A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 09:24:58 pm
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 421328 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #915 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:41 pm »

He will run for office some day as a Democrat and it will be brushed off as "youthful indiscretion"  Tongue
Yep.

I have about had it with these rapists and drug users/dealers being the "fringe" that every movement has. There have so many examples of this conduct just in this thread that dispels that notion. More importantly, though, is that I would like to know from OWS supporters in what way the tea party "fringe" in any way acted like OWS fringe. Give me a list of the sexual assaults, vandalism, drug dealing, cop car crapping, child endangerment and, in general, the arrests that took place during tea parties.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #916 on: November 03, 2011, 08:29:53 pm »

I didn't think an E-6 got 50 grand a year?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #917 on: November 03, 2011, 08:45:02 pm »

He may have factored in medical insurance, BAH, BAS, overseas duty, hazardous duty pay, etc...A lot of people (including me) consider this as part of their total compensation. When I was in, I never made more than $1100 in base pay if memory serves, but with all the benefits it made it appear that I made much more.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:51:52 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #918 on: November 03, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

With basic pay and basic allowance for housing, an E-6 could be making $50K/yr.  BAH varies by area.  I picked Norfolk, VA area since that is where I was stationed (NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach, VA).  Oklahoma rates are lower.  My best basic pay was about $550/mo for E-5 over 4 yrs.  I only did 4 years active but went over 4 for pay purposes since I went in on a delayed entry program by 3 months.  I lived on base so I never got BAQ(H) or Comrats (Commuted rations).

http://www.navycs.com/2011-military-pay-chart.html

http://www.valoans.com/bah-rates-mha.cfm?state=VIRGINIA&mha=VA298

Edit:
I started at $333/mo as an E-3 in the fall of '72.  That was just after the "big pay raise" to try to bring military salaries more in line with civilian income.
One of my college friends, same degree, approx same grade point, started as an engineer for $10,800/yr ($900/mo).

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:34:15 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #919 on: November 03, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »

here: Ineptocracy (in-ept-oc-ra-cy) System of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. Ineptocracy: simply stated, "Entitlement Mentality" as in the mediocrity that is sinking Europe.

To wit:

Thursday night, Tulsa City councilors refused to vote on a permit to waive the park curfew at Centennial Green in Downtown Tulsa.

They could have nipped it in the bud, the escalation to violence, the inevitable lawsuits...  They chose not to choose.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #920 on: November 04, 2011, 06:48:02 am »

Wouldn't matter. They wanted violent confrontation, and would have found another way to accomplish it. That is why they planned for pepper spray attacks instead of planning to avoid them.

The next step for this movement (nationwide) will be loss of life.  They are attracted by the possibility of a Kent State moment.  Unfortunately they are not viewed as protesters, or even "revolutionaries."   They are pawns and sad children. The "I wants" vs the "I cans," force of will vs blind desire.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #921 on: November 04, 2011, 07:10:43 am »

To wit:
Thursday night, Tulsa City councilors refused to vote on a permit to waive the park curfew at Centennial Green in Downtown Tulsa.
They could have nipped it in the bud, the escalation to violence, the inevitable lawsuits...  They chose not to choose.

A co-worker heard an interview on the radio yesterday that indicated that all the protesters had to do to keep from getting arrested is to get off the grass and on the sidewalk.  Those who stay on the grass are asking to be arrested.

Having said that, "our" protesters don't seem to be doing any harm.  The city should give them a permit to occupy the park.  That would free up a bunch of police to do some good where they would actually be needed.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #922 on: November 04, 2011, 07:34:05 am »

I wondered why all these folks on lookwhogotbusted were arrested for "violation of park curfew"......

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #923 on: November 04, 2011, 08:12:55 am »

A co-worker heard an interview on the radio yesterday that indicated that all the protesters had to do to keep from getting arrested is to get off the grass and on the sidewalk.  Those who stay on the grass are asking to be arrested.

Having said that, "our" protesters don't seem to be doing any harm.  The city should give them a permit to occupy the park.  That would free up a bunch of police to do some good where they would actually be needed.

So couldn't homeless people just say they are "protesting" in the future? Hey we are just protesting ummm not having a house, the big companies should buy us one...so let us stay here if we get enough idiot TV people to cover the story....I think that letting them do what they want wouldn't be the best idea for these big babies...
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #924 on: November 04, 2011, 08:44:09 am »

Why do we care if homeless people sleep in the park or on the sidewalk right next to the park? 
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #925 on: November 04, 2011, 10:13:04 am »

I think they were trying to make the point that, in this case, the curfew was being unreasonably emphasized as a tool to curb free speech.
Yes, the smart thing to do would have been for the city to make an exception, but they ducked responsibility.
I had also read that they did earlier file for permits with the parks department but they were ignored.  Sounds like a Maria Barnes question.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #926 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:51 am »

We have hundreds of laws. Obviously we choose which ones/how much to enforce them based on several factors.

What damage are these people causing to warrant three dozen cops coming out nightly to arrest them?

It's on the order of using 35 cops to set up a jaywalking sting.

I don't want to hear a word about manpower or funding out of TPD. If they have enough to piss away all that manpower and funding to make some hippies move 10 feet, they have plenty of money.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #927 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:01 am »

I have always thought that grass was specifically designed to be walked on.  That's its job!
And to feed cows...

Like so many things, we make laws (don't walk on the grass) that go directly against nature!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #928 on: November 04, 2011, 10:42:26 am »

Wouldn't matter. They wanted violent confrontation, and would have found another way to accomplish it. That is why they planned for pepper spray attacks instead of planning to avoid them.

The next step for this movement (nationwide) will be loss of life.  They are attracted by the possibility of a Kent State moment.  Unfortunately they are not viewed as protesters, or even "revolutionaries."   They are pawns and sad children. The "I wants" vs the "I cans," force of will vs blind desire.

That's a crock....the anarchists are lepers for the %99 Movement. They know it and will continue to separate themselves using DC as their target. The truth be told is that the OWS protesters want a return to good paying jobs and a repeal of the Bush / Obama tax cuts. They want the corporate bribery of public officials to stop. Why is that so hard for some people to understand? End corporate influence in elections. End corporate influence and control of U.S. policy. Regulate corporate lobbying and donations.

Bravo TheTed!

And remember....stay off the grass Shocked
dbacks fan
« Reply #929 on: November 04, 2011, 10:47:36 am »

Occupy Spokane scaling back it's protests.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington?fId=133204553&fPath=/home&fDomain=10222
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org