A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 10:19:10 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ikea and Costco in BA?  (Read 65567 times)
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 08:48:57 pm »

sorry to be late to the party, but that area has been on planning for significant development for a while now.  Last I talked to BA mayor, and it must have been at least a year ago, big development plans, with what he could only say was going to be a "very well known/name recognition anchor"...for what that's worth...if the one dude says Ikea is off the list, fine, but I don't see Costco being the big draw this guy intimated either. :idk: They are widening all major access to that point.

Either way I think they are still on the right path....the Bass Pro area, whatever you want to call it, is kind of stale, and I don't think expansion could possibly justify the rent. I mean, what you got? B.A., North B.A., "New Tulsa" (lol)...Coweta?

The Creek loop there will have access to all of BA, Bixby, Jenks, Glenpool and Sapulpa...Glenpool alone putting in what? 6 new elementary schools?  By the time this development is complete, all those elementary kidz gonna be sucking of Mom and Dad's wallet for some prime, prime, disposable dollars.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:50:45 pm by TheMindWillNotLetGo » Logged
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 08:55:06 am »

Saw a headline today that Sam's is building a fourth area location in Owasso.  Are they trying to pre-empt a move by Costco maybe?  I have no idea.  Just curious.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 11:39:47 am »

From what I remember, Ikea only tends to go to markets with a population in excess of 3-4M? 

As for the pepsi thing, Tulsa is (was?) one of the few markets in the nation were Pepsi dominates Coke.  So I imagine this was a good test base, until we screwed up that crystal pepsi thing.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 12:08:17 pm »

From what I remember, Ikea only tends to go to markets with a population in excess of 3-4M? 

As for the pepsi thing, Tulsa is (was?) one of the few markets in the nation were Pepsi dominates Coke.  So I imagine this was a good test base, until we screwed up that crystal pepsi thing.

Yeah, but we seem to be leading on crystal meth.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 01:45:12 pm »

They require a region with greater than 3MM and the region has to be the same media market.  So, unless they compromise you couldn't include OKC in a Tulsa store's region.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 07:49:39 pm »

Yeah, but we seem to be leading on crystal meth.

exaclty why we know our bucking soda pop.
EricGarcia
Activist

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 12:11:02 am »

I too heard something big is planned in that area and I know the mayor has been saying for over a year that the anchor tenant will bring over 1 million people per year.  Last I heard was groundbreaking this summer.  Costco and IKEA would be great a great addition to Tulsa, and Oklahoma in general.
dbacks fan
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 02:39:48 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20120403_16_0_OKLAHO234892
OKLAHOMA CITY - A group has filed an initiative petition that could lead to wine sales in some Oklahoma retail outlets.
The petition filed by Oklahomans for Modern Laws would allow counties of 50,000 people or more to vote on whether to approve wine sales in retail outlets of at least 25,000 square feet.

Sound like Costco?

Here is some intersting info on this subject, and this involves more than just COSTCO, and it was a move to privatize the sale of spirits, wine, and real beer, and take some of the regulation away from the state of Washington (home of COSTCO) and the initiative passed last year to get the state out of the sale of spirits and wine from "state stores" (which Oregon still has, and when I lived in Arizona, it was a free market enviroment). This was the step forward for WA to allow the market to drive the sales, and from my expirience in AZ and now OR, you don't see the evil MD20/20, Olde English 800, and various "cheap wine and liquors" sold in general retail outlets. In AZ the only places you saw the cheap liquor was the $1.00 bin of mini-bottles in the liquor department, and now for me after 8 months in Oregon, I have yet to see the evil beverages that people associated with ABLE claim to be the "root of all evil".

