A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 10:56:18 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ikea and Costco in BA?  (Read 65587 times)
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« on: March 27, 2012, 08:23:35 am »

So I have no link or anything, but a friend said she heard from an engineer friend that Ikea and Costco are going in at 145th & the Creek.  Seems a little south for that, you'd think by the Bass Pro Shop, or where the Target etc is in north BA would be more likely, but it could grow South BA significantly if true.  It's total gossip, but I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had heard anything.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:06 am »

A local Ikea?  Seems too good to be true.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:27:58 am »

A local Ikea?  Seems too good to be true.

Costco has already stated that they wouldn't locate a store here until the arcane alcohol laws (no ABLE -- pun intended -- to sell strong beer or wine in grocery stores) were altered.  Unless they've retracted from that.  That was the last I heard about Costco in Oklahoma.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:33:39 am »

Costco has already stated that they wouldn't locate a store here until the arcane alcohol laws (no ABLE -- pun intended -- to sell strong beer or wine in grocery stores) were altered.  Unless they've retracted from that.  That was the last I heard about Costco in Oklahoma.

They'd know of a coming change way before we would.  Maybe it bodes well for a change in the future and we can be welcomed into the 1940's by the other wet states.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:39:34 am »

I had a friend who said Tulsa could support an IKEA and COSTCO and Three Sam's clubs......oh wait....
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:46:19 am »

Am I the only person that thinks that IKEA is awful?  The girlfriends I have had over the last decade or so seem to go nuts for it, but it just seems like particle board crap that's just slightly better designed.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:50:50 am »

Is there that much growth in the Tulsa area?  I mean I know Ikea can pull from a wide area, heck it would likely pull from OKC to Arkansas, but still their demographic seems to be younger people/couples, apartment dwellers, and urbanites. I havent been out that direction much lately but it seems as if new growth in the Tulsa area is fairly stagnant with the exception of perhaps the Tulsa Hills area, Downtown, and south Memorial corridor.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:52:25 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 08:53:35 am »

If there's no IKEA in OKC, then there won't be one in Tulsa.  

EDIT:  not because OKC is super-awesome but because its demographics are better.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:43:20 am »

EDIT:  not because OKC is super-awesome but because its demographics are better.

Not necessarily.  A place like IKEA appeals to wide areas, sort of like outlet malls.  An IKEA in Tulsa would probably take into account the NorthWest Arkansas market, making it overall larger than in OKC, which is really just OKC and its suburbs. 

Not that it would happen, because I would not expect an IKEA anywhere in our area.  Just saying if they really were looking at this state, Tulsa would be just as attractive to them, if not moreso, than OKC on the basis of the NWA market.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:45:34 am »

Hey, we got Whole Paycheck before OK Shitty did.

I suspect IKEA looks at zip codes of their mail order and in-store customers.  If a higher percentage were from the 741 zip code prefix rather than 731, Tulsa gets IKEA, not OKC.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:19 am »

IKEA no....the other one, yes.

But that's all i can disclose....for now.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 10:38:22 am »

You've got this turned around.  Tulsa has better demographics than OKC and typically gets the first instance of national chains entering the Oklahoma market.  

I guess I should clarify . . . what I really meant was that I don't see Oklahoma getting an IKEA.  Especially when there are larger metros around the country that don't have one, I can't see OK being a target for that specific chain.  

EDIT:  According to the IKEA website, San Antonio, KC, St. Louis, New Orleans -- none of these have IKEAs, and all (IMO) have much bigger metro and regional draws than we do. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:42:18 am by we vs us » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:09 am »

it just seems like particle board crap that's just slightly better designed.

Well, if your choice is between the poorly designed particle board crap that both falls apart nearly immediately and looks like crap and slightly better designed particle board crap that doesn't immediately fall apart and looks somewhat better, which are you going to pick? (Me, I'd rather have furniture not made out of plywood and particle board, at least when I can afford it)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 11:47:38 am »

I like the kitchen cabinets that IKEA sells.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:47 am »

Me, I'd rather have furniture not made out of plywood and particle board, at least when I can afford it

Plastic - insist on genuine plastic.

Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org