A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 08:43:04 pm
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Large Downtown Tulsa Movie Theater  (Read 64293 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »

I guess what I'm try to say is that while it may be able to travel at 70mph I don't think it will average 70mph over the proposed route when you factor in the stops and the number of street crossings along the route.

I cannot disagree with that.  It would have to go really fast to average 70 with stops.

dbacks fan
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »

I cannot disagree with that.  It would have to go really fast to average 70 with stops.

I just can't imagine hitting the curve between Harvard and 21st at 70mph. Would be kind of like the last curve on Zingo looking at the houses across the street.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2011, 12:49:42 pm »

I just can't imagine hitting the curve between Harvard and 21st at 70mph. Would be kind of like the last curve on Zingo looking at the houses across the street.

It wouldn't be any worse than 70 mph in your car.  It's radius is between the radii of the inbound and outbound road surfaces on either side.  The train would probably be slowing down for going through the neighborhoods by then anyway.

JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:46 pm »

Hey guys.

Just saw this thread. Carltonplace is right. I've talked about the theater plans before. I'll answer as many of your questions as I can.

With the way some of the property in the Blue Dome is being held, the more reasonable development path is a linear one down Elgin. Several of the key properties are not available for development. The Santa Fe lot (across from Joe Momma's), for example, is owned by a gentlemen named John Williams (not of Williams companies). He does have high hopes for the land. He was in the running for the development currently going up across from the arena. Knowing this, one might understand why his sights are set a little higher than a movie theater right now.

The ideal spot for me right now is the Coliseum lot at 5th and Elgin. It is currently under contract by someone else. My understanding is that they hope to use part of it for parking. The good news is: so do we. I'd love to work out a deal to lease the space, build the development and share structured parking.

It would integrate with the Land Legacy park, bookend the ballpark on Elgin, the civic center on 5th and would be a nice lead in into the Pearl District on 6th. The theater would take up the west part of the lot (roughly 25-30,000 sq feet) and span from 5th to 6th.

So, that cat's out of the bag. That's my favorite spot for it. We're going to try to make that work. There are some backup spots in mind, though the arena area is not one of them.

As someone mentioned, my hope is that this development site spurs new development on Elgin and on 5th and 6th. It will be easy to access right off the 7th street exit.

Concept

The theater will be a 5 screen all digital theater with a large atrium gathering area, a balcony, a Tulsa movie museum, a full bar and a large kitchen. Four of the screens will be stadium seating and will be named The Ritz, Rialto, Orpheum, and Majestic. Each room will be patterned after the historic and tragically bulldozed Tulsa theater. The fifth screen will be in a flat floor banquet hall called The Will Rogers Banquet Hall. It will feature a full performance stage and large banquet seating. Naturally, the banquet room will be available for rent. It will host film festivals, second run movies, live shows, stand-up, etc.

All of the screens will have curtains that go up before the show.

Much like an old school theater experience, guests will gather in the large atrium room (think chandelier and terrazzo floors) up until the time the announcer invites the guests into the theater room. "Ladies and gentelmen, the 7:15 showing of Iron Man 4 is about to begin. Please take your seats in our Orpheum theater." At that time, guests will have a chance to cash out in the bar, wrap up their conversations and take their seats in the theater. I'm hoping for a real community experience before and after the show.

The theater will be 21 and over.

The seats are bigger and more comfortable than typical Tulsa theaters.

Tickets will be a buck or so more than at AMC.

We'll have a full menu of tasty food items as well as our take on traditional movie food.

We'll have a large round bar in the atrium and guests will be able to order drinks.

The whole feel is old school, so expect that type of decor, wardrobe, etc.

Our movies will be first run films in our stadium seating theaters.

We'll be open 365 days a year and will be open until late night on weekends. We'll try to start our movies on the off hour from the traditional movie times. Think 6 and 8 instead of 7 and 9.

Why downtown? Why this concept?

There is no theater within miles. It's easy for me to imagine most people I know in midtown choosing this concept downtown over anything at 41st and Yale.

This concept will appeal to people who...

don't like teenagers at their movies.

like to drink while watching a movie.

like the PAC's type of theater experience. It's about being seen, mingling, having great conversation and enjoying a nice movie.

prefer to eat tasty chef prepared food while watching a movie.

This theater is enough of a destination location to pull people from around the area. There's nothing like it in Tulsa. It's easy for me to imagine people driving a bit further for the full experience. Furthermore, the fact that we're locally owned and set up like we are means we'll be able to do fun promotions, special screenings, etc.

