A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:15:57 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't know much about religion? Ask an agnostic or an atheist..  (Read 5780 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: September 28, 2010, 09:05:54 am »

...because it's likely he or she will know more than those of organized religion:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/28/dont-know-much-about-religion-youre-not-alone-study-finds/?hpt=C1

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:12:40 am »

Townsend beat you to it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »

Townsend beat you to it.

I'm kickass.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=16298.msg177527#new
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:40:28 pm »

bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:20:41 pm »

I'm an agnostic/atheist, and I got 15/15 on the quiz.  I did guess on the last question but I got it right.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:30:03 pm »

I'm an agnostic/atheist, and I got 15/15 on the quiz.  I did guess on the last question but I got it right.

You are agnostic/atheist? You got 100% on the quiz but are simultaneously unsure of the existence of God while disbelieving God's existence?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:22:38 pm »

You are agnostic/atheist? You got 100% on the quiz but are simultaneously unsure of the existence of God while disbelieving God's existence?

Atheists don't so much actively disbelieve as not believe in the absence of evidence to support the "theory" (I use the term very loosely) of religion.

I only got 9 of 10 right because I wrongly thought that only 40ish percent of Indonesians were Muslim.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:25:50 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 05:32:28 pm »

Atheists don't so much actively disbelieve as not believe in the absence of evidence to support the "theory" (I use the term very loosely) of religion.

I only got 9 of 10 right because I wrongly thought that only 40ish percent of Indonesians were Muslim.

I got 9 of 10 right also, but only because I forgot that the Jewish Sabbath started on Friday, and not Saturday.

And Gweed, the quiz doesn't ask you if you are faith-based, it asks what you know of it.  Wow.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 05:41:01 pm »

I got 9 of 10 right also, but only because I forgot that the Jewish Sabbath started on Friday, and not Saturday.

And Gweed, the quiz doesn't ask you if you are faith-based, it asks what you know of it.  Wow.
I did the same thing on that.  I missed the indonesia one because for some reason I read it as India. Stoopid ADD
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 05:51:04 pm »

10 out of 10. And I could answer all the other questions in the article too. 

And this is from a gay, agnostic, liberal, recovering southern baptist.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »

And this is from a gay, agnostic, liberal, recovering southern baptist.

Well, at least you have one thing going for you.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 08:44:03 pm »

Well, at least you have one thing going for you.
That he's not judgmental?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 11:04:32 pm »

Zing!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 07:03:52 am »

If so, he's the only one on this forum.

Gay and agnostic are neither a "+" nor "-"
Liberal is definitely a "-" (in my book)
That leaves Recovering Southern Baptist as a definite "+".

bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 07:45:39 am »

Theism/atheism is about belief.  Gnosticism/agnosticism is about knowledge.  I don't believe in a god, but I know it's impossible to know whether there is a god or not, so I'm an agnostic atheist.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org