flies.
A domestic housecat about to pounce a locust.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 03:28:31 pm »

I think I saw a six inch tall mock up of this fine work at the flea market next to a Tshirt of a wolf in front of a starry sky.  Maybe its time to run William out of town and get Bob Ross to paint some happy tree murals downtown too.

Isnt he dead?

Hey, pay me and I will paint "happy tree" murals from one end of this town to the next. Oooh and I could even do "deco, happy trees" Tongue

Btw, I like the natureworks stuff by the river (moose should have been there too imho).  Would like to see some group get together and do some contemporary sculpture around town as well.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Hometown
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:58:30 am »

As I look back over recent mainstream art and art history, no animal artists have made the cut.  Remington and Russell who you will see at Gilcrease and who sometimes depicted animals in a western theme, worked as illustrators not fine artists.  Following their deaths, some art historians have reevaluated their work and elevated it to the level of fine art.  We'll see if that stands the test of time.  My parents' generation gave Tulsa Modern art works like the abstract sculpture Amity that used to sit in front of the old City Hall.  My generation has de-evolved and littered Tulsa with animal decorations.  Tulsa doesn't measure up in the art department.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:02:13 am by Hometown » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:07:08 am »

What happened to Amity? It was a lovely piece of art. Very controversial at the time.
Hometown
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 09:12:24 am »

I forgot William Wegman, though he is definitely not NatureWorks material.

http://www.housepetmagazine.com/two/wegman.htm

http://www.wegmanworld.com/

And I think I read that Amity had been moved to another location here in town.
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:36:09 pm »

What happened to Amity? It was a lovely piece of art. Very controversial at the time.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMQV3_Amity_by_Roy_Gussow_Tulsa_OK

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 03:50:57 pm »

I like that we now have sculptures of animals that don't live around here. I wonder if the next one will be a giraffe.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 04:59:05 pm »

I like that we now have sculptures of animals that don't live around here. I wonder if the next one will be a giraffe.

Oooooo, what'd RM's hand say to the zookeeper's face? 

"SLAP"
jiminy
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 05:36:06 pm »

Maybe we should make statues of police officers.  Kind of the scarecrow effect
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:36:01 pm »

Oooooo, what'd RM's hand say to the zookeeper's face? 

"SLAP"

I was trying to be funny...too soon?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:00:01 pm »

It was relocated to the remodeled South entrance to the Convention Center, looks very nice there especially at night. 

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org