I've visited Alamo Draft House - It will be nicer than that.

I've visited a concept called iPix? - It will not be that nice. $35 tickets, a blanket, free popcorn, la-z-boys.

This will be the nicest movie concept in Tulsa by quite a bit and will be a great addition to a growing downtown scene.

As for how City Council will affect my developments, I don't see any problems or benefits at this time. I'll be building this according to the same set of rules that everyone else has to follow. Developments inside the CBD don't require zoning changes, etc. The only place I can see people calling foul is if I were to buy TDA property for a project....Not that the public needs things like facts to come to conclusions about politicians...or developers for that matter. =)

Sorry to take so long to answer your questions. I've been a little busy. If you have more questions, ask away.

Also, I love that the transit discussion keeps coming up. It's time for Tulsa to start thinking about how we're going to get around in the future. I'm glad to reply to any of that if you have questions there.

Thanks for being a part of the conversation and for caring enough to have opinions about our great city.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »

The theater will be a 5 screen all digital theater with a large atrium gathering area, a balcony, a Tulsa movie museum, a full bar and a large kitchen. Four of the screens will be stadium seating and will be named The Ritz, Rialto, Orpheum, and Majestic. Each room will be patterned after the historic and tragically bulldozed Tulsa theater. The fifth screen will be in a flat floor banquet hall called The Will Rogers Banquet Hall. It will feature a full performance stage and large banquet seating. Naturally, the banquet room will be available for rent. It will host film festivals, second run movies, live shows, stand-up, etc.

How do you plan on having a bar with the law not allowing it in any establishment that functions as a motion picture theater?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2011, 08:53:03 pm »

I'm not much of a movie goer but that part appeals to me.  I wish you good luck.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2011, 10:45:24 pm »

I'm not much of a movie goer but that part appeals to me.  I wish you good luck.

Over 21 at all times or just after a certain time?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2011, 06:27:51 am »

Over 21 at all times or just after a certain time?

I've been over 21 all the time for quite some time now.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:36 am »

I've been over 21 all the time for quite some time now.

hahaha, I might be over 21 24/7 but I'm only a part time adult.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2011, 08:52:12 am »

hahaha, I might be over 21 24/7 but I'm only a part time adult.

Hey!  I resemble that remark.

Grin

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2011, 10:42:22 am »

Thanks for the update, Blake.

This sounds pretty awesome.  Can't wait to check it out.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2011, 03:31:17 pm »

Hey guys.

Just saw this thread. Carltonplace is right. I've talked about the theater plans before. I'll answer as many of your questions as I can.

With the way some of the property in the Blue Dome is being held, the more reasonable development path is a linear one down Elgin. Several of the key properties are not available for development. The Santa Fe lot (across from Joe Momma's), for example, is owned by a gentlemen named John Williams (not of Williams companies). He does have high hopes for the land. He was in the running for the development currently going up across from the arena. Knowing this, one might understand why his sights are set a little higher than a movie theater right now.

Man, he composes a few high profile music pieces and he starts expecting the world...

My wife and I absolutely hate teenagers at movies.  Could you also do the "no cell phone"

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2011, 05:18:55 pm »

How do you plan on having a bar with the law not allowing it in any establishment that functions as a motion picture theater?

ABLE uses the following definition: 

23. “Motion picture theater” means a place where motion pictures are exhibited and to
which the general public is admitted, but does not include a place where meals, as defined by
this section, are served, if only persons over twenty-one (21) years of age are admitted;"

That is how it will work.  I think the Warren Theater in Moore is a similar concept, though on a much larger, suburban scale.  I am an attorney and I have some familiarity with ABLE issues.  The laws and regulations are pretty overwhelming, but there are also lots of exceptions and loopholes.  I think Warren admits children, but I am not familiar with how that works.  They may use different hours for their over 21 drinking patrons and family hours without alcohol.  But that is just a guess.  I'd be interested to look into it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2011, 06:14:24 pm »

If it seems like it would be "interesting" to look into doing... it is also probably "interesting" to try and enforce the rule.   Grin

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »

If it's nicer than the Warren in Moore (currently the nicest theater in the state and packed every weekend) and has a local "Tulsa" Alamo Drafthouse-like vibe then this will be a huge success. 

Wish this was closer to the action around 2nd & Elgin but could enhance future development to the south.  The KOTV site will be available soon and there's a great Deco industrial building at 4th that is begging to be renovated.  The only real downside is the ugly AT&T building across the street.  Would the main entrance face Elgin?  And will there be a big neon marquee!?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org