A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 01:33:40 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Federally mandated noise makers for electric cars  (Read 4115 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: June 11, 2010, 11:21:20 am »

Imagine hearing these sounds from 100's of cars heading down Brookside while you enjoy the day on a patio or whatever you're doing.

The reverse sound is especially lovely.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yO5msMEGZI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZK74nUJl48&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

http://gm-volt.com/2010/06/11/nissan-leaf-electric-car-sounds-revealed/

Is this the noise the cars on "Sleeper" made?
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:37:40 am »

A switch inside the vehicle can turn off sounds temporarily. The system automatically resets to “On” at the next ignition cycle.
Good to know you can still sneak up on people if you so desire.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:09 pm »

You should be able to configure your own noise.  Like your ringtone.  I think I'd go for The Jetsons noise.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 12:23:30 pm »

I think I would have to opt for some woo woooooo (great excuse to resurrect a classic)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JtoW7GrdY[/youtube]

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 02:03:37 pm »

I expected to be disturbed by whatever noise was being required, but it's not so bad at all. One hopes it automatically cuts off the noisemaking once the car's speed gets over 20mph or so, by which time the tires ought to be making plenty of noise on their own.

I could almost find the Leaf completely useful for what I need out of a car 99% of the time, if only it had a slightly better range. 150 miles would do it, 200 would be preferable.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:24:19 pm »

I think it would be nice if it sounded like my 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle, just without leaving oil all over the driveway.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 02:35:47 pm »

They should have put wire rims on them and done the old card and clothes pin trick.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 03:37:00 pm »

I expected to be disturbed by whatever noise was being required, but it's not so bad at all. One hopes it automatically cuts off the noisemaking once the car's speed gets over 20mph or so, by which time the tires ought to be making plenty of noise on their own.

I could almost find the Leaf completely useful for what I need out of a car 99% of the time, if only it had a slightly better range. 150 miles would do it, 200 would be preferable.

It cuts off at 30mph and comes back on at 25mph.

The sound reminds me of K.I.T.T.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »

Spend all these years to make cars more quiet. And now mandate these cars to be noisy. Im at a loss on this one.

Oh also. Dats only in da mownin. You should be makin brekfass or sumptin.
I love that video, makes me laugh everytime.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:12:09 pm »

Ring tone people will have a new market. 

I think a P-51 Mustang sounds nice.  Or maybe a B-17 with those wonderful sounding round engines.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 03:59:51 pm »

I thought it sounded familiar,
Listen to the car sounds in this clip:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYwU-fRIuZA[/youtube]

Life imitates art.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 09:15:06 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYwU-fRIuZA[/youtube]
Life imitates art.

Then there's always the option to make existing vehicles quieter, rather than add to the cacophony of traffic:
http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12753429

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Jennifer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:17:29 am »

My mom drives a Toyota Highlander hybrid and it is VERY quiet when the battery is running.  The dogs don't react when she pulls into the driveway...and they react to every noise outside!  I also have to double check the thing is on everytime I drive it, it just makes zero start up noise.

She has also had a couple of close calls with people walking right out behind or in front of it because they just didn't realize it was on.

dbacks fan
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:41 am »

I think it would be nice if it sounded like my 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle, just without leaving oil all over the driveway.

It's not leaking oil, it's just marking it's territory.  Wink
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 01:59:03 pm »

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org