A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 04:07:58 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Day of Support for...  (Read 75615 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2012, 01:28:44 pm »

Why would she disagree with the concept of gay marriage if she isn't intolerant of homosexuality in some way?

There were over-reactions on both sides of that fence.  It eventually got all freaky when a talk show host took it upon himself to call out the hoards.

So there's a level at which it stops being okay and then you can bump it up into a level of hate?  A sort of maximum strength "disagree level"?  Above that it's intolerance and bigotry?

Disagreeing with something isn’t the same as intolerance.

Here’s what I’m driving at:  You and I can disagree on an issue, yet still invite each other over to each other’s houses or meet out for a beer.  If one or the other decided he couldn’t take the other’s viewpoints anymore and that social relationship ended, that would be intolerance.

Same as a grandmother not approving of her grandson’s lifestyle choice, but not shutting him out of their life.  They used to call that “Hate the sin, love the sinner.”  Intolerance would be her calling the grandson a fag and that she wants nothing to do with him until he washes off teh gheys.

Yes, there is very much a difference between disagreeing with someone else’s lifestyle choices, religious views, or television watching habits and ginning that disparity into something much more inflammatory and hateful.  The gay lifestyle isn’t for me, yet I have friends and family members who are gay and whom I have ZERO problem with.  Does that make me a bigot or intolerant simply because I don’t go for Italian sausage?  Would it be considered bigotry or intolerance if I resisted an advance from another man?  How about I’m just plain not down with that?

I disagree with most of President Obama’s policies and view his term as mostly a failure in priorities and actions which would have helped more Americans.  It matters not to me that he’s 1/2 black or 1/2 white, yet there are people who are convinced that since I disagree with his principles and policies I’m intolerant, racist, and simply a bigot.  I also consider it a failure of his to not disavow such nonsense in the first place. 

If I were marching in front of the White House with a sign which read: “Throw this ****** bum out of office!” I would most definitely deserve those labels plus a few more.

Certainly, there are people at the extreme fringes who make moronic character comments.  It seems though the favorite tactic of progressives has  become to try and intimidate others into changing their deeply held personal beliefs via intimidation or guilt by hurling character epithets at them like “hate”, “intolerance”, “racist”, “Islamophobic”, “homophobic”, etc. ad nauseum.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2012, 01:37:58 pm »

BRAVO! C-Man BRAVO! I like the way you think. Ever thought about running for Office?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »

Where in the hell do you get the idea I think anyone is obligated to eat at Chik-Fil-A?

Sorry, your pictures seemed to imply that you thought that tolerance of Dan Cathy's views requires that I eat at Chick-Fil-A. Perhaps I was mistaken. I don't really care what Dan Cathy says. Everybody's got the right to say whatever stupid smile comes into their head. What I do care about is that WinShape spends bags of money every year actively opposing SSM specifically and gay rights in general. That's intolerance in action.

If these guys were campaigning against interracial marriage, I doubt you'd be so sanguine about it. Because you're not a racist donkey.

Thankfully, it seems the federal courts are getting a clue and at least the insanity that is preventing gay people from getting the same insurance benefits and other such discrimination will be stopped. That's the thing, discrimination is intolerant, no matter how you try to frame it. People who don't want to get gay married shouldn't get gay married. People who don't want to officiate at a gay wedding shouldn't officiate. Done, problem solved.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:45:50 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2012, 01:45:24 pm »

Disagreeing with something isn’t the same as intolerance.

Here’s what I’m driving at:  You and I can disagree on an issue, yet still invite each other over to each other’s houses or meet out for a beer.  If one or the other decided he couldn’t take the other’s viewpoints anymore and that social relationship ended, that would be intolerance.

Same as a grandmother not approving of her grandson’s lifestyle choice, but not shutting him out of their life.  They used to call that “Hate the sin, love the sinner.”  Intolerance would be her calling the grandson a fag and that she wants nothing to do with him until he washes off teh gheys.

Yes, there is very much a difference between disagreeing with someone else’s lifestyle choices, religious views, or television watching habits and ginning that disparity into something much more inflammatory and hateful.  The gay lifestyle isn’t for me, yet I have friends and family members who are gay and whom I have ZERO problem with.  Does that make me a bigot or intolerant simply because I don’t go for Italian sausage?  Would it be considered bigotry or intolerance if I resisted an advance from another man?  How about I’m just plain not down with that?

I disagree with most of President Obama’s policies and view his term as mostly a failure in priorities and actions which would have helped more Americans.  It matters not to me that he’s 1/2 black or 1/2 white, yet there are people who are convinced that since I disagree with his principles and policies I’m intolerant, racist, and simply a bigot.  I also consider it a failure of his to not disavow such nonsense in the first place. 

If I were marching in front of the White House with a sign which read: “Throw this ****** bum out of office!” I would most definitely deserve those labels plus a few more.

