A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:29:44 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Eagleton for Judge  (Read 4592 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: October 26, 2010, 07:23:43 pm »

If Guido can endorse a democrat, I can endorse a republican.

I am voting for John Eagleton for Judge. I have spoke to John a few times as councilor and he has been gracious, a good listener, and has always said smart things back. The last part is real important to me.

Sometimes you talk to people and they have no clue what you are saying or totally miss the point. I like it when people have an opinion, back it up with reason and make me even rethink my position. John is one of those guys.

As a councilor, we have spoke on contentious issues like drilling on city land or changing the city trash collection. Each time, I had my opinions but wanting to hear others before I expressed mine publicly. As a councilor, John always spoke of his constituents wishes first, then spoke of what he personally thought.

These qualities will make John a good judge.

Vote for John Eagleton.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:48 pm »

Can't argue with this one.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:56:47 am »

Can I ask what you know about Judge Morrissey?  I have met her multiple times and have been in continuing ed seminars with her.  She is extremely fair, consistent and smart as a whip.  She knows her stuff and backs it up with facts and the law.  She is personable, actually downright friendly, not one ounce of arrogance to her, and always available to help.  Since I work in Oil & Gas, her probate/heirship knowledge is extremely helpful, I have never seen her pass up an opprotunity to share her knowledge with others, in fact, she seeks opportunities to do so.

waterboy
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:53:24 am »

I am familiar with both these candidates. I really think Morrisey comports herself well, has good experience and I see no reason to replace her. John is a stand up guy and a reasonable councilor but I wish he had chosen another time or another judge to challenge.

As an aside, I'm skeptical of even voting for judges in a competitive manner. Seems like it messes with the whole balance of powers thing.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:59:59 am »

Michael Bates did a research piece on her.  Personally, I believe any judge who has been on the bench for any length of time will have had appeals filed against their judgement and in some cases, had their judgement overturned.

Here's the article:

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2010/10/reversing-linda-morrissey.html

Subsequent follow up

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2010/10/more-morrissey-misery-the-weisbe.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:48:37 am »

Michael Bates did a research piece on her.  Personally, I believe any judge who has been on the bench for any length of time will have had appeals filed against their judgement and in some cases, had their judgement overturned.

Here's the article:

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2010/10/reversing-linda-morrissey.html

Subsequent follow up

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2010/10/more-morrissey-misery-the-weisbe.html

I read the first piece and laughed at how appalled the author seemed to be about an appellate court stating that a district judge abused their discretion or erred as a matter of law. Those are not "smackdown" phrases, those are standards of review and very common legalese. Several of the commenters below the article made similar observations.

RM is a stand up guy for endorsing a repub. As for me, since I do not know Eagleton, it would be unfair for me to take a position.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:44:10 pm »

There is a wonderful opportunity coming up to "just say no".  The question on the ballot is whether Judge <insert name here> shall be retained? 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
inteller
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:33 pm »

vote for eagleton so at least he will be off the council.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 02:34:34 pm »

As much as I would love to find an alternative career for Mr. Eagleton (rather than serving on the City Council), I do not believe he should replace Judge Morrissey.  

For years, I have heard nothing but good things about Judge Morrissey from  people who work in various roles throughout the Tulsa community.  I appreciate that she has been such a good advocate for families, women and children...something that Oklahoma needs more of, given Oklahoma's horrible record on domestic violence, and women's/children's issues.

In 2007, the Tulsa County Bar Association nominated her for the Award for Outstanding Service to the Public.  Here are some excerpts from their nomination letter, which confirms everything I’ve ever heard about Judge Morrissey.  I have never heard such accolades about Mr. Eagleson's impact on the Tulsa community.

When she is not adjudicating disputes that touch on the most personal and painful events in the lives of ordinary individuals, such as divorces, probate matters, adoptions, guardianships, protective orders and other family matters, as well as criminal complaints, Judge Morrissey flexes her social worker muscles by actively participating in community service or educational projects, especially those that serve vulnerable populations, such as children, seniors, abused women, or people just plain down on their luck.

An active advocate for healthy families and children, Judge Morrissey helped organize the Families in Transition Program implemented by the Family Courts in Tulsa County, which was designed to help reduce animosity in divorce and custody proceedings by helping families negotiate agreed plans using mediators rather than courtrooms.  She also created a specialized docket solely to address child support enforcement issues for the Tulsa County District Court.  She has written numerous papers and articles (legal and otherwise) on domestic violence.

In 2006, she organized and moderated a bevy of experts to speak to fifth through twelfth grade students about the social, financial, health and legal implications of drug and alcohol abuse by teenagers.... The year before she organized a similar seminar for high school students and their parents, which drew over 600 teenagers and 450 parents.

Her devotion to children’s issues led to her appointment to the Governor’s Commission for Children and Youth.

After a considerable stint on the criminal docket, Judge Morrissey was appointed as Chairperson of the Women Offender Task Force for Tulsa County and the Governor’s Task Force on Women Offenders.  She also authored the Community Sentencing Reference Book for Oklahoma Judges and is the co-author of “Community Sentencing in Oklahoma: Offenders Get a Second Change to make a First Impression,” which was published in the Tulsa Law Journal (36 Tul.L.J.767 (2001)).

The Tulsa community knows that Judge Morrissey is the go-to person for spearheading, organizing or speaking on issues of families and children, domestic violence, probate, adoptions, criminal and family law.  In 2003, her extraordinary service was recognized by the Oklahoma Commission on the Status of Women, when she was inducted into the Oklahoma Women’s Hall of Fame.  The TCBA concurs that Judge Morrissey’s induction into the Hall of Fame was well deserved and likewise enthusiastically endorses her for the OBA’s Outstanding Service to the Public Award.

Denizen
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 07:09:14 am »

The question should not be whether Eagleton would make a good judge, but whether we should replace an incumbent. Electing judges invites expensive campaigns based solely on name recognition. That's how we ended up with Judge Hogue. Judge Morrissey is doing a good job, so she should be retained.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 01:15:44 pm »

Vote them ALL OUT!!!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org