A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 10:33:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ikea and Costco in BA?  (Read 65574 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2013, 05:53:03 pm »

Not likley. 

I know but that is what I would like to happen. 

In the section between 111th and the turnpike I have been to very few places.  I have no idea why most of those stores have any business.  There is almost nothing I am interested in.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 10:06:10 pm »

I know but that is what I would like to happen. 

In the section between 111th and the turnpike I have been to very few places.  I have no idea why most of those stores have any business.  There is almost nothing I am interested in.

You have a pretty limited set of stores, dining and entertainment then.

In that area you have:

Walmart
Spirit Bank Event Center
Genghis Gril
Jack in the box
Chic Fil A
Super Target
South of the Border
Taco Bueno
Starworld 20 Theater
Andy Frozen Custard
Sprouts Supermarket
Charlie's Chicken
Sonic
Carl's Jr
Pei Wei
Zoe's Kitchen
Einstein Bagels
Savastano's
Burger King
Starbucks
Braum's
Schlotsky's
Popeye's
Aldi's
Radio Shack
Q Cuts
Arby's
US Cellular
AT&T
CVS
Rex's Chicken
Three banks
Hotel
6-7 strip centers full of other local business such as paint stores, home improvement, insurance agents, eateries, etc.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2013, 10:49:25 pm »

You have a pretty limited set of stores, dining and entertainment then.

In that area you have:

Walmart I go there
Spirit Bank Event Center So what
Genghis Gril  Don't care
Jack in the box Blech
Chic Fil A  So what
Super Target I've been there a few times but WalMart is closer and the offerings are similar
South of the Border So what
Taco Bueno Don't care
Starworld 20 Theater So what, I haven't been to the movies in a LONG time and don't care
Andy Frozen Custard  What's that?
Sprouts Supermarket  Been there a couple of times.  Bought some Mahi mahi fish. Not much else.
Charlie's Chicken So what
Sonic  So what
Carl's Jr  So what
Pei Wei So what
Zoe's Kitchen So what
Einstein Bagels  So what
Savastano's Interesting but I have lost 25 Lb from 175 to 150 since April and lowered my cholesterol from 230 to 152. Pizza is not really on my diet anymore.
Burger King  So what
Starbucks  I don't drink coffee since 1986
Braum's Been there once
Schlotsky's Have been there but not recently. I like their sandwiches but see weight loss and Cholesterol reduction above.  I prefer Jay's Original Hoagies but haven't been there recently either.
Popeye's  So what
Aldi's I/we go there
Radio Shack They are a shell of their former selves regarding electronics. Haven't been there for at least a year or more.
Q Cuts  What's that?
Arby's  I like their Fresh Market sandwiches but usually only go to the one in Jenks when I am doing airplane stuff at RVS.
US Cellular  I, reluctantly, have AT&T
AT&T  I have a phone that is usually in the OFF mode in my briefcase in the trunk of my car. I could easily go to 71st St.  Haven't been to an AT&T store in a few years.
CVS  Been there at least 2 or 3 times but not more than 5
Rex's Chicken  So what
Three banks I have a checking account in one of them, mostly because I got fed up with Bank America.
Hotel  I have a house nearby.
6-7 strip centers full of other local business such as paint stores, home improvement, insurance agents, eateries, etc. I go to Lowe's, Reasor's, Advance Auto, Robertson Tire.  Mom bought a new mattress at the store almost next to Starbucks.  I have all the insurance I need, maybe too much. I don't enjoy going out to eat very much and there is almost always tooooo much salt. I can get paint in Lowe's.  There is a bunch of stuff I just don't have any need to have nearby.

I almost forgot...
My usual beer store is The Crossing at 101st next to what used to be the Albertson's/Food Pyramid store.  They have a good beer selection and have a couple of good beer gurus.  I/we also went to Pyramid for a different selection than WalMart, especially before Reasor's opened.  I did pop into Reasor's in Jenks occasionally when I was already at RVS.

Mom goes to Walgreen's but doesn't like them anywhere near as much as the May's/DrugMart/Drug Warehouse or whatever it was they bought out and shut down.  I get my prescriptions at WalMart. $10/90 days generic.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:17:39 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2013, 09:20:03 am »

I almost forgot...
My usual beer store is The Crossing at 101st next to what used to be the Albertson's/Food Pyramid store.  They have a good beer selection and have a couple of good beer gurus.  I/we also went to Pyramid for a different selection than WalMart, especially before Reasor's opened.  I did pop into Reasor's in Jenks occasionally when I was already at RVS.

