A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 09:30:58 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sacrifice is for suckers -- not unionized government employees.  (Read 6350 times)
TeeDub
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:40:01 am »

Albany Police Officers Union President Chris Mesley says that, regardless of the faltering economy, a no-raise new contract is unacceptable.

And to hell with the public.

"I'm not running a popularity contest here," Mesley said. "If I'm the bad guy to the average citizen . . . and their taxes have go up to cover my raise, I'm very sorry about that, but I have to look out for myself and my membership."

Mesley added: "As the president of the local, I will not accept 'zeroes.' If that means . . . ticking off some taxpayers, then so be it."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/what_union_bosses_think_Em4qoD4qx9ei7QLeYk8v6I#ixzz0fnwi02Ks
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:43:59 am »

The stupidity in this country that is coming from people that are suppose to serve the people is mind-boggling.......

rwarn17588
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:09:49 am »

It's no worse than the Tulsa FOP forever yanging about public safety, then voting for layoffs that actually affect its ability to promote that public safety.

It's no worse than our two Tulsa cops on this forum who are always yanging about their being conservative, but forgetting their ideals when the mayor tries to do honest-to-God conservative things such as balance a budget, cutting spending and making smaller government.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:20:15 am »

It's no worse than the Tulsa FOP forever yanging about public safety, then voting for layoffs that actually affect its ability to promote that public safety.

It's no worse than our two Tulsa cops on this forum who are always yanging about their being conservative, but forgetting their ideals when the mayor tries to do honest-to-God conservative things such as balance a budget, cutting spending and making smaller government.

I don't recall anyone saying the contrary....

shadows
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:17:20 pm »

Just think how lucky the Tulsan citizens are to live in a state where the Right to Work was passed and is enforced where the city is now controlled by the unions.  Course they have found a cash cow that gives stimulus money now instead of milk.

Then by placing the tariffs on pipe imported from China used in drilling operations, with the near quarter of a trillion dollar balance of payments last year, all the citizens may be lining up for stimulus money soon.  Grin 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
TeeDub
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:20:28 pm »

124 fewer officers and still no crime wave.   
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:17:13 pm »

124 fewer officers and still no crime wave.   

If anything, a slight decrease.
Same thing with turning off expressway lights.
This "cutting excesses" stuff just might catch on.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 08:38:56 am »

You might want to hold off your excitement till warmer weather arrives.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:38:18 am »

You might want to hold off your excitement till warmer weather arrives.

Warmer weather always brings about more activity, including criminal.
Has been that way regardless of how many or few police we have.
The FOP would be foolish to point to warmer-weather crime spikes and claim it's due to layoffs, but then they know there are also lots of foolish people that might believe that.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
waterboy
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:55:04 am »

Warmer weather always brings about more activity, including criminal.
Has been that way regardless of how many or few police we have.
The FOP would be foolish to point to warmer-weather crime spikes and claim it's due to layoffs, but then they know there are also lots of foolish people that might believe that.

It is also foolish to believe that one of the worst winters in decades has not slowed down petty crime. You think stealing cars in 8 inches of snow is easy? Smiley

Honestly, you think crime will remain unaffected by a decrease in patrolmen? If so, how low should we go?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 10:57:42 am »

All I know is the cold weather has kept me indoors drinking Marshall's so I have not been out wilding.  There I did it, I managed to incorporate the hallowed beer into this discussion.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 11:23:15 am »

It is also foolish to believe that one of the worst winters in decades has not slowed down petty crime. You think stealing cars in 8 inches of snow is easy? Smiley

Honestly, you think crime will remain unaffected by a decrease in patrolmen? If so, how low should we go?

Conversely, would you think that adding 100 or 200 police to the force would do the trick in solving Tulsa's crime?
If not, how many police would it take to satisfy everyone?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 11:47:30 am »

Conversely, would you think that adding 100 or 200 police to the force would do the trick in solving Tulsa's crime?

I thought of you when I was listening to the news this morning on the way to work.  A TPD officer got dragged by a drunk when she reached in the car to try and take the keys last night.  When are they going to learn?  That guy is probably lucky they didn't bust a cap in his donkey.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 01:14:51 pm »

A TPD officer got dragged by a drunk when she reached in the car to try and take the keys last night.  When are they going to learn?  That guy is probably lucky they didn't bust a cap in his donkey.

She was holding onto the wheel and allowing herself to be "dragged" until her ride-along just reached up and pulled her free, so she wasnt able to get a legal shot off.  She probably wont be taking any ride-alongs again.
The drunk cop recently busted for waving a gun in a bar lost his previous job with Sand Springs after killing a shoplifter this way, so I dont think many good cops approve of this controversial technique.

waterboy
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »

No, but unlike you, I didn't imply as much. Your animosity towards TPD is well noted.

There simply is no correlation between current low levels of crime and the amount of patrolmen on the street. There is a correlation with severe winter weather and hot summer weather. If you had any hard info showing that reducing the number patrolmen had no effect on crime you would have presented it. I just called you on it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org