A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 05:48:14 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What new establishment would you like downtown?  (Read 53953 times)
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 02:28:47 pm »

Meant to say "Shop" Smiley  Fixed it

Darn. I was hoping some new places were in development.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »

How about a Mahogany or McGill's since those are both area companies?  I've never eaten at Ruth's Chris so I cannot comment as to the food or experience, I simply tend to try to be more loyal to local companies and proprietors.

Besides, why would you support Ruth's Chris?  Major Sean Hannity sponsor Wink

With the current retail/entertainment/dining-scape in downtown, I'd love to see some sort of dense residential or mixed-use development which includes reasonably affordable residential to the east of the Joe Momma's/Boomtown/Max/Back Alley area.

Re: steak . . . . I don't have anything against the local options, but at least with the folks I deal with, a national chain would have some cache and trustworthiness. 

But if Hannity's involved, sheeeeeit . . . . let's have a Sullivan's instead.

Also: more retail is a must-have.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »

Movie Theater.  Preferably Alamo Drafthouse or Studio Movie Grill style, but even a basic theater would suffice as long as it is nice and attracts people downtown. 

Housing obviously.  It's slowly coming around, but I'd like for it to speed up.

Retail.  Crate & Barrel would be a good addition to Tulsa, but they are usually part of shopping complexes, not by themselves.  Ikea would be the ideal, it would draw people in from out of town, but its a pipedream I know.

As far as the parking lot surrounded by McNellies, Joe Mommas, etc, I wouln't mind if that lot were landscaped and kept a parking lot as long as businesses were developed around it.  A well landscaped lot with a park feature would work, and give great views of the surrounding venues.  Also provide parking since, as much as I know people want a pedestrian only area, attracting people downtown will always require parking as Okies will not be giving up their cars anytime soon.  Just a thought.  I also would not mind seeing it infilled if it were the right development.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 03:56:17 pm »

What boutique shopping is there besides Dwelling Spaces? Downtown, Cherry Street and Brookside are all lacking in cool places to shop.

Spexton
Lyon's Indian Store
Lee's Bicycles
Fleet Feet Sports
There was a winery on 3rd last I went by
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 03:58:15 pm »

Thanks. That is a very sad list.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 04:06:22 pm »

Another vote for Alamo Drafthouse... preferably in that huge parking lot south of McNellie's.

'twould be awesome.

+1 with a main entrance and neon marquee fronting Elgin with structured parking for the district directly to the east.  That will hopefully free up some of the surface lots for redevelopment without losing parking.

I'll add that the lot between Cincinnati, Detroit, 2nd and 3rd would be perfect for a new urban park that bridges the gap between the CBD and Blue Dome.  It could even have parking underneath.  It would be the catalyst to restaurant/retail/residential redevelopment around it, and would visually connect the business district and main gateway to the BOK Center (and PAC) with the Blue Dome area (especially with the rooftop signs still visible across the park).  Maybe a new library, science museum, cultural attraction, et al could eventually be built facing this park, like on the surface lot fronting 3rd.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:12:03 pm by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 04:11:37 pm »

Thanks. That is a very sad list.

It's a start and considering it consists of all existing businesses which chose to relocate there.

Grizzle, where is Spexton's now?  I noticed they are not down near 3rd & Kenosha anymore.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:43 pm »

Ikea would be the ideal, it would draw people in from out of town, but its a pipedream I know.

Pefect spot for an IKEA, Frankfort to Lansing, and 6th st to 4thst. Thats about the foot print of most IKEA stores. ~900,000sqft/20 Acres.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 04:13:03 pm »

Upscale steakhouse.  Ruth's Chris would be my preference.

Ruth's Chris is upscale?  I wasn't impressed at the one I went to (granted it was wayback and in Houston in the early 90s).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 05:14:26 pm »

I know this building on 1st between Detroit & Elgin that would make housing.  The bricks are in meticulous condition.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:55 pm »

Wasn't Ruth's Chris supposed to go in the stalled (dead?) shopping center proposed for the SW corner of 61st & Yale?

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:58 pm »

Ruth's Chris is upscale?  I wasn't impressed at the one I went to (granted it was wayback and in Houston in the early 90s).

Upscale in the sense of "expensive," which in some sectors is synonymous.  The ones I've been to (as recent as last year) are pretty swank and modern yet comfortingly corporate.  Think of it this way:  you'd find them anchoring only the finest malls in suburbia. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 09:17:00 pm »

Upscale in the sense of "expensive," which in some sectors is synonymous.  The ones I've been to (as recent as last year) are pretty swank and modern yet comfortingly corporate.  Think of it this way:  you'd find them anchoring only the finest malls in suburbia. 

Which probably explains why it was on Richmond Rd.  I guess it's still there.  Probably explains all the more why I wasn't impressed.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 09:31:04 pm »

I think we are just about good to go on the eating front.  We are now far more lacking in shopping.  Also a movie theater would be nice and of course more living.  

I don't really go out to the clubs or bars anymore.  I perhaps go downtown to eat about, on average, once or twice a month. I also go down there for the occasional meeting.  I would like to have more reasons to go downtown than those things.  If I could go to walk around a bit and do some shopping, and eating. then that would add perhaps another day or two per month to my "trips to downtown".  Add in a movie theater and a museum or two, then you have got me down there spending money, and also likely eating, perhaps one more day a month.  Events like Mayfest and the occasional concert add a few more times per year.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:45:31 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TulsaEx
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

Urban Zipline!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org