A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:13:53 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ikea and Costco in BA?  (Read 67724 times)
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:59:41 am »

Well, if your choice is between the poorly designed particle board crap that both falls apart nearly immediately and looks like crap and slightly better designed particle board crap that doesn't immediately fall apart and looks somewhat better, which are you going to pick? (Me, I'd rather have furniture not made out of plywood and particle board, at least when I can afford it)

You can have particle board covered by Real 'Murican fake wood veneer a la Wal Mart, or you can have particle board covered by the social democratic pastels of the Swedish flag. 
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:16 pm »

Ok I am going to show my ignorance here. What the hell is IKEA ? and more importantly. Why do I want one ?
Even in my advancing age. I see no reason to travel 100 plus miles to shop at a "Bass Pro" But I hear they are shopping destinations and people plan trips around that.
I don't even go to the one we have here. But I must be missing something because they built two huge Hotels right next to it. And if you mention ours. People ask. Have you been to the one in Springfield ? Uh..no why would I ?
I never went to the Tanger Outlet Mall when it was open, and never saw a need to drive 50 plus miles to buy scratch and dent drills and other items for just under cost.
So somewhere I must have missed the bass boat on this lifestyle.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »

DB, google it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 12:43:10 pm »

I love Ikea.  We got some of these cabinets there for the Art Deco Museum.  They look very nice, were very easy to put together, and I challenge you to find anything else like them in that price range.  Quite the bargain. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119206/?cid=en%3Epc%3Ego%3Eproducts_search 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 12:48:23 pm »

DB, google it.

I did. And people will drive from Arkansas to shop here if we get one ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 12:56:18 pm »

Yes.  And Kansas, and Missouri and OKC.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 01:00:50 pm »

Their kitchen cabinet systems appear pretty well-engineered and furniture I’ve seen from there, while not easily mistaken for high end quality still isn’t that bad.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 01:03:28 pm »

You've got this turned around.  Tulsa has better demographics than OKC and typically gets the first instance of national chains entering the Oklahoma market. 

I was about to post the same thing.

We particularly tend to get more "upscale" chains first.  The recent opening of Anthropologie in Utica Square is a good example.  Of course, we also had Wild Oats/Whole Foods for years before they opened a store in OKC.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 01:25:39 pm »

Yes they will.  Before all the new stuff was built in NWA because of Walmart they all used to come over here to shop.  It was not uncommon to see a bunch of Arkansas plates in Utica Square on any day. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:43 pm »

Ikea would amazing to get in the Tulsa area. One less reason to have to go to Dallas.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:48 pm »

You've got this turned around.  Tulsa has better demographics than OKC and typically gets the first instance of national chains entering the Oklahoma market. 

I'll actually add a bit to that. . .

It's not better demographics, it's broader demographics.

The range between wealth and poverty is broad and there are very few economic gaps.  The racial make-up is representative of the entire united states if taken as a whole (percentages).  They population age is also well distributed.

Basically, we are one of the best places to do product placement and marketing studies because of our representation ($hitstorm from the Tulsa haters in 3...2...1).

In demographic studies, what you are looking for is a micro-population representative of your target market.  If your target market is the entire United States, Tulsa is an excellent study to represent that.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 03:19:35 pm »

I'll actually add a bit to that. . .

It's not better demographics, it's broader demographics.

The range between wealth and poverty is broad and there are very few economic gaps.  The racial make-up is representative of the entire united states if taken as a whole (percentages).  They population age is also well distributed.

Basically, we are one of the best places to do product placement and marketing studies because of our representation ($hitstorm from the Tulsa haters in 3...2...1).

In demographic studies, what you are looking for is a micro-population representative of your target market.  If your target market is the entire United States, Tulsa is an excellent study to represent that.

Example:  Dave & Buster's

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 03:23:23 pm »

Example:  Dave & Buster's

Well there were lots of Dave & Busters before Tulsa.  We were supposed to be a test for the "smaller version," and I think that would be a success if they hadn't plopped it down behind a strip center, off the highway, in the middle of "I don't want to go there" land.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 03:48:05 pm »

Well there were lots of Dave & Busters before Tulsa.  We were supposed to be a test for the "smaller version," and I think that would be a success if they hadn't plopped it down behind a strip center, off the highway, in the middle of "I don't want to go there" land.

It seems to do a pretty good business unless I just happen to only go there when they're busy. Granted, I do only go when there's some way I can get free/cheap gameplay. Their sliders are pretty tasty, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 04:15:13 pm »

But my point was D&B was here before OKC.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org