A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 08:22:55 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The revenuers are at it again  (Read 13439 times)
shadows
City Father

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 05:19:03 pm »

He meant Telegraph. He not only has trouble spelling, it just is made more difficult when you have to remember all the dots and dashes.
Good buddy that is not a misspelling but used to distinguish the telephone from the telegraph.  I have held a ham license for over 50 years.  I could key 40 words per minute when I was using it. The language is a combination between “ Short Hand” and code language.  When the 11 meter band was given to the “CB’er” which could get a license without examination and the development of cell phones laid to rest the experimental functions of persons who did develop much in electronics used today.

A electronic conversion of a check to a electric company, paid by the bank in September, and the check was destroyed leaving no record except on the bank statement, was credited to the electric bill this last week after having paid a late charge.

As far as naming the phone company the incident is just as ridicules in computer error. It was billed for a late charge and a flag on the internet account that saying it was closed whereas I sent a signed note with a check telling them not to reopen the internet account.  They have kept billing since October the monthly charge of the account and they sure deposited the check.  The contract expired 10 years ago and I have been unable to get a hard copy print out of the checks they had received last year.

I have now applied for poverty status so I can get one of those $1 month phones and waiting for stimulus money to come through to pay that $100, per month package charge to qualify for the $1 per month phone.     

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
buckeye
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:15 pm »

40 words per minute in Morse code?  Holy smokes!
shadows
City Father

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »

40 words per minute in Morse code?  Holy smokes!

To take the written exam it required performance to the examiner that one could send and receive 25 words per minute.  A lot of hams could work in the 60 plus range.

dbacks fan
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »

To take the written exam it required performance to the examiner that one could send and receive 25 words per minute.  A lot of hams could work in the 60 plus range.

Does TRRL still exist, and do they still do the annual drill where they would set up a station, usually it was the scenic overlook on the Keystone expressway, and try to see how many othe HAM's they could contact over a 48 hour period? (And yes I have a working SW radio, and a scanner that picks up 2 meter HAM)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:41:34 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 06:16:58 pm »

Does TRRL still exist, and do they still do the annual drill where they would set up a station, usually it was the scenic overlook on the Keystone expressway, and try to see how many othe HAM's they could contact over a 48 hour period? (And yes I have a working SW radio, and a scanner that picks up 2 meter HAM)

TRRL?  My dad was a Ham.  I remember ARRL.  I don't remember how many wpm he could send/read.  At one time I knew most of the code (slowly) but never finished learning.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 12:24:11 am »

I wanted to be a ham for a while, but then I realized I couldn't grok morse code. A few years back they eliminated the morse code requirement for all but the top license, and to my continuing shame I haven't bothered to take the exam and get a license.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
dbacks fan
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 09:16:47 am »

TRRL?  My dad was a Ham.  I remember ARRL.  I don't remember how many wpm he could send/read.  At one time I knew most of the code (slowly) but never finished learning.

I thought there was one. I think now that I have more time I'm going to take the test and get my license. I just keep thinking that with all the technology out there, when it falls down old fashioned HAM radio still works.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 11:42:31 am »

I just keep thinking that with all the technology out there, when it falls down old fashioned HAM radio still works.

But the only people you can talk to are the other HAM radio people.

There was a reason that this technology failed. Nobody who used it ever had any interesting to say.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 12:21:55 pm »

But the only people you can talk to are the other HAM radio people.

There was a reason that this technology failed. Nobody who used it ever had any interesting to say.

According to my dad (gone 10 years now):
Ham radio was not intended to appeal to the masses.  It was intended for radio nuts.  When my dad started, there was not much in the way of off-the-shelf equipment.  The Hams often designed and built their own rigs.  My dad did in the 1950s.  CB (Chicken Band) was intended for the people that just wanted to talk on the radio.  However, the days of winding solid 10 ga copper wire around an orange juice can to make the right size inductor are probably long gone.  The big purple glowing final amp tubes are mostly gone too.  Before he died, dad bought a computer controlled receiver and transmitter set (3 pieces, computer, receiver, and transmitter).  I hooked it up for him and he enjoyed talking to his brother and some other ham friends until he couldn't sit at the station. 

shadows
City Father

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 04:13:43 pm »

I am not aware the technology was lost at much was incorporated in the electronic evolution of today.  Time was when the spectrum above two meters was open for experimental ham nuts, now used by many government agencies and others including the TPD. 

The standard code can be sent by any source.  In a total disaster even beating a hollow log with a stick.  If the aligning of the planet predicted in 2012 were to create the predicted disaster the only commutations  would depend on these ham nuts.

RM: aware of your role on correct spelling and word usage, why do you not check the your wording before posting? 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 05:37:23 pm »

...why do you not check the your wording before posting? 

AWESOME

Power is nothing till you use it.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 06:45:16 pm »

AWESOME
The last key operator for Western Union in Tulsa (and I watched him) send/receive well above 60 words a minute, carry on a conversation vocal and write it on a typewriter, while in communications with ship key operators all over the world.

The story of a nut ham was told that the police department was sent out because he was striking the telephone poles along the alley with a sledge hammer.   It seemed that there was a wire that was not tight on the post and the arcing sent out a signal.  He was trying make it fuse back together.  Even the police had a hard time believing his story.       

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org