A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 11:58:55 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DUI as Entertainment  (Read 17107 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 08:48:39 am »

Are the DUI schools run by the City......I have heard that.....

Nope.  Privately owned as well as the victim impact panel company which is not affiliated with MADD.  One of our customers owns a DUI school.  I do believe though it helps to have friends in the legislature to get one up and going.  Sort of like a tag agency.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 08:59:13 am »

Note: Of course I don't take drinking and driving lightly, it is a practice that needs to be discouraged, but people are going to go out and sometimes imbibe to much. We need to let them get out and get home with out their car.

This is not difficult.  FAIK, you can take a tipsy tow 365 days a year where they will pick you and your car up.  Other than that, we've got cabs that run 24/7 as well.  It's not the city's responsibility to make sure drunks get home safe. 

Interesting dynamic here: when I was younger and more stupid than I am now Wink , I'd have a tendency to hand the keys over when I probably was still nearing the legal limit, but give me a few more beers and I figured I was fine to drive.  I'm real fortunate I was never arrested and never in a crash.  Certainly age has made me wiser but more than anything losing a family member and several friends to drunk drivers has made me give the problem a more honest appraisal.

The more cynical amongst you may view this as a fund raiser for law enforcement, but it's designed to make the stakes high enough to discourage drunk driving.  It's proven in countries where they've raised the risk to the point of job loss and long-term incarceration, incidence of DUI is almost nil.  Either we've not raised the stakes high enough because we are more concerned about the rights of someone to drive drunk over the rights of someone to drive home without being hit by a drunk driver or we are a nation of slow learners.  This is still one of the most easily preventable causes of death in the United States.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 09:27:06 am »

It's not the city's responsibility to make sure drunks get home safe. 

A better transit system
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 09:36:08 am »

This is not difficult.  FAIK, you can take a tipsy tow 365 days a year where they will pick you and your car up.  Other than that, we've got cabs that run 24/7 as well.  It's not the city's responsibility to make sure drunks get home safe.  

Agreed, it's not the city's responsibility.  The holiday free tipsy tows wouldn't quite get me home from downtown by about a mile or two.  I don't know what they cost otherwise.  I've heard it can be really difficult to impossible to get a cab around here unless you are at the airport.  That could really turn into an expensive few drinks, but better than a DUI or hurting or killing someone.

Public transit would be the answer for most people but I'd hate to have the transit system get the reputation of having nothing but a bunch of drunks on it.  The DUI limits are low enough that too drunk to drive would not necessarily mean too drunk to ride without being obnoxioius.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:05 am »

May not be the best time for the DUI industry:

With DUI arrests down inexperienced attorneys scramble for business
In this economy, it is not surprising when another industry announces a further reduction in its business. What is eye-opening is when one of those declines occurs in law firms that represent drivers charged with driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI).

Why the decline in business? Recently released federal statistics reveal that there has been a 30 percent drop in DUI/DWI arrests nationally over the last five years. In fact, arrests are at their lowest mark in nearly two decades, according to a new report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The decline may be due to the down economy. Other research suggests people are still drinking as heavily as in years past, so some may just be finding cheaper ways to do so than by going to bars, night clubs and restaurants. Still others suspect that the decline in DUI arrests is a result of a reduction in law enforcement efforts as the tough economy has caused a decline in the number of police officers patrolling the streets.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 10:04:04 am »

The decline may be due to the down economy. Other research suggests people are still drinking as heavily as in years past, so some may just be finding cheaper ways to do so than by going to bars, night clubs and restaurants. Still others suspect that the decline in DUI arrests is a result of a reduction in law enforcement efforts as the tough economy has caused a decline in the number of police officers patrolling the streets.[/font]

In a down economy, people drink cheap beer at home. Why do you think people buy beer distributors? Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 10:24:50 am »

In a down economy, people drink cheap beer at home. Why do you think people buy beer distributors? Wink

In a down economy, people drink beer at home.
In a really down economy, people drink cheap beer at home.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 11:09:58 am »

In a down economy, people drink beer at home.
In a really down economy, people drink cheap beer at home.

Cheap beer?  I'll quit before I have to give up my Sundown Wheat (obligatory Marshall reference in thread).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 11:12:12 am »

Cheap beer?  I'll quit before I have to give up my Sundown Wheat (obligatory Marshall reference in thread).

Agreed.  I'll go back to box wine before I'd drink cheap beer at home.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 11:25:53 am »

Agreed.  I'll go back to box wine before I'd drink cheap beer at home.

If I didn't drink cheap beer while cooking I'd be s-canned by the time I checked the char.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 11:29:43 am »

If I didn't drink cheap beer while cooking I'd be s-canned by the time I checked the char.

Some of my best que has been after a full afternoon of Marshall's, Santa Fe, Fat Tire (insert favorite micro brew here).  There's something about smoking or grilling dead animal carcasses that lends itself to good beer.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 11:35:59 am »

Some of my best que has been after a full afternoon of Marshall's, Santa Fe, Fat Tire (insert favorite micro brew here).  There's something about smoking or grilling dead animal carcasses that lends itself to good beer.

I respectfully offer that, at times, it tasted really good because you were drunker than a cute blonde girl in a military bar.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 11:40:54 am »

As long as you realize that you're the exception, not the rule. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 12:32:01 pm »

As long as you realize that you're the exception, not the rule. Wink

Yes, but faced with Natty Light or water, I think I'd reach for the water.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 12:36:11 pm »

Yes, but faced with Natty Light or water, I think I'd reach for the water.
And I'd reach into the next case for some Yuengling. Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org