A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:25:37 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONG = Morons  (Read 6156 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: September 29, 2010, 02:11:20 pm »

OK bear with me here.

Alot of you know my current situation.  I live in my childhood home in East Tulsa while helping care for my Mother (doesn't need much, but she can't get around real well save for around the house).

I come home for lunch today and notice a green hang tag on my door.  It's an ONG tag that says something to the effect of 'your gas services has been turned off', and the reason being 'scheduled maint'.  I figured that meant something along the lines of maybe a bad line needed to be replaced, so no biggy.  We use gas for hot water, our heater (not needed yet), and stove cooking (which we do some of, but not exclusively).

My mother, bless her heart, is so incredibly nice to people that in some instances I have to tell her she needs to be a little more forceful when it comes to getting answers from people in the service industry.

So, after I call on her behalf, it turns out they've changed the damn meter, but say they can't turn the gas back on without being able to come into our house and check our gas appliances to make sure they're safe.  That's fine.  I can understand that.

What I don't understand is why they did it WITH ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANCE NOTICE WHATSOEVER!  I called ONG and asked this, and the rep on the phone told me that they'd been sending out fliers since earlier in the summer (not likely).  We've gone paperless for the ONG bill (auto bill-pay through the bank).  After doing some stammering and such, she apologized.  I know the position these people are in (customer service) I worked it for about 2 years.

I just don't understand why the hangtag couldn't have been placed yesterday stating they were going to do the work today.  No wonder they keep asking for rate hikes.  They have to be one of the most inefficient companies EVER.

OK, I feel better now.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:10 pm »

If you had been using more gas like a good wasteful consumer, they wouldn't have felt the need to change the meter.

PSO changed the meter on my hangar at Riverside/Jones Airport (Jenks).  I suspect it was because I use so little electricity and they were only getting their $37/mo for the privilege of having them send me a bill.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:28:59 am »

Meters get changed regularly for a variety of reasons. ONG is putting in RF meters citywide so if you haven't been changed, you will.

The need to check inside the house is because they don't want an unlit pilot filling your house with gas while you're away and unaware.

The inserts are generally also available as part of paperless billing. You're actually supposed to go to the site and read everything like you have a paper bill, not just the amount. My guess is that their notice was somewhere on page 7 or in one of those colorful feelgood inserts.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:01:28 am »

The need to check inside the house is because they don't want an unlit pilot filling your house with gas while you're away and unaware.

Standing pilot? What's that? (other than a waste of gas) Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TeeDub
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:03:34 am »

You do realize that you can turn your gas meter on and off yourself?

It just takes a crescent wrench.

Oh, right, then you would have to find something else to grumble about.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:07:56 am »

There's a sewer manhole in the back corner of my back yard.  The city has been coming and going off and on for a few weeks and I did not happen to notice anything amiss until after I'd let my dog out last night.  This was the third or fourth time they left my gate open.  Fortunately this time, Butch had only gone around the front of the house and came back when I called him. 

They've trampled my nice ground cover in that bed to nothing, broken a branch off my plum tree, and can't see fit to take a few seconds to close my damn gate.  Anyone know what the number for the complaint line is at Public Works?  The ground cover will come back, I'm mainly irritated they can't be bothered with leaving my property secure and ensuring any pets I may have won't run out of the yard after they've left.  I shouldn't have to check my damn gates every night.  I guess I may just have to put a lock on my gates and leave a number they can call for access from now on.  Assclowns.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:17:49 am »

Meters get changed regularly for a variety of reasons. ONG is putting in RF meters citywide so if you haven't been changed, you will.

The inserts are generally also available as part of paperless billing. You're actually supposed to go to the site and read everything like you have a paper bill, not just the amount. My guess is that their notice was somewhere on page 7 or in one of those colorful feelgood inserts.

Nope, checked em all for this year.  ONG doesn't use a type of ebill that is an attachment, like so many others do.  Evidently there have been a LOT of complaints along this same line as mine (replacing the meter without notification).

Oh, and TeeDumb; I know how to turn a gas meter off and on.  My complaint is that these assclowns couldn't be bothered with notifying me, either by a hangtag the day before, or a simple phone call that they were going to be replacing the meter.  And in this case, if they were worried so much about a standing pilot filling up a house with gas, why would they have NOT notified the customer more than 5 minutes in advance regarding this replacment?  You likely work for them, since you have such intricate knowledge of how to turn off a gas meter.  I bet you can chew gum and walk simultaneously.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:21:49 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TeeDub
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:42:06 am »

And in this case, if they were worried so much about a standing pilot filling up a house with gas, why would they have NOT notified the customer more than 5 minutes in advance regarding this replacement?

Um, they didn't worry about it because they didn't turn it back on.   Duh. 

Why should they have to notify you anyway?   What are you going to do about it?   Whine.   Oh right.   Good luck finding another provider.  Seems like they have a monopoly and aren't afraid to use it.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:52:23 am »

Um, they didn't worry about it because they didn't turn it back on.   Duh. 

Why should they have to notify you anyway?   What are you going to do about it?   Whine.   Oh right.   Good luck finding another provider.  Seems like they have a monopoly and aren't afraid to use it.
One can always setup a propane tank in the back yard. 
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:06:36 am »

One can always setup a propane tank in the back yard. 

...and then buy all new LPG appliances, which are not interchangeable with NG in most cases.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 10:23:05 am »

...and then buy all new LPG appliances, which are not interchangeable with NG in most cases.

Nah, it's usually just a matter of changing a small part. $20-$30 per if you can do it yourself. Getting a permit for a tank might be difficult in town, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 10:53:26 am »

So not to start another thread but along the same lines. Anyone else have PSO contact them(Again)about tree trimming in your yard ?
They contacted us with a phone call about four Months ago, letting us know that they would soon be in our area to do the tree trimming. This first took place about 2005 and they tore up the back part of our property. Of course the day they came the yard was soaked and whatever equipment they used left deep ruts out front and in the back yard. We have 1&1/4 acre.
They left gates open with no regard to the dogs that we have in the yard and now we get to go thru the whole process again.
I had forgot about this taking place after all this time between the phone call and the door hanger left about two weeks ago. I still have no idea when this will happen, and so I guess I will just come home to open gates, tore up yard and my dogs roaming free. It's just about courtesy and respect. Of which utility companies employees have none.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:58 am »

So not to start another thread but along the same lines. Anyone else have PSO contact them(Again)about tree trimming in your yard ?
They contacted us with a phone call about four Months ago, letting us know that they would soon be in our area to do the tree trimming. This first took place about 2005 and they tore up the back part of our property. Of course the day they came the yard was soaked and whatever equipment they used left deep ruts out front and in the back yard. We have 1&1/4 acre.
They left gates open with no regard to the dogs that we have in the yard and now we get to go thru the whole process again.
I had forgot about this taking place after all this time between the phone call and the door hanger left about two weeks ago. I still have no idea when this will happen, and so I guess I will just come home to open gates, tore up yard and my dogs roaming free. It's just about courtesy and respect. Of which utility companies employees have none.

877-367-6815

If that doesn't work, PM me.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 11:35:39 am »

Standing pilot? What's that? (other than a waste of gas) Grin

Night light?

Our oven and hot water heater still have pilots. Everything else has been replaced with pilotless equipment.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 11:46:59 am »

Night light?

Our oven and hot water heater still have pilots. Everything else has been replaced with pilotless equipment.
Now that would be nice. I've always had older appliances, so those pilot lights have always given me problems. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org