Funny thing, I drove past a liquor store in Coos Bay today and they were getting their delivery, and the truck delivering was a COSTCO truck.

http://www.followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/committee.phtml?c=9690

http://factson1183.com/?utm_source=GDN&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Yes1183Target
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:42:25 am by dbacks fan » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2012, 07:37:15 am »

Here is some intersting info on this subject, and this involves more than just COSTCO, and it was a move to privatize the sale of spirits, wine, and real beer, and take some of the regulation away from the state of Washington (home of COSTCO) and the initiative passed last year to get the state out of the sale of spirits and wine from "state stores" (which Oregon still has, and when I lived in Arizona, it was a free market enviroment). This was the step forward for WA to allow the market to drive the sales, and from my expirience in AZ and now OR, you don't see the evil MD20/20, Olde English 800, and various "cheap wine and liquors" sold in general retail outlets. In AZ the only places you saw the cheap liquor was the $1.00 bin of mini-bottles in the liquor department, and now for me after 8 months in Oregon, I have yet to see the evil beverages that people associated with ABLE claim to be the "root of all evil".

Funny thing, I drove past a liquor store in Coos Bay today and they were getting their delivery, and the truck delivering was a COSTCO truck.

http://www.followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/committee.phtml?c=9690

http://factson1183.com/?utm_source=GDN&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Yes1183Target

If you've seen some of the asinine things they do as far as regulating events, you'd likely agree with the assessment of ABLE.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2012, 10:26:32 am »

I've hated ABLE since before I voted for liquor by the drink in 1984, and working as a bartender in 88/89 and having to deal with thier Gestapo attitude.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 08:19:23 pm »

They require a region with greater than 3MM and the region has to be the same media market.  So, unless they compromise you couldn't include OKC in a Tulsa store's region.
But the Austin TX MSA is less than 2 million but they have a store in Round Rock.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »

This was the step forward for WA to allow the market to drive the sales, and from my expirience in AZ and now OR, you don't see the evil MD20/20, Olde English 800, and various "cheap wine and liquors" sold in general retail outlets. In AZ the only places you saw the cheap liquor was the $1.00 bin of mini-bottles in the liquor department, and now for me after 8 months in Oregon, I have yet to see the evil beverages that people associated with ABLE claim to be the "root of all evil".

Interesting.  When I lived in Welches in the 80s the grocery stores like the Hoodland Thriftway had wine and beer sales.  I remember stopping off at  Fred Meyers in Gresham for a pack of Mickey's Big Mouths for the drive up the mountain. And then there was the iconic commercials for Rrrraaaaiiiiinnnnniiiiiiiieeeerrrr Bbbbbeeeerrrrr.   Loved those shots of the motorcycle heading up the side of Mt Rainier.  But that was a long time ago.    It would be nice if we could at least have beer and wine sales in the grocery stores.   Most of the stuff I buy would probably not be available in the grocery so I would still be spending time and money in Ranch Acres and Parkhill.   From my last trip to Texas and paying attention,  the selection at Tom Thumb and Albertson's was pretty lacking.   Lots of cheap stuff.  Cheap at least to me.  When I am down there I still go to Majestic unless I can find what I want at Central Market.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Sutton
Citizen

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 08:07:14 am »

Thought this was timely:

Welcome to Ikea-land: Furniture giant begins urban planning project
Published Sunday, Apr. 01, 2012 8:02PM EDT
LONDON— There are feelings you get when you enter an Ikea store. The vertiginous experience of getting lost in their craftily designed labyrinth. The surprise of wandering into something you hadn’t intended to buy. The discomfiting almost-warmth of a fake apartment. The faintly reassuring sense that your children and your car are in someone else’s hands. Then the odd realization that you’re really inside a high-security structure on the distant edge of town.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/welcome-to-ikea-land-furniture-giant-begins-urban-planning-project/article2388705/singlepage/#articlecontent
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 08:20:25 am »

IKEA is NOT coming here.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2012, 09:23:25 am »

Ikea is coming to Kansas City, so now we have two within 250 miles.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/27/3836143/ikea-to-announce-plans-store.html

And just to further cement the notion that we're not getting one:
Roth said the Kansas City market meets criteria that Ikea looks for when it evaluates expansion targets. Namely, the metropolitan area has more than 2 million people.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/print-edition/2012/07/20/ikea-may-be-coming-to-merriam-village.html?page=all

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org