A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 12:32:03 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Postal Center Closes  (Read 11328 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

Welcome to the provinces...  one of the few centers of significant government jobs in Tulsa goes buy buy.  Oklahoma City gains a few hundred more government jobs to add to their "top ten employers" list.  Yes, I'm bitter.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 06:12:54 pm »

Welcome to the provinces...  one of the few centers of significant government jobs in Tulsa goes buy buy.  Oklahoma City gains a few hundred more government jobs to add to their "top ten employers" list.  Yes, I'm bitter.

The infuriating thing is that the USPS leadership is playing directly into the hands of those who most want to see them disappear for good. Congress listened to the detractors when they were writing the bill that is forcing the USPS to prefund all retirement benefits over only 10 years or so, and it is having the intended effect of forcing them to make service cuts that will drive their customers elsewhere.

Tulsa is just one casualty in the quietly ongoing war on the USPS.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 07:00:03 pm »

How many non-government jobs does it take to support 1 government job?
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »

So with most of the jobs moving to OKC, the biggest cost isn't going away, how on earth will extra miles on the road and just a few less jobs save $11,000,000, it doesn't add up.Then again the mail service in Soper OK costs 50 a year (PO Box, yet rural users outside of Soper get curb side service for free. The USPS is all sorts of bleeped up.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:31 pm »

At the most simplistic level, if the average tax rate is 20%, the average job would take 5 people working outside government to support it.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 09:03:58 pm »

How many pizzas do I have to buy to support the counter guy at Hideaway?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 09:07:51 pm »

Are you their only customer?

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 09:11:39 pm »

The Hideaway guy in-turn pays taxes to help pay for government guy's job.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 09:27:12 pm »

At the most simplistic level, if the average tax rate is 20%, the average job would take 5 people working outside government to support it.

Actually, I think the answer may be 4..   Government guy turns around and gives 20% back
But we also have to consider that government jobs are increasingly paying more that the equivalent private sector job..
Regardless, government jobs are sucking tax-dollars that could otherwise be going towards schools, bridges, the American Airlines union, etc.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 10:18:00 pm »

Actually, I think the answer may be 4..   Government guy turns around and gives 20% back
But we also have to consider that government jobs are increasingly paying more that the equivalent private sector job..
Regardless, government jobs are sucking tax-dollars that could otherwise be going towards schools, bridges, the American Airlines union, etc.

Then you also have to consider that not all the government income goes to salaries and benefits.  Some is for materials, overhead like buildings and utilities, and whatever.  I would consider 5 to be the minimum on an order of magnitude check.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »

I mean the ones I still get in the mail.  I pay electronically but I receive CoT and ONG in the mail.

Screw writing checks and buying stamps.

I can get COT still being on a stone tablet, but ONG?  Only two I get paper on.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »

The infuriating thing is that the USPS leadership is playing directly into the hands of those who most want to see them disappear for good. Congress listened to the detractors when they were writing the bill that is forcing the USPS to prefund all retirement benefits over only 10 years or so, and it is having the intended effect of forcing them to make service cuts that will drive their customers elsewhere.

Tulsa is just one casualty in the quietly ongoing war on the USPS.

It's either fund it now while you have the cash (or at least have the credit line) or bankrupt it later and skate away from the contractual obligations so many other companies seek to avoid.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 11:08:50 pm »

I can get COT still being on a stone tablet, but ONG?  Only two I get paper on.

I am thinking of dropping AT&T for my cell phone because they won't send a check image to my bank for my monthly statement.  The last I read, they have to make an image and keep it for a certain period of time anyway.  It's not that I don't trust computers (except for identity theft).  I don't trust the people running them.  Oh gee, I'm sorry Mr. Arrow.  We will try to rectify that we put an extra zero in that number ahead of the decimal point.

Real story: 
Before AT&T "merged" with Cingular, they were changing to electronic transfer.  They sent the electronic transfer AND my cancelled check (or image, I forget which) to my bank and my bank honored BOTH of them.  Fortunately it was only about $30 and I had more than enough balance to cover it.  Needless to say I was unhappy.  I told them I wanted either an image or my cancelled check.  For several years they sent my cancelled check, then an image.  Now they are back to a transfer number that doesn't even include my check number.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 08:24:54 am »

I'm still the old guy that writes check's. It gives me a few extra day's to play with the money in my account if I need to before the check's hit.
I wouldn't mind paying my bills online, but I am not going to pay the extra two to four dollars for a transaction fee when they are literally doing nothing to get my money. And if you pay by phone Fuh-get-about it ! That is ten to twelve dollars.
No thanks. My pay delay is good enough for em. Some paid slob has to go down to their ol P.O. Box and get my check. Even if it has went from a full duffle bag to a few envelopes.
That's my way of sticking it to the corporate man. Well at least it makes me happy.
Stamps please. Hey and they even have these new fangled one's you don't lick. Golly gee wiz what a Country.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 08:43:18 am »

I'm still the old guy that writes check's. It gives me a few extra day's to play with the money in my account if I need to before the check's hit.
I wouldn't mind paying my bills online, but I am not going to pay the extra two to four dollars for a transaction fee when they are literally doing nothing to get my money. And if you pay by phone Fuh-get-about it ! That is ten to twelve dollars.
No thanks. My pay delay is good enough for em. Some paid slob has to go down to their ol P.O. Box and get my check. Even if it has went from a full duffle bag to a few envelopes.
That's my way of sticking it to the corporate man. Well at least it makes me happy.
Stamps please. Hey and they even have these new fangled one's you don't lick. Golly gee wiz what a Country.

I haven't paid a fee for online billpay (through Skank of America, mind you) in six years.  Most vendors that offer billpay through their own interface don't charge fees (at least the ones that I use, which include my cable bill - Cox, cell phone - AT&T, electric - AEP, and yes, even OneOk).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org