A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 03:15:56 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Arizona Massacre  (Read 102956 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2011, 05:17:54 pm »

Got it.  Republicans are psychotic killers.  Has nothing to do with one sick dude.

You got that right. Remember late last year when Florida Republican Congressman Paul Kanjorski wanted to put Gov. Scott up against a wall and shoot him? No? That's because Kanjorski is actually a democrat.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/01/ex-rep-paul-kanjorski-d-pa-fla-gov-rick-scott-they-ought-put-him-

And now for the inevitable "let's kill Palin" meme from the non-violent left (I cannot verify the accuracy of this site).

http://punditpress.blogspot.com/2011/01/crazed-liberals-palin-must-be.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2011, 05:25:39 pm »

(I cannot verify the accuracy of this site).

Speaks volumes
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »

Good advice.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2011, 08:12:25 pm »

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:44 pm »

That folks is what batshit crazy looks like.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2011, 11:05:27 pm »

Don't be so sure. According to the CjC, that's what a Tea Partier/Sarah Paliner looks like.  Grin

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2011, 11:19:42 pm »

Don't be so sure. According to the CjC, that's what a Tea Partier/Sarah Paliner looks like.  Grin

Pretty original Tony.  Don't forget your Cardigan when you and BB have your 'reunion' this weekend.

Grin

Oh, and BTW, pretty good article here by Dana Milbank:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/10/AR2011011005321.html

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:47 pm »

Bullshit, he picked up the Goddamn gun and carried this out because he's nuts. 
Perhaps we should consider improving access to mental health care and figure out a way of keeping guns out of the hands of crazy people, whether that means making more effective use of laws already on the books or passing new laws and appropriating more money.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2011, 11:55:27 pm »

I'm quite sure that no one intended this to be taken as anything than a joke, right?

Until sometime this evening, this sticker was available for sale at the famous liberal site, patriotshop.us

Not to be outdone, rightwingstuff.com has its own version:

At least that one doesn't depict bullet holes in the donkey. 

Just a little harmless fun with metaphors, huh? 

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2011, 11:58:32 pm »

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2011, 12:58:58 am »

The more I think about it, the more I think "crazy" is just a cop-out to avoid the responsibility which we (almost) all bear to some degree or another. Think about it: The moment somebody assassinates a political leader, they will invariably be labeled as crazy no matter how rational or irrational their thought process that led them to the assassination.

Also, statistically speaking, most assassins in the US since 1949 have not been crazy, and even the ones who were rarely the sort of delusional crazy, and even among those, they usually had a thought process that would seem rational to us sane people, just founded on mistaken assumptions.

For example (from a Secret Service-funded study in the late 90s): "Subjects who were clearly mentally ill often had defined (and technically 'rational') motives ... HJ, though psychotic, reasoned that if he attacked a high-ranking official, there would be a major investigation. During that investigation, HJ figured, the illegal CIA spy satellite system that had harassed him would come to public attention. While, in reality, there was no satellite system harassing HJ, had he attacked a senior federal official, there would have been a major investigation."

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:00 am »

Perhaps we should consider improving access to mental health care and figure out a way of keeping guns out of the hands of crazy people, whether that means making more effective use of laws already on the books or passing new laws and appropriating more money.

More laws and more money won't improve lack of compliance with present laws.

If Loughner had not been adjudicated as mentally insane, a legal U.S. citizen or legal foreign national, had not had in-patient treatment, and no prior felony he could legally purchase a weapon.  A felony should automatically be on his NCIC file.  Being judged as insane or having been in-patient at the ho-ho hotel would not necessarily wind up in someone's NCIC file.  I believe you could work within the existing framework of laws to improve reporting from various agencies but it simply illustrates how inefficient our bloated government already is.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2011, 10:14:43 am »

The more I think about it, the more I think "crazy" is just a cop-out to avoid the responsibility which we (almost) all bear to some degree or another. Think about it: The moment somebody assassinates a political leader, they will invariably be labeled as crazy no matter how rational or irrational their thought process that led them to the assassination.

Also, statistically speaking, most assassins in the US since 1949 have not been crazy, and even the ones who were rarely the sort of delusional crazy, and even among those, they usually had a thought process that would seem rational to us sane people, just founded on mistaken assumptions.

For example (from a Secret Service-funded study in the late 90s): "Subjects who were clearly mentally ill often had defined (and technically 'rational') motives ... HJ, though psychotic, reasoned that if he attacked a high-ranking official, there would be a major investigation. During that investigation, HJ figured, the illegal CIA spy satellite system that had harassed him would come to public attention. While, in reality, there was no satellite system harassing HJ, had he attacked a senior federal official, there would have been a major investigation."

I don't know what stats you are referring to but there's got to be something wrong with a person who can devise and carry out a very public or well-publicized deadly assault like this.  Saying he's crazy doesn't absolve him of responsibility, it's simply attaching a motive to a completely senseless crime.

Using the "insanity" defense may be a cop-out in some cases.  Fortunately, most of those cases have very good evidence that the person on trial committed the crime, they simply are sent to long-term or permanent lock-down in a high security mental institution rather than a prison.  At least they are removed from society.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:32 am »

I don't know what stats you are referring to but there's got to be something wrong with a person who can devise and carry out a very public or well-publicized deadly assault like this.  Saying he's crazy doesn't absolve him of responsibility, it's simply attaching a motive to a completely senseless crime.

Using the "insanity" defense may be a cop-out in some cases.  Fortunately, most of those cases have very good evidence that the person on trial committed the crime, they simply are sent to long-term or permanent lock-down in a high security mental institution rather than a prison.  At least they are removed from society.

Crazy has to rise to the level of really not knowing or understanding right from wrong before you can discuss his not being responsible. His actions certainly seem crazy, but also show from what I have read that he certainly also knew what he was doing was wrong. The way this was premeditated over a long period of time, the notes in the safe and his smirk in his police photo show someone that is firmly in control and understands what is going on and seemingly is enjoying the ride. His hatred for the government and the Congresswoman may not be rational, but his decision to act on that hatred was his. We all probably hate something in life but don’t choose to kill over it.

Think about this. 80% of murders happen between people that know each other. And over half of murders are between people that have a romantic or social relationship. Mostly these killings rise out of angry arguments where the killer loses control of his/her anger and does something really stupid that they later regret. Those killers aren’t really in control of their actions, even less so than this kid, but they are still guilty of murder.

His perception of world may not be the same as other peoples, but he’s very culpable for the crime. At least from what I have heard so far.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-18836426.html
joiei
City Father

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2011, 12:57:06 pm »

A thoughtful and well presented start for conversation.    http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-get-this-straight.html

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org