A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:25:29 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know of good price Fire sprinkler system installers.  (Read 12584 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: August 15, 2012, 04:11:08 pm »

Ok, yes I am crazy.  Doing my usual "leap into something then figure out the details later" scenario.  But in this instance I may have gotten in over my head.  

Nutshell.  Saw a space downtown for rent, inquired, the rent was good, have always wanted to have my own gift shop/design/art studio type thing,,, negotiated out what I thought was a good deal with a graduated lease.   Owners did not want to bother with build out so is why the space sat there for so long empty but, hey, I am not afraid of hard work and thought I could do a lot of it myself if the rent was really cheap at first to help me get things done and going.  Don't want anything fancy was just going to leave the floors cement, ceilings are cement, exterior walls are cement and front is glass, needs cleaning and some cosmetic repairs to other interior spaces, figured it would need electrical and heat/air done by contractors and could afford that though it will be very tight and still have to buy merchandice lol.

BUT, turns out the space may not have been retail as it's official last use.  Was told that it was a bike shop that sold bikes last.  Still working on that.  However,,, the girl with the city who has been very helpful says the last thing she can officially find was that the space was used for a private dance club in 1979.  Egads.  So, if it was not retail as I originally thought, then it's now a "change of use" which would mean that I would now likely have to do a sprinkler system which basically means I am stuck in a three year lease and can't afford to do anything with the space.  Still hoping that some more info on the bike shop will turn up, but now wondering how much a sprinkler system actually would run in case I am stuck with the worst case scenario.

Anyone know of a local person who does fire, sprinkler systems who would be a good price and can give me an estimate?  Not that I can actually even afford it anyway.  

It was fun dreaming while it lasted.  Sad
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:15:52 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:18:08 pm »

Call....Western Fire Protection..........Local....Been in business 30 years.....Ask for Jason.....

dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »

You can try S&S.  They are down the hall from me.  I have no idea what their pricing is like, though.
http://www.ssfireprotection.com/

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
TheLofts@120
Activist

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:32 pm »

Hey William!  Glad to hear about this. 

I recently priced out several fire suppression contractors for the Ward Building.  The most affordable was MAC Fire Systems.  They are in downtown.  You can contact Don at 918-830-0970. 

You might also check the stacks at the Central Library to see if that address ever had a retail shop in there, that should maintain the 'use' for the City. 

If you need any other help, feel free to give me a call or email.

Will

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:17:42 am »

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I will make some phone calls and see if I can get some estimates.

What are these "stacks" that you speak of Will?  Will they know what I am asking for if I go to the library?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheLofts@120
Activist

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:38:51 am »

William,  They should know.  Its a collection of directories for Tulsa dating back almost 100 years.  They list by address and name of the business.  You might be able to cross reference to see if that space was ever a retail operation in the past.  If so, the City may count that if you can show it.  Its in the research area of the library, one of the upper floors.  Sorry, its been a while since I was there.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 11:32:21 am »

William,  They should know.  Its a collection of directories for Tulsa dating back almost 100 years.  They list by address and name of the business.  You might be able to cross reference to see if that space was ever a retail operation in the past.  If so, the City may count that if you can show it.  Its in the research area of the library, one of the upper floors.  Sorry, its been a while since I was there.

Excellent!  Thank You, hope this works or I may end up having to open a wine bar, martini lounge or something like that instead of a gift shop lol.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 11:41:10 am »

Excellent!  Thank You, hope this works or I may end up having to open a wine bar, martini lounge or something like that instead of a gift shop lol.

That works too.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 12:16:59 pm »

Excellent!  Thank You, hope this works or I may end up having to open a wine bar, martini lounge or something like that instead of a gift shop lol.

Why not do both?  Put the little wine bar in the corner somewhere - shouldn't have to be very big, maybe 5 x5 or so?, then do what you want with the rest.  No on says you have to have much stock, so if you run out of your 3 bottles during the day, ok, restock that evening.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »

Why not do both?  Put the little wine bar in the corner somewhere - shouldn't have to be very big, maybe 5 x5 or so?, then do what you want with the rest.  No on says you have to have much stock, so if you run out of your 3 bottles during the day, ok, restock that evening.

I have thought about that lol.  But often there are stipulations of some sort saying you have to have x percentage of your sales be from "this" or otherwise you can't be classified as "that" and will be reclassified.  But hey, will look into all possibilities.