Certainly, there are people at the extreme fringes who make moronic character comments.  It seems though the favorite tactic of progressives has  become to try and intimidate others into changing their deeply held personal beliefs via intimidation or guilt by hurling character epithets at them like “hate”, “intolerance”, “racist”, “Islamophobic”, “homophobic”, etc. ad nauseum.

You changed the conversation.

Where'd "Yes, there is very much a difference between disagreeing with someone else’s lifestyle choices, religious views, or television watching habits and ginning that disparity into something much more inflammatory and hateful.  The gay lifestyle isn’t for me, yet I have friends and family members who are gay and whom I have ZERO problem with.  Does that make me a bigot or intolerant simply because I don’t go for Italian sausage?  Would it be considered bigotry or intolerance if I resisted an advance from another man?  How about I’m just plain not down with that?" come from?

I'm with you on that.

You'd asked about the old lady.  I answered about the old lady.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22:49 pm »

Sorry, your pictures seemed to imply that you thought that tolerance of Dan Cathy's views requires that I eat at Chick-Fil-A. Perhaps I was mistaken. I don't really care what Dan Cathy says. Everybody's got the right to say whatever stupid smile comes into their head. What I do care about is that WinShape spends bags of money every year actively opposing SSM specifically and gay rights in general. That's intolerance in action.

If these guys were campaigning against interracial marriage, I doubt you'd be so sanguine about it. Because you're not a racist donkey.

Thankfully, it seems the federal courts are getting a clue and at least the insanity that is preventing gay people from getting the same insurance benefits and other such discrimination will be stopped. That's the thing, discrimination is intolerant, no matter how you try to frame it. People who don't want to get gay married shouldn't get gay married. People who don't want to officiate at a gay wedding shouldn't officiate. Done, problem solved.

Dan Cathy committed the same oral diarrhea that celebrities do that makes me cringe.  “Just fry your fuggin’ chickin, I really don’t care what your stance is on gay marriage.”  Same as when an actor or singer goes off on a political tangent.  “Shut up and sing”.

I confess to ignorance when it comes to WinShape.  I’d never heard of them before and have no clue who they are or what they do.  I’m also not a very good activist when it comes to my wallet.  I don’t have enough time to figure out who uses profits from my purchases on things I don’t approve of.  MC and I primarily try do business with local businesses whenever possible and practical.  Hell even those people may contribute to causes which aren’t anything I’d associate with.  I generally boycott businesses based on shitty or indifferent service or if the value doesn’t equal my outlay. 

That’s about as far as it goes for me, though comments on here and other places about the owner of one of the local coffee houses being a rabid homophobe and general troll has kept me away.  Simply for the reason that if he feels it’s necessary for his customers to know his personal views that obnoxiously, I really don’t care to sit in and listen.

People who don’t appreciate Dan Cathy’s statement are welcome to not eat there or to ignore it and enjoy the tasty chikkin sandwich with pickles.  Same for those who think of it as some sort of solidarity to eat there yesterday or not.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2012, 03:23:25 pm »

BRAVO! C-Man BRAVO! I like the way you think. Ever thought about running for Office?

It’ll never happen.  I’m FAR too bigoted, intolerant, and racist for that to ever happen.  Cool

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2012, 03:38:15 pm »

It’ll never happen.  I’m FAR too bigoted, intolerant, and racist for that to ever happen.  Cool

You are not. You should think about public office.

I can disagree with you on politics, but still support you in an election. I support many republican friends who are elected officials because I know that they are honest and hard-working. Most issues are not partisan until they get to Washington DC. Just don't run as a conservative for federal office and I would consider a vote and contribution to candidates like you.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2012, 03:42:43 pm »

So here is the follow-up this video (below) that I think Gueed originally posted yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLNgkP9nzc&feature=player_embedded

TUCSON, AZ--(Marketwire - Aug 2, 2012) - The following is a statement from Vante:

Vante regrets the unfortunate events that transpired yesterday in Tucson between our former CFO/Treasurer Adam Smith and an employee at Chick-fil-A. Effective immediately, Mr. Smith is no longer an employee of our company.

The actions of Mr. Smith do not reflect our corporate values in any manner. Vante is an equal opportunity company with a diverse workforce, which holds diverse opinions. We respect the right of our employees and all Americans to hold and express their personal opinions, however, we also expect our company officers to behave in a manner commensurate with their position and in a respectful fashion that conveys these values of civility with others.

We hope that the general population does not hold Mr. Smith's actions against Vante and its employees.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/vante-of-tucson-az-regrets-actions-of-former-cfo-1686870.htm

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:46 pm »

Huckabee launches his 2016 presidential run with fast food chicken?

Huckabee (Not Palin) is The Real Chick-Fil-A Booster

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/02/huckabee.html

I know I am invoking the wrath of Conservatives4Palin.com just by writing this, but I think this opinion piece in The Telegraph, which was brought to the attention of the blog, desperately needs a clarification.

