A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 02:34:16 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DUI as Entertainment  (Read 16968 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: November 08, 2011, 02:03:40 pm »

The network formerly known as "The Learning Channel," which brings you gems like "Sarah Palin's Alaska" and "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant," now brings you a "reality" show about the DUI industry in Oklahoma:

"Unlike COPS, the TLC show just focuses on drunk-driving suspects and follows their story from being pulled over and being interrogated, to, if necessary, arrest and sentencing. The show debuts Dec. 1 at 9 p.m."
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/11/08/tlc-drunk-driving-d-u-i/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:47:01 pm »

I love the one guy during the interview segment drinking a beer while talking about his experience.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:52:25 am »

Seems like our DUI laws are becoming "predatory" for lack of a better word. I wonder what the gross annual revenue is for this "industry".

Modified to add: Hope I don't wear out the quote key on my keyboard.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:16:49 am »

They are all about revenue and not public safety thats for sure......

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:32:38 am »

Most attorneys have established a flat DUI rate (upwards of $5,000).  For that, they will show up and plead guilty for you.

I have an old high school buddy that runs one of the most successful DUI firms in OKC.  He admits it's a racket that keeps him farting through silk.

The first step is to convince your client that you can help them.  The second step is to convince them to plead No Contest.  The third step is to set up a convenient payment plan.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:51:46 am »

Most attorneys have established a flat DUI rate (upwards of $5,000).  For that, they will show up and plead guilty for you.

I have an old high school buddy that runs one of the most successful DUI firms in OKC.  He admits it's a racket that keeps him farting through silk.

The first step is to convince your client that you can help them.  The second step is to convince them to plead No Contest.  The third step is to set up a convenient payment plan.

I think your second and third steps are reversed.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:08:33 am »

I think your second and third steps are reversed.

The local goverment has some steps too: 1. create a car culture with limited public transportation options and make sure any public transportation options stop running routes early in the night. 2. discourage private transportation options through a draconian set Licensing rules and circular Bureaucracies that overlap and contradict each other. 3. Encourage people to use their cars to go out and create income tax revenue to pay for a police force. 4. provide the police force with increasingly stingent laws so that capturing prey arresting law breakers can be done easily. 5. Cash in

Note: Of course I don't take drinking and driving lightly, it is a practice that needs to be discouraged, but people are going to go out and sometimes imbibe to much. We need to let them get out and get home with out their car.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:33:36 am »

Are the DUI schools run by the City......I have heard that.....

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 11:36:24 am »

Are the DUI schools run by the City......I have heard that.....

You mean the ones with all the cars in the parking lot while class is in session?  Not sure.
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:45:24 am »

The local goverment has some steps too: 1. create a car culture with limited public transportation options and make sure any public transportation options stop running routes early in the night. 2. discourage private transportation options through a draconian set Licensing rules and circular Bureaucracies that overlap and contradict each other. 3. Encourage people to use their cars to go out and create income tax revenue to pay for a police force. 4. provide the police force with increasingly stingent laws so that capturing prey arresting law breakers can be done easily. 5. Cash in

Note: Of course I don't take drinking and driving lightly, it is a practice that needs to be discouraged, but people are going to go out and sometimes imbibe to much. We need to let them get out and get home with out their car.

+1   What he said...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 11:57:55 am »

You mean the ones with all the cars in the parking lot while class is in session?  Not sure.

Yup...Those....

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 02:38:14 pm »

Is the one by the highway (I44) between Lewis and Riverside right next to the bar still there. That was always weird to me.

Thank you,
Robert Town
dbacks fan
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 02:39:59 pm »

There is an AA meeting place next to a bar in Scottsdale.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 02:46:18 pm »

There is an AA meeting place next to a bar in Scottsdale.

I'm looking for an AA meeting with a bar. 

Really helps you to open up.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 02:53:11 pm »

Seems like our DUI laws are becoming "predatory" for lack of a better word. I wonder what the gross annual revenue is for this "industry".

OHP and the Tulsa County Sheriff's are all over this.

TPD probably didn't participate for the same reason they wont do "COPS" episodes:  Some segments are scripted and cast.
That shows a great deal of integrity on TPD's part.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org