A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 08:32:19 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Texas tollway question  (Read 27354 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »

Hoss, the old Transcore transponders were the same was what most toll agencies were using also. The sticker doesn't really give them anything new on that front.
It baffles me as to why OTA doesn't just buy some portable tags to go with their window stickers. Of course, it also baffled me that they didn't spend the extra 5c per tag to get the Transcore tag with the user-replaceable battery. If I could get OTA to activate it, I'd never have to switch to the RFID tag. Tongue

I think when we last looked at the stickers, all that was required was for them to be affixed to some glass about the thickness of a windshield to complete the circuit and operate properly.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 02:40:14 pm »

I think when we last looked at the stickers, all that was required was for them to be affixed to some glass about the thickness of a windshield to complete the circuit and operate properly.
Yeah, but it's much handier to just spend the $20 and not have to deal with cutting the glass and affixing suction cups to it.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 02:50:31 pm »

Yeah, but it's much handier to just spend the $20 and not have to deal with cutting the glass and affixing suction cups to it.

Might be an answer of sorts for occasional trailer towing.  I would hope the OTA could package it.  Then if I was towing a trailer, I could suction cup it to the windshield and take it down when I took the trailer off.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »

Might be an answer of sorts for occasional trailer towing.  I would hope the OTA could package it.  Then if I was towing a trailer, I could suction cup it to the windshield and take it down when I took the trailer off.
They can. The portable RFID tags are compatible with the windshield stickers. OTA is just being stupid for some reason.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 03:42:19 pm »

I hope the OTA comes up with a better solution for occasional trailer towing than the proposed phone call method for the new windshield stickers.  I like the concept of taking off the 2 axle pikepass and installing the 3 axle pikepass and vs.  The one not in use can be kept in the glovebox wrapped in the anti-static bag to prevent its activation when going through a toll station. Providing a half hour notice before I pick up or drop off my trailer is not going to be reliable in my opinion.

My solution is that they can figure it out if they want....heck if I am gonna call them to tell them anything! Since most trailers don't need tags in Oklahoma how are they gonna know anyway? I have no sympathy for the toll owners in this state.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »

My solution is that they can figure it out if they want....heck if I am gonna call them to tell them anything! Since most trailers don't need tags in Oklahoma how are they gonna know anyway? I have no sympathy for the toll owners in this state.

It would be very easy to visually I.D. my trailer.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 11:59:57 am »

I called OTA yesterday and asked about the trailer situation.  They will have portable pikepasses for $25 each that do not have batteries. It would be a one time charge.  They will be temporarily attached to the windshield like the present ones.  When towing a trailer, take off the regular portable one and install the 3 axle portable one just like now.  This will take 2 passes so for $50, you won't have to do the telephone call a half hour before.  If you want to do this, tell OTA you want portable passes when they recall your present battery powered one.

I also asked if there is any plan to tie into the Texas network.  The lady said it had been discussed but nothing is planned for at least a year.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 01:13:00 pm »

Oh, good to hear that they finally got their heads out of their butts on this. Hopefully they're more distinctive than the old ones. It was easy to confuse the different portable tags. If the Pikepass is also gray and white, I'll have a hell of a time telling which one is my sunpass and which one is my pikepass.  Tongue

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 10:12:32 am »

Oh, good to hear that they finally got their heads out of their butts on this. Hopefully they're more distinctive than the old ones. It was easy to confuse the different portable tags. If the Pikepass is also gray and white, I'll have a hell of a time telling which one is my sunpass and which one is my pikepass.  Tongue

The OTA frowns upon writing on the pass directly with a Sharpie (also known as a Bluntie after a while.)  They do seem to accept a stick-on paper tag like a return address sticker.  The last time I got a new 3 axle pass, they labeled it as such with a stick on label.  I used a label from one of those sheets of labels you can use in a printer to label the regular pass. 

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 10:57:17 pm »

A friend at work showed me his new decal pikepass; he just attached it to a piece of rectangular plexiglas and says it works fine.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 12:01:04 am »

A friend at work showed me his new decal pikepass; he just attached it to a piece of rectangular plexiglas and says it works fine.

That's mildly surprising.

BaltimorePoke
Citizen

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:21 am »

I've driven 121 several times now since my parents moved to Dallas and my sister has too since she lives in Norman.  Neither of us have received a bill from Texas.  They told us that out of state drivers are not charged for the tollway.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 11:08:16 am »

I've driven 121 several times now since my parents moved to Dallas and my sister has too since she lives in Norman.  Neither of us have received a bill from Texas.  They told us that out of state drivers are not charged for the tollway.

Sweet. I know I've driven various Dallas-area tollways for free and not been charged. Sounds like a good reason for Texans to register their cars in other states.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:09 am »

Sounds like a good reason for Texans to register their cars in other states.

The Governor would force them to get a sexually transmitted virus.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 02:37:54 pm »

That's mildly surprising.

He has since added that it works as long as the back of the pikepass is pressed up against the windshield, so apparently it doesnt matter which side capacitively couples with glass as long as it's actually in contact with glass.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org