A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 03:44:34 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: River Tubing  (Read 4756 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: June 29, 2010, 11:37:08 am »

I know the Illinois River is the closest to Tulsa and offers tube rentals.  Are there other rivers nearby that do the same?  In Arkansas? 

Are there any creeks that don't offer rentals that could?  Delaware Creek in southeast Osage County seems like a pretty clear stream depending on rainfall, at least what I've seen passing over it on Hwy. 97. 

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:21:36 pm »

I know the Illinois River is the closest to Tulsa and offers tube rentals.  Are there other rivers nearby that do the same?  In Arkansas?  

Are there any creeks that don't offer rentals that could?  Delaware Creek in southeast Osage County seems like a pretty clear stream depending on rainfall, at least what I've seen passing over it on Hwy. 97.  
Delaware creek is interesting but there are no rentals that I know of.  Several years ago I floated it a couple of times putting in at the Skiatook lake outfall (during the late summer/fall when the after quality release from the lake is underway) and floated to the Bird Creek confluence.  It is beautiful; especially for the first say 5-7 miles; there is even a small falls to negotiate a couple of miles below the lake just downstream of the first bridge.  Both times, I took out at one of the bridges just above Bird Creek as it gets noticeably more silt laden (and slow moving) after the confluence.  I had originally planned on floating further (hopefully all the way to 66th Street North (Staying well above Tulsa’s North Side Plant discharge) as there in another falls below 75th St. North that I wanted to see but after reaching the confluence and checking my watch I paddled back up stream to the last Delaware Creek bridge and called my ride rather than going on.  

The float was/is beautiful but the take out the logistics are tough (I used a wench and a 4 wheeler to pull my canoe up the bank at a bridge) at best due to the deeply cut channel and limited public access.  Overall my floats were about 14 miles but there is an option to shorten that by about 1/3 or get permission for a private take out of which there are a couple of easier spots.

If anyone is interested check it out on GoogleEarth, the new images look to show it with this flow or thereabouts.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:39:42 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »

It seems that our local waterways have a lot more to offer than many, even natives, realize.  I have never been one to spend a lot of time on the water, but the talk of it on here it might be in my future.  It makes me wonder if we are missing out on a possible draw to the area by not promoting this avenue to it's fullest.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:34:19 am »

It seems that our local waterways have a lot more to offer than many, even natives, realize.  I have never been one to spend a lot of time on the water, but the talk of it on here it might be in my future.  It makes me wonder if we are missing out on a possible draw to the area by not promoting this avenue to it's fullest.

That's what I'm wondering, and why I'm interested.  Vision, could you see Delaware Creek as a draw for tubing?  How clear was the water, and is it a rock bottom creek?  Does it compare with the Illinois or, if you have been, the Guadalupe that is so popular for tubing down in Texas?  It would be nice to have something like that so close to the city.  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:35:58 am by SXSW » Logged

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 01:16:52 pm »

Very nice COOL and predictable water beginning late summer and going well into the fall.  More of a shelf rock and or mud bottom.  Not as clear as the spring fed float streams in Texas but nice...  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:18:38 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 01:20:28 pm »

Very nice COOL water late summer and well into the fall.  More of a shelf rock and or mud bottom.  Not as clear as the spring fed float streams in Texas but nice...  

Sounds nice, and would probably be a big attraction if the logistics you mentioned could be figured out i.e. put-ins and take-outs.  I think I may be confused which one is Delaware Creek, it doesn't look like it's fed from Lake Skiatook...?

Speaking on spring-fed streams, are there any around Tulsa?  Northwest Arkansas?  The only spring I know of is Dripping Spring at Grand Lake, where you can actually see the water coming out.  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:32:24 pm by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 03:06:05 pm »

Sounds nice, and would probably be a big attraction if the logistics you mentioned could be figured out i.e. put-ins and take-outs.  I think I may be confused which one is Delaware Creek, it doesn't look like it's fed from Lake Skiatook...?

Speaking on spring-fed streams, are there any around Tulsa?  Northwest Arkansas?  The only spring I know of is Dripping Spring at Grand Lake, where you can actually see the water coming out.  

Spring Creek possibly?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:32:45 pm »

Spring Creek possibly?

I have heard of people going there to swim.  It is one of the clearer rivers in the state.  I found this pic on the Spring Creek Coalition website:

Maybe this could be developed into an alternative to the Illinois?  Like the Illinois it is pretty long and seems to flow through nice Ozark scenery, and is only about an hour from Tulsa just south of 412/Locust Grove eventually flowing into Lake Fort Gibson.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:34:52 pm by SXSW » Logged

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 04:03:12 pm »

oops, I think it is actually Hominy Creek...

DeCapo13
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 12:39:15 am »

I know the Illinois River is the closest to Tulsa and offers tube rentals.  Are there other rivers nearby that do the same?  In Arkansas? 

The Elk River in Noel, MO. offers the sames things you would find at the Illinois. Canoes, rafts, and tubes,etc.  The Elk is less than 2 hours NE of Tulsa just past Grove.  It was a really fun trip with lots of college kids and older adults partying on the water. Very similar to what you would find at the Illinois.  Rafted the Buffalo River in Ark. for Memorial day and it was perfect.  Takes about 4 hours to get there factoring in stops for supplies and such. But well worth the trip!  I'm doing the Guadalupe in 2 1/2 weeks so i'll fill you in on how they compare.
waterboy
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 07:11:15 am »

I have heard of people going there to swim.  It is one of the clearer rivers in the state.  I found this pic on the Spring Creek Coalition website:

Maybe this could be developed into an alternative to the Illinois?  Like the Illinois it is pretty long and seems to flow through nice Ozark scenery, and is only about an hour from Tulsa just south of 412/Locust Grove eventually flowing into Lake Fort Gibson.

I played in it as a kid around its confluence with the Flint Creek or Illinois if I remember correctly. Near Kansas, OK? It's extremely cold. Fairly narrow too. More like a brook.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:15:59 am by waterboy » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 07:54:35 am »

The Elk River in Noel, MO. offers the sames things you would find at the Illinois. Canoes, rafts, and tubes,etc.  The Elk is less than 2 hours NE of Tulsa just past Grove.  It was a really fun trip with lots of college kids and older adults partying on the water. Very similar to what you would find at the Illinois.  Rafted the Buffalo River in Ark. for Memorial day and it was perfect.  Takes about 4 hours to get there factoring in stops for supplies and such. But well worth the trip!  I'm doing the Guadalupe in 2 1/2 weeks so i'll fill you in on how they compare.

I want to get over to the Buffalo and/or Mulberry sometime this summer.  I've been to the Guadalupe a few times, reminds me of the Illinois but clearer and without the bluffs. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org