A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:30:08 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rick Perry has almost killed Texas and now he wants to be President of America  (Read 16390 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 09:07:56 pm »

I actually know not to ask questions I don't know the answer to but I will anyway.

How does that compare to other states?

As a guess, it's probably close to some other states, but the "below minimum wage" how can you count that, other than wait staff in restauraunts, since it is illegal to pay below minimum wage?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 09:15:46 pm »

As a guess, it's probably close to some other states, but the "below minimum wage" how can you count that, other than wait staff in restauraunts, since it is illegal to pay below minimum wage?

I don't know about counting wait staff wages beyond assuming a certain tip level for the IRS and SS.  My sister worked in some "cowboy bars" in the OKC area in the early 80s and was making more $ than me with a Masters degree in engineering.  Admittedly, she worked some double shifts but she was still hauling in the $.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 08:41:56 am »

The national average of workers being paid at or below minimum wage is 3%.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2008.htm

Here is the New York Times take...

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/07/17/the-texas-jobs-juggernaut/the-minimum-wage-trap-in-texas

Power is nothing till you use it.
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 12:27:12 pm »

And here's another take on the "Texas Mirace" myth:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/opinion/the-texas-unmiracle.html?_r=1

I can't stand Perry for so many reasons, but the main one, which goes for all the Tea Party darlings, is the hypocrisy (and the irony) of those who claim to have this disdain and loathing of the federal government, and who want to completely dismantle and diminish it, yet are so desperate to become a part of it, and get paid by it, and become famous from it.

READ MY LIPS: NO NEW TEXANS

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 07:09:36 pm »

READ MY LIPS: NO NEW TEXANS
Or Connecticuters.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 07:31:48 pm »

Do you think he's dumb enough?

Rick Perry Knocks Evolution Again: 'God Is How We Got Here'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/20/rick-perry-evolution-intelligent-design_n_932073.html

Send Perry contributions!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 12:06:19 pm »

You claim to have been out of work for nearly 3 years but were only sleepless for weeks?

Don't worry, be happy....

Out of work for 3 years is nowhere near as scary as thinking for a few weeks that I might have to move to Baja Oklahoma!!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 12:13:23 pm »

I don't know about counting wait staff wages beyond assuming a certain tip level for the IRS and SS.  My sister worked in some "cowboy bars" in the OKC area in the early 80s and was making more $ than me with a Masters degree in engineering.  Admittedly, she worked some double shifts but she was still hauling in the $.

I will bet you any odds you want that she is much prettier than you!  Brains don't mean squat.  Looks will trump them every time!

Corollary; did you ever see a pretty engineer??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 01:54:56 pm »

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/08/24/inhofe-im-backing-perry/

Way to go Inhofe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20110824_336_0_USSenJ665031

U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe said Wednesday that he plans to endorse Texas Gov. Rick Perry for president.

"I called Rick Perry a year ago and told him, 'If you're running for president, I'll be the first to endorse you,'" Inhofe said at a State Chamber of Commerce breakfast at the Tulsa Press Club.

"I'm going to be that person on Monday."

Inhofe said he "likes Mitt Romney, but he's a little mushy on environmental issues" and "Newt Gingrich, I always have this vision of him sitting on the couch holding hands with Nancy Pelosi," but that he has no reservations about Perry.

Inhofe said he also thinks Perry has the best chance of any Republican to defeat Democratic incumbent Barack Obama.

Inhofe had previously thought another potential candidate had a chance against Obama.

"That person was John Thune, the senator from South Dakota. The reason I say that is he's taller than Obama is, he's better looking than Obama is, and he's the same age Obama is. He would have made a good candidate, but he's not running."

Come on Jim....mushy? Tell the truth, your constituents would go batty if you backed a candidate from that Christian cult. Shocked Whatever, Ricky Perry and you are twins.

Remember, send your checks to Perry for President NOW!
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »

Wow!  His "pull no punches" approach has now put him in the lead.  Romney is choking on his dust.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/149180/Perry-Zooms-Front-Pack-2012-GOP-Nomination.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines%20-%20Politics

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 02:27:51 pm »

Wow. All this and the elections are still 15 months away. It make my brain hurt.

Sent from my AT&T Atrix4G with Tapatalk

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 02:52:23 pm »

Wow, Pawlenty for all his hype, simply never took off.  So let's say Perry is the nominee, would Cain be a smart choice for VP since he could appeal to the minority vote and bring a message that he could get black people back to work?

Or do you worry more about white moderates who would like Romney involved somewhere in the Admin?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 03:20:19 pm »

Wow, Pawlenty for all his hype, simply never took off.  So let's say Perry is the nominee, would Cain be a smart choice for VP since he could appeal to the minority vote and bring a message that he could get black people back to work?

Or do you worry more about white moderates who would like Romney involved somewhere in the Admin?

I think Cain would be a good choice. . .and frankly race is not something to be concerned about.  If the message is clear, and opportunity is promoted over dependency, people of all races, religions, and sleep-numbers will be attracted.  I know it's politics and people feel that they need to tailor their messages to different groups, but I find that practice repugnant, because it demonstrates the need to change your message based on your audience.

Neither Cain or Perry will be successful in cultivating any liberal cross-over because neither of them are offering to give away free smile!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »

I see Inhofe and his followers around here are still into "fantasy politics". Good. Keeps you away from those fantasy football leagues. Have you all considered Palin for Interior and Bachman for Secretary of State? I know, she's a natural for Defense but....

Huntsman is the only reasonable Republican left. Too smart for Inhofe I'm sure.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 05:27:05 pm »

I will bet you any odds you want that she is much prettier than you!  Brains don't mean squat.  Looks will trump them every time!

Corollary; did you ever see a pretty engineer??

Yep, she (even still) looks a lot better than me.  She's smart too, PHD in societal effects of the hunta (I know the spelling is incorrect) carried by mice etc.

I have met met female engineers, some of them were not too bad looking.  There's not too many Miss America category women in most careers.  They are kind of average like most guys are.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org