A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:15:22 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recycling Not Picked Up?  (Read 16095 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 01:05:46 pm »

Tulsa's trash/recycling situation is HORRIBLE.  I don't understand why we don't have polycarts, one for trash and one for recyclables.  I fill up that little bin in a couple days.  And why should I have to pay more to recycle and generate less trash while my neighbor generates more trash (with our ridiculous two day a week pick-up) and he pays the same?  Hopefully this changes when the contracts run out next year.  It's sad when Norman has a much better system and much higher recycling participation rates.

PepePeru
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 04:13:35 pm »

Tulsa's trash/recycling situation is HORRIBLE.  I don't understand why we don't have polycarts, one for trash and one for recyclables.  I fill up that little bin in a couple days.  And why should I have to pay more to recycle and generate less trash while my neighbor generates more trash (with our ridiculous two day a week pick-up) and he pays the same?  Hopefully this changes when the contracts run out next year.  It's sad when Norman has a much better system and much higher recycling participation rates.

It is really pathetic.  I remember in the early 1990s when Edmond got polycarts.  Around 18 years ago....so, here we are 18 years later in Tulsa.   I've seen garbage men driving a 4 wheeler with 4 plastic bins attached to it, I guess he's on recon. missions or something

In my neighborhood there's this modified El Camino looking vehicle that comes and picks up the garbage and a large truck, that looks about 50 years old following behind it.  So the El Camino man gets out, dumps the garbage, gets back in his truck, drives to the next house, gets out, dumps the garbage...spills garbage in the street...gets out picks it up (at least he did that) gets back in, drives another 20 feet.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:00 am »

Next door neighbor dumped his recycle bins in his trash can this morning before the trash guy came.  I guess he gave up.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 07:56:39 am »

It is really pathetic.  I remember in the early 1990s when Edmond got polycarts.  Around 18 years ago....so, here we are 18 years later in Tulsa.   I've seen garbage men driving a 4 wheeler with 4 plastic bins attached to it, I guess he's on recon. missions or something

In my neighborhood there's this modified El Camino looking vehicle that comes and picks up the garbage and a large truck, that looks about 50 years old following behind it.  So the El Camino man gets out, dumps the garbage, gets back in his truck, drives to the next house, gets out, dumps the garbage...spills garbage in the street...gets out picks it up (at least he did that) gets back in, drives another 20 feet.

It is beyond pathetic.  When are the contracts up, next year or 2012?  Tulsa needs to enter the 21st Century and have polycarts and once a week, mechanized service.  I should be paying less for generating less trash and recycling more. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 08:24:48 am »

My recycle bin was empty when I got home at 5pm last night, first time that's happened.  They have not missed me yet, but it's been picked up after 6pm a few times.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 08:25:51 am »

It is beyond pathetic.  When are the contracts up, next year or 2012?  Tulsa needs to enter the 21st Century and have polycarts and once a week, mechanized service.  I should be paying less for generating less trash and recycling more. 

Wonderful, now how do we pay for it?  That's a lot of polycarts to purchase and in this little banana republic, you will never pay less for being responsible.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 08:49:04 am »

Wonderful, now how do we pay for it?  That's a lot of polycarts to purchase and in this little banana republic, you will never pay less for being responsible.

The TARE board does have a surplus. You can also structure a contract to have the successful bidder buy the carts.

Power is nothing till you use it.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:20 am »

three days later and three phone calls they finally came and got it...

im convinced its my large recycling polycart that throws them off...
it looks too much like a trash can...

putting a liner in it is annoying but a hell of a lot better than the 8 small buckets i used to haul down to the curb

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 10:32:04 am »

putting a liner in it is annoying but a hell of a lot better than the 8 small buckets i used to haul down to the curb

Or you could drink less Marshall's.  No, wait, pretend I never said that.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 01:03:25 pm »

That is what we need right there, plus a green one for trash.  ONCE A WEEK PICK UP.  You pay a non-refundable deposit for both up front.  I believe that is how most cities do it. 

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 08:03:58 pm »

Non-refundable deposit.... is that mealy mouth words for "buy it"?

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 03:44:27 pm »

Non-refundable deposit.... is that mealy mouth words for "buy it"?

Yes.   Wink

You do the same thing when you get your electric/gas/cable activated, why not your trash as well? 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 03:49:40 pm »

Yes.   Wink

You do the same thing when you get your electric/gas/cable activated, why not your trash as well? 

Not technically...I paid a $300 deposit in 1993 to start up my electric after I got divorced and was still living in Houston (to HL&P also currently known as Reliant Energy).  When I moved back I had not missed a payment or made a late payment, I received a $300 check from them within 3 months.

YMMV.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 07:51:33 pm »

Yes.   Wink

My deposit for electricity at the airport was returned in several credits about a year (as I remember, it's been a while) of paying on time.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 09:18:08 pm »

The expense of the cart is offset by the saving in labor and vehicles.

When I lived in Fayetteville, they switched to polycarts for trash. The city bought the carts. Same with Springdale when they switched a couple of months back, except in that case Waste Management paid for them, since Springdale uses a contractor.

I'd be OK with a refundable deposit, but having to buy the cart is weak sauce.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org