Mom goes to Walgreen's but doesn't like them anywhere near as much as the May's/DrugMart/Drug Warehouse or whatever it was they bought out and shut down.  I get my prescriptions at WalMart. $10/90 days generic.

Still the Luddite!

Everyone wants jobs and development, but not in their neighborhood!  Goes to what I harp about concerning actual thought, planning, and consideration of what really is progress versus another big box...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2013, 06:22:23 pm »

Even I'm aware of the poorly kept secret concerning Cotsco's prospective South Tulsa plans.  Be patient, they are coming!  Same with TJ's.  The growth of both stores is still heavily tied to opening in new markets.

TJ's opened last year in Lexington, KY and Rochester, NY, my former cities of residence.  Cotsco is opening soon in Lexington, and announced an opening in Rochester next year.  The Lexington metro is exactly 1/2 the size of Tulsa's, so the fact that there are still untapped 1 million metro markets out there (in OKC and Tulsa) for both stores seems perplexing at this point and will no doubt be rectified.  I've read over and over that Oklahoma's liquor laws have often been cited as one the barriers that have kept stores from entering the market.  Perhaps this may not be as much of an issue as it has been made out to be.  Lexington and Rochester have their own forms of arcane and outdated alcohol laws similar to Oklahoma's, and TJ's successfully dealt with the challenges posed by those laws.  Cotsco will have successful workarounds as well.  Since wine and liquor cannot be sold inside grocery stores in both Lex and Roc, TJ's sells the wine in a separate enclosed area at the entrance.  I'll admit, I don't know how the state's low alcohol beer law can be handled.  I just hope that it won't be a showstopper for these stores to enter the local market going forward.

Both Tulsa and OKC will likely land these stores within months of another (just as other stores have done when opening in the state), using the neighboring market strategy when entering mid and smaller sized markets.  They do the same in KY (Louisville and Lexington) and upstate NY (Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, and Albany), and everyone brags and boasts about who got what first just like they do here!  Incidentally, Rochester is getting the first Sonic in NY and you bet it's a B*D!

Cotsco - South Tulsa, oh well makes sense...However, my preference is to see TJ's open in mid-town (or downtown) instead of south Tulsa, but I'd be happy wherever.  Although downtown might be perceived as a reach at the moment, TJ's in mid-town would be one of the very few niche chains that would be a nice add to B-side or Cherry St.  I'm sure they'd really like Utica Sq if they could get in there.

We know IKEA is not coming, but NBD!

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2013, 08:23:09 pm »

In-N-Out may be coming soon too, FYI
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »

In-N-Out may be coming soon too, FYI

I never saw what the big deal was about In-N-Out.  Went to one or two when I visited back in 2001 and wasn't really impressed.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2013, 10:04:22 pm »

I never saw what the big deal was about In-N-Out.  Went to one or two when I visited back in 2001 and wasn't really impressed.

Tried it in Dallas a couple of weeks ago, thought it was pretty good.

Not Fat Guys caliber, but beats every other burger I've had handed to me through a car window.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:10 pm »

I would love to see an H&M (Would be nice to have a place where one could buy affordable and stylish clothes for normal built people in this city). and a Z Gallerie.   Both in downtown of course. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2013, 11:05:07 pm »

So hopefully In and Out Burger (I've heard good things about em') is better than Five Guys and Smashburger.

Maybe H&M could land in DT or MT.  They closed 2 stores back home last year.  However, I saw at least 6 of them in downtown Karlsruhe, Germany last month.  Karlsruhe is about 300K pop, with an amazing walkable downtown that is probably between 2 and 3 miles long and many blocks wide with everything one could want.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:59 am »

So hopefully In and Out Burger (I've heard good things about em') is better than Five Guys and Smashburger.

Maybe H&M could land in DT or MT.  They closed 2 stores back home last year.  However, I saw at least 6 of them in downtown Karlsruhe, Germany last month.  Karlsruhe is about 300K pop, with an amazing walkable downtown that is probably between 2 and 3 miles long and many blocks wide with everything one could want.

Smashburger is a very low hurdle to clear.  We refer to it as Suckburger on TNF.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:28 am »

Smashburger is a very low hurdle to clear.  We refer to it as Suckburger on TNF.

SaltBurger would also be correct.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2013, 09:55:02 am »

Smashing is for Bruce Banner, not for Burgers.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2013, 11:10:25 am »

SaltBurger would also be correct.

Or sh!tburger, but I reserve that moniker for really crappy legislation.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2013, 12:35:29 pm »

In-n-out cuts their fries fresh for each batch.  They were actual potatoes just seconds before they hit the fryer.  Burgers are not bad, but their fries are awesome!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org