A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 12:10:50 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Question 744  (Read 33537 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 11:34:13 am »

Honestly folks, I did not hi-jack RM's account this morning.

LOL.  I was ready to welcome him into the party.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 11:56:14 am »

If not this morning, when did you hi-jack his account?    Grin

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 01:30:38 pm »

I am glad you all sense the passion in my comments here. If I, an affirmed liberal who loves government can see there is a problem with state funding of schools, then maybe then others can understand. If you want to stop the out of control state government spending in all other areas, vote for this bill. If it takes away 5% or 10% of the funding from the other departments, they will be forced to look at their own wasteful spending.

Vote yes on state question 744 and tell the legislature to stop the out of control state government and fund our schools at the level we need so our students can compete.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 01:33:54 pm »

Vote yes on state question 744 and tell the legislature to stop the out of control state government and fund our schools at the level we need so our students can compete.

Okay, I am getting scared now. Has anyone checked on the temperature in hell lately?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 01:48:57 pm »

33F and dropping

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 02:24:57 pm »

I am glad you all sense the passion in my comments here. If I, an affirmed liberal who loves government can see there is a problem with state funding of schools, then maybe then others can understand.

This part is still liberal, not spending enough.  You're OK here.

If you want to stop the out of control state government spending in all other areas, vote for this bill. If it takes away 5% or 10% of the funding from the other departments, they will be forced to look at their own wasteful spending.

This is the part where we think someone has a weapon to your head.   Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 02:35:31 pm »

That or I was looking to see if they had a beer bash at the MET this morning, no evidence of that.  I better call his wife and have her check his meds.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »

That or I was looking to see if they had a beer bash at the MET this morning, no evidence of that.  I better call his wife and have her check his meds.

I think there is really only one cure for what's ailing RM:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:58:39 pm by guido911 » Logged

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 03:00:11 pm »

That would be great if the numbers showed a direct correlation between student performance and per student funding, but it does not.  Many of the best funded districts have some of the worst student performance, and many of the lowest funded districts have excellent student performance.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 03:09:47 pm »

That would be great if the numbers showed a direct correlation between student performance and per student funding, but it does not.  Many of the best funded districts have some of the worst student performance, and many of the lowest funded districts have excellent student performance.

It's cheaper and easier to teach kids that want to learn. I'm sure you can overlay poverty rates on that and find that poverty is a great driver in cost.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 03:43:19 pm »

It's cheaper and easier to teach kids that want to learn. I'm sure you can overlay poverty rates on that and find that poverty is a great driver in cost.

You would think so, and I'm sure that is a factor, but some of the poorest districts in states with the lowest spending actually show the highest performance.  For instance. . . North Dakota is 37th in spending, yet the kids are ranked 4th in the nation in reading and math.  North Dakota has an average income of about $47k per household.

Maryland, New Jersey and Connecticut boast our highest average household incomes, but out of those states only Connecticut scores in the top 10 (at #10) for student performance and Maryland (with the highest average income at almost $70K) scores in the bottom 20 (not that much higher than Oklahoma).

It's not the "how much", but the "how" that is most important.  Throwing money at things is easy.  Changing "how" we do things is hard. 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

I know that saying that throwing money at a problem doesn't work is a well-used catch phrase, but we have never actually tried it in education funding in Oklahoma. We have been 49th or so in funding kindergarten through 12th grade for a long, long time.

This question doesn't raise taxes. It just gives the legislature three years to fund education at the level they should have been doing all these years. Do we really want to continue to have stupider kids than Arkansas?

A no vote means that you are satisfied with the way Oklahoma spends its money. A yes vote changes everything and takes care of the children. How can any of you vote no?

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 04:40:24 pm »

How can any of you vote no?

Here's one way to vote no:

Cheesy

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 05:29:45 pm »

A no vote means that you are satisfied with the way Oklahoma spends its money. A yes vote changes everything and takes care of the children. How can any of you vote no?

RM,
You have made some good points but I'm afraid we part company here.  744 will guarantee we spend more money but I don't think it will guarantee better school performance.

You said earlier "I just want better schools and I want the state to fund them."  I agree.  I think public schools should provide an acceptable level of education.  I think the state should support higher level minimum standard.  Opening a new can of worms, do you believe local areas should be allowed to support local schools above the state minimum?  I do.  If not, why not jump another level and say the federal government should support all schools equally, perhaps with some adjustment for cost of living and eliminate state and local funding.  Wow does that ever sound efficient.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:03 pm »

Whatever happened to Proposition 17 (I think) that we passed years ago.  It was supposed to be a cure all for the Public Schools and, as I remember, raised taxes to pay for it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org