There are so many rules that are just absurd.  Was going to make my own sign, then found out that you can't do that and have to pay someone else to make a sign (unless the sign is only a total of 10 sq feet or less).  Also, I was told that interior signage has to be 15" away from the glass no matter what its size and no signage can block more than 50% of your window space.  Who would have thought?  I see violations of that every day!  Not to mention you can't install or change out a sink, even if the fixtures and or hook-ups are there.  It has to be done by a licenced professional and a permit has to be taken out for it.  According to the official rules, you can't do any sheetrock work youself, like say say repair a hole in the sheetrock, again, you have to pay someone else to do it and there has to be a permit taken out first.  It's like you can't pick your arse without being required to pay someone else to do it and they get a permit first, and then later pay to have someone else inspect it lol.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:53:55 pm by TheArtist » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 02:01:58 pm »

I have thought about that lol.  But often there are stipulations of some sort saying you have to have x percentage of your sales be from "this" or otherwise you can't be classified as "that" and will be reclassified.  But hey, will look into all possibilities.

There are so many rules that are just absurd.  Was going to make my own sign, then found out that you can't do that and have to pay someone else to make a sign (unless the sign is only a total of 10 sq feet or less).  Also, I was told that interior signage has to be 15" away from the glass no matter what its size and no signage can block more than 50% of your window space.  Who would have thought?  I see violations of that every day!  Not to mention you can't install or change out a sink, even if the fixtures and or hook-ups are there.  It has to be done by a licenced professional and a permit has to be taken out for it.  According to the official rules, you can't do any sheetrock work youself, like say say repair a hole in the sheetrock, again, you have to pay someone else to do it and there has to be a permit taken out first.  It's like you can't pick your arse without being required to pay someone else to do it and they get a permit first, and then later pay to have someone else inspect it lol.  

You are an artist - start a sign company.  Don't HAVE to make more than one or two....

Sounds like you could use an "umbrella" company - something like "TheArtist Enterprises, Inc." (using wording you want) where you could be a sign company, bar, gift shop, maybe a little "repo" operation on the side with TV show - do it all.

As for sheet rock - hang black plastic over all windows, then when you are all done, "the sheet rock was fine, all I did was throw on a coat of paint..."

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 05:43:09 pm »

It's just part of the cost of living or doing business in pretty much any city.  Think of the jobs you would be creating.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:05:47 pm »

Ok, turns out our official IBC code is A-2   "Assembly intended for food and or drink consumption including but not limited to:  Banquet Hall, Dance Hall, Night Club, Restaurant, Cafe, Taverns and Bars"

Not what I was wanting to do.

So got a guesstimate for the sprinkler system.  6-8 thou.  Thought, "I can manage that, not fun, but can manage it".  But then the guy said, thats for the inside, outside, from the street into the building... that will run around $27,000.   That, I absolutely can not manage.  

Soooo   A-2 it is.

But, anyone have any idea as to how reasonable it might be to go before the fire board and ask for an exception?  What might my chances be?  How long a process is that?

I would like to do the gift shop/art gallery thing for it would likely be cheaper to start up IF I didn't have to do the sprinkler system.  But if I do, well I can't afford it so will switch gears and see if there is some way to perhaps start off doing an "Internet Cafe" and or "Coffee Shop" type thing that perhaps sells some art and gifts on the side.  Those things will cost more to do, will likely have to get more permits, food handlers, etc.   but will be cheaper than doing the gift shop plus the sprinkler system.

So do I hold on to the chance that I can do my original idea with the hope that I can get an exception?  Or move on and do some sort of Shades of Brown type thing where they do the coffee and such there and bring in some sweets and such.

Or anyone know of anyone wanting to split a space, pay for the sprinkler system, and get free rent for a few years?  Grin

I don't know, working all angles here lol.  Just want to nail down a path and start heading down it and not be in limbo not knowing what the heck to begin working on.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:16:05 pm by TheArtist » Logged

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 02:37:09 pm »

Well, just spoke to someone, that I am sure would know about such things,  about the possibility of getting an exception for the fire sprinkler system... said not gonna happen. 

Boksooner
Activist

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 03:41:34 pm »

I can see it now, an art deco themed coffee shop. What part of downtown is this space located?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org