Tim Stanley writes in The Telegraph about Sarah Palin's participation in the culture war surrounding Chick-Fil-A:
"Then there was Sarah Palin’s intervention into Chick-fil-A-gate. In what could be the definitive conservative moment of the last few years, she posted a photo of herself on facebook eating at the anti-gay marriage chicken restaurant. Here was Palin’s appeal distilled: an ordinary woman out with her husband, doing what ordinary Americans do, looking ordinary – yet making a profound political statement at the same time. And she used social media to let the world know about it! That photo has “political science PhD thesis” written all over it.

Why haven’t we seen Romney in a Chick-fil-A, or Cheney, Bush or McCain? Some will reply that such cheapness is beneath them, that they are too busy being statesmen in Washington. But most Americans don’t live in Washington, aren’t members of Congress, don’t have a beautiful family home in Alexandria, don’t holiday in the Caribbean twice a year and don’t enjoy that fantastic Congressional healthcare. But they do eat at Chick-fil-A. And so, apparently, does Sarah Palin. That’s her appeal. When you use the word “Palin,” folks immediately know what you mean. And while some of the adjectives used might include “extreme,” they don’t include “snobby” and they probably will include “authentic.” Palin's strength and weakness as a Veep candidate in 2008 was that she came across like a real person. Some people want to be governed by real people, some don’t.
I think Stanley is missing the real story here. Palin was just one of many conservatives who went to eat at Chick-Fil-A, her attendance is not that exceptional. The conservative who has taken a much more actively leadership role in this culture war is one who is much less incendiary and less prone to bomb throwing: Mike Huckabee.
Mike Huckabee announced plans for Chick-Fil-A appreciation day on his Facebook page on July 22nd. What is important to note about Huckabee's stance is how he was clearly concerned about civility when he promoted the event:
I ask you to join me in speaking out on Wednesday, August 1 "Chick Fil-A Appreciation Day.” No one is being asked to make signs, speeches, or openly demonstrate. The goal is simple: Let's affirm a business that operates on Christian principles and whose executives are willing to take a stand for the Godly values we espouse by simply showing up and eating at Chick Fil-A on Wednesday, August 1.

There's no need for anyone to be angry or engage in a verbal battle. Simply affirm appreciation for a company run by Christian principles by showing up on Wednesday, August 1 or by participating online – tweeting your support or sending a message on Facebook.
And it worked, Chick-Fil-A has reported record sales. Whether you agree or disagree with Huckabee's stance, you can't deny that this was an effective and civil way of making a political point.
It was the exact opposite of the usual Palin method. Huckabee didn't say that people who don't eat Chick-Fil-A were un-American, he didn't suggest that liberal elites look down on those who enjoyed fast food. He also didn't go the Rush Limbaugh route and refer to the mayors who initially spoke out against Chick-Fil-A as "Stalinist". It's unclear how many legs this story would have even had if Huckabee hadn't made a point to push for the event.

Palin may have done a photo-op but it was Huckabee who is showing the cultural influence he wields
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »

You assert that someone who's not a social conservative is gay?  

I didn't read it that way.  You could very well just support gays.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2012, 07:10:05 pm »

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2012, 07:11:13 pm »

Got to wonder how Vante feels this compelled them to fire the man for exercising his free speech.
http://wizbangblog.com/2012/08/02/business-executive-records-himself-badgering-a-chick-fil-a-employee-suprised-everyone-thinks-hes-a-jerk
Does this not make them hypocrites?

So here is the follow-up this video (below) that I think Gueed originally posted yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLNgkP9nzc&feature=player_embedded

TUCSON, AZ--(Marketwire - Aug 2, 2012) - The following is a statement from Vante:

Vante regrets the unfortunate events that transpired yesterday in Tucson between our former CFO/Treasurer Adam Smith and an employee at Chick-fil-A. Effective immediately, Mr. Smith is no longer an employee of our company.

The actions of Mr. Smith do not reflect our corporate values in any manner. Vante is an equal opportunity company with a diverse workforce, which holds diverse opinions. We respect the right of our employees and all Americans to hold and express their personal opinions, however, we also expect our company officers to behave in a manner commensurate with their position and in a respectful fashion that conveys these values of civility with others.
We hope that the general population does not hold Mr. Smith's actions against Vante and its employees.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2012, 07:11:52 pm »

I prefer this one:

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2012, 09:05:00 pm »

Got to wonder how Vante feels this compelled them to fire the man for exercising his free speech.
http://wizbangblog.com/2012/08/02/business-executive-records-himself-badgering-a-chick-fil-a-employee-suprised-everyone-thinks-hes-a-jerk
Does this not make them hypocrites?

Why should Vante feel any different than they did yesterday? Their CFO exercises his first amendment right to be a d!ckhead and becomes one of the 99%.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2012, 09:35:35 pm »

Why should Vante feel any different than they did yesterday? Their CFO exercises his first amendment right to be a d!ckhead and becomes one of the 99%.

Classic!  Thanks!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org