A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 01:27:15 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Mayor to meet with Oklahoma Governor elect  (Read 7868 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: November 03, 2010, 03:38:28 pm »

It'd be great if something positive comes of this.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20101103_11_0_MayorD442510

Mayor Dewey Bartlett plans to meet with Gov.-elect Mary Fallin “next week or very soon” to discuss plans about Tulsa’s future, he said Wednesday during a news conference.

“We want to make certain that we have a lot of input on the economic development decisions that are made regarding Oklahoma because Tulsa in my view needs to be at the top of the list,” Bartlett said.

He said he knows that is how Fallin sees Tulsa, “I just want to emphasize that we are here to help and give assistance, but we have very specific interests, and we’d like to talk to her about them.”

The mayor noted development of the Arkansas River, saying that would require such measures as state-supported tax incentive financing districts and bonds.

He said he is seeking "just a general commitment of using the office of the governor to make river development a top priority."

The mayor said he has known Fallin for several decades since she first got involved in politics.

“We’re very fortunate with the relationship that I have with the governor-elect,” he said. “I believe we will continue to have a very strong relationship while she’s in office.”

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »

It'd be great if something positive comes of this.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20101103_11_0_MayorD442510

Mayor Dewey Bartlett plans to meet with Gov.-elect Mary Fallin “next week or very soon” to discuss plans about Tulsa’s future, he said Wednesday during a news conference.

“We want to make certain that we have a lot of input on the economic development decisions that are made regarding Oklahoma because Tulsa in my view needs to be at the top of the list,” Bartlett said.

He said he knows that is how Fallin sees Tulsa, “I just want to emphasize that we are here to help and give assistance, but we have very specific interests, and we’d like to talk to her about them.”

The mayor noted development of the Arkansas River, saying that would require such measures as state-supported tax incentive financing districts and bonds.

He said he is seeking "just a general commitment of using the office of the governor to make river development a top priority."

The mayor said he has known Fallin for several decades since she first got involved in politics.

“We’re very fortunate with the relationship that I have with the governor-elect,” he said. “I believe we will continue to have a very strong relationship while she’s in office.”

Better have his new phone ready...to make sure the one he currently has doesn't catch fire...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »

He should take some state troopers with him.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »

He should take some state troopers with him.

He'd likely not come back with the same amount he left with...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 03:48:28 pm »

I'm hoping there will be something helpful for Tulsa to come out of this.
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:51 pm »

What helpful has come out of anything DB has done yet?  I wish he wouldn't make the trip, he will likely ruin whatever chance Tulsa has of getting anything . . .

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:58 pm »

Dewey again shows he is the same lame, rich idiot he has always been.  Oh, well, maybe next election.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 09:36:56 am »

Dewey again shows he is the same lame, rich idiot he has always been.  Oh, well, maybe next election.

Hopefully Tom Adelson runs again, and by that time Obama won't be a factor like it was last November (and this year too).  Tom has great ideas and leadership, it still baffles me he wasn't elected. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:52:14 am »

Hopefully Tom Adelson runs again, and by that time Obama won't be a factor like it was last November (and this year too).  Tom has great ideas and leadership, it still baffles me he wasn't elected. 

You forget which state we live in...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 10:03:02 am »

I guess my optimism stemmed from the mayor and the governor elect seeming to be two peas in a pod.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:05:28 am »

Tom does have great ideas.  I'm not so sure about the leadership aspect though, what I thought he had disappeared in the election and it wasn't anything his opponents did either.  He self-destructed and was poorly handled by his advisors.  He buckled under the pressure of the campaign and came off as a temper-tantrum throwing twit.  You simply cannot campaign in one of the most conservative-voting cities in the country as a proud liberal.

I'm a Republican and I started out supporting Tom and ended up voting for Perkins.  Tom lost me when he had his melt-down on KRMG.  That, I'm quite sure is in the archives and will be re-played by any opponent.  He will never be mayor of Tulsa, Governor of Oklahoma, and will never have a successful campaign for a national level office unless he moves to California or New York or somewhere else liberals are openly embraced.  He screwed himself.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 11:59:32 am »

Tom does have great ideas.  I'm not so sure about the leadership aspect though, what I thought he had disappeared in the election and it wasn't anything his opponents did either.  He self-destructed and was poorly handled by his advisors.  He buckled under the pressure of the campaign and came off as a temper-tantrum throwing twit.  You simply cannot campaign in one of the most conservative-voting cities in the country as a proud liberal.

I'm a Republican and I started out supporting Tom and ended up voting for Perkins.  Tom lost me when he had his melt-down on KRMG.  That, I'm quite sure is in the archives and will be re-played by any opponent.  He will never be mayor of Tulsa, Governor of Oklahoma, and will never have a successful campaign for a national level office unless he moves to California or New York or somewhere else liberals are openly embraced.  He screwed himself.

Kathy Taylor and Susan Savage were more left-leaning and both were elected mayor.  Midtown Tulsa is full of liberals, and conservatives that like and support Tom Adelson.  It would be the heavily Republican south Tulsa crowd that he would need to win over.  And if he ran against Dewey I think he would have a good chance.  I'm proud he is my state senator, of course District 33 is probably the most liberal in the state (along with 46 in Oklahoma City).

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 12:17:34 pm »

Midtown Tulsa is full of liberals, and conservatives that like and support Tom Adelson. 

Well, every place has some disadvantage.    Smiley

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 12:19:06 pm »

Like Dewey has ANY leadership capability....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
eDuece
Citizen

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »

Judging by how popular Dewey’s downsizing has been so far this year and the cold reception to the KPMG survey of suggested cuts, it’s going to be a rocky road for both of them. While we can all wish Mary Fallin well with her all conservative state legislature, what I’m looking forward to is all of them finally stepping up to all those campaign cliches about lower taxes, downsizing government and holding off the feds.  Mary Fallin’s solution to the 600 million hole in the upcoming state budget, so far, has been the always popular “eliminating waste and fraud” which along with the tooth fairy has always had a faithful following among cost cutters.
   The old neocon theory that the only way to cut government size and entitlements is not by repealing various legislation but rather to “starve the beast” by cutting off the funding i.e. tax cuts. This upcoming Oklahoma house, senate and governor will now have the perfect opportunity to see this conservative dream of downsizing to smaller government come true by being forced to whack at least 15% to 20% out of our “bloated” state budget and government.
   With no more fed stimulus money or rainy day funding coming, it’s going to be interesting to see where and how they cut those million out of the state budget and when and where the screams of pain will then start to come from.
   As the old saying goes, maybe we Oklahomans will finally get the government we deserve.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org