A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:29:44 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision2 - money for brownfield cleanups  (Read 15763 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 04:15:24 pm »

Here is a presentation about the Tulsa Brownfields.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28j_jvBJT3w

Using the Tulsa Race Riots for this type of advertising is SHAMEFUL and disgusting. Black people have been used for decades in this manner. Dwight Midget is pitiful calling this community redevelopment. I'll give Julius the benefit of the doubt based on his age, but Henderson is pissing in the wind. Calling Morton Health an "exclusive" facility is a blatant lie. It was a segregated hospital as a result of the restricted hospitals in the area. Our juvenile detention facility (along with our jail) should be located as far away as possible from the Brady entertainment district.There's plenty of land in North Tulsa available for mixed use development. This is just more evidence how advertising and our Chambers marketing department do not have a clue how to make our city attractive. If our citizenry wants Federal dollars to clean these hot spots out maybe they should elect people who will do that instead of bemoaning how awful the EPA is and how terrible the President performs. VERY DISAPPOINTING DISPLAY OF BRAINWASHING.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:30 am »

What about unused funds from river development or Boeing (I think there were funds not used for Boeing projects) from the original V-2025 to clean up the brown fields.  I still can't place the old Morton Health Center but the area just to the east of Greenwood is one I definitely would like to see cleaned up as soon as possible.

The proposed Boeing funds were NEVER collected (these would have come from a separate .4% of sales tax collections that was dependent upon Boeing placing a specific plant here, which unfortunately did not happen) and use of the river funds would, appear to, violate the Vision2025 ballot resolutions.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 09:30:00 am »

The proposed Boeing funds were NEVER collected (these would have come from a separate .4% of sales tax collections that was dependent upon Boeing placing a specific plant here, which unfortunately did not happen) and use of the river funds would, appear to, violate the Vision2025 ballot resolutions.

Thanks for monitoring these threads and providing accurate information, Kirby.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 11:00:07 am »

While I assume the supporters of V2 want to avoid the negativity of a "new" tax, I wonder if this plan wouldn't have been better had the vote been for the .4% sales tax that was in V2025 for Boeing (as I recall, that's what was done with the river tax proposal - granted, not the best example to follow).  The airport improvement components have a lot of financing costs based on the bonds.  Basic math says that a substantial part of that cost is because the moneys will be raised/spent now but the tax revenues to pay off the bonds won't start being collected for 4 years.  It doesn't change the underlying merits of the airport facilities improvments proposal, but it would better fit the narrative that these improvements are desperately needed and needed now.  If they are so important to do now, why utilize a revenue stream that doesn't start  to flow for 4 years?

Actually, that is part of a larger general criticsim of V2 - It is too big and has too many projects.  I believe we need a proposal with only a handful of projects that have broad consensus (much like the MAPPs process has played out in OKC).  Then the tax last a much shorter period and success is readily shown.  It would also set up a "promises made, results delievered" message that would resonate with the electorate.  It would also allow us to adapt to changing priorities and capitalize on past success and current momentum with new ideas.  Oh well, maybe next time.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 12:26:08 pm »

While I assume the supporters of V2 want to avoid the negativity of a "new" tax, I wonder if this plan wouldn't have been better had the vote been for the .4% sales tax that was in V2025 for Boeing (as I recall, that's what was done with the river tax proposal - granted, not the best example to follow).  The airport improvement components have a lot of financing costs based on the bonds.  Basic math says that a substantial part of that cost is because the moneys will be raised/spent now but the tax revenues to pay off the bonds won't start being collected for 4 years.  It doesn't change the underlying merits of the airport facilities improvments proposal, but it would better fit the narrative that these improvements are desperately needed and needed now.  If they are so important to do now, why utilize a revenue stream that doesn't start  to flow for 4 years?

Actually, that is part of a larger general criticsim of V2 - It is too big and has too many projects.  I believe we need a proposal with only a handful of projects that have broad consensus (much like the MAPPs process has played out in OKC).  Then the tax last a much shorter period and success is readily shown.  It would also set up a "promises made, results delievered" message that would resonate with the electorate.  It would also allow us to adapt to changing priorities and capitalize on past success and current momentum with new ideas.  Oh well, maybe next time.

Well said.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 12:31:50 pm »

<.Like.>
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »

At the risk of a 15 yard penalty for piling on... +1 as well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »

City readies industrial site clean up plan

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20121015_11_A1_CUTLIN358144

The former Evans-Fintube industrial buildings in north Tulsa are vacant and rusted with numerous broken windows and bullet holes.

Mayor Dewey Bartlett knows well the 25-acre site's redevelopment challenges, but he also sees the potential.

"This could be a great asset to the city, contributing to the tax rolls and the business community," he told the Tulsa World. "We just have to get it there."

The city is in the process of finalizing a north Tulsa brownfields strategic action plan, funded with a $175,000 Environmental Protection Agency grant, that includes six targeted properties, including the city-owned Evans-Fintube complex in the 100 block of North Lansing Avenue.

The others are the city's former Morton Health Center, 636 E. Pine St.; and four privately owned properties: former gas stations at 3519 N. Hartford Ave. and 1047 E. Apache St.; Apache Circle in the 500 block of East Apache St.; and a shopping center in the 2100 block of North Cincinnati Avenue.

Tulsa was one of 23 cities across the country and the only one in Oklahoma to be part of the EPA pilot program.

Brownfields, by definition, are industrial or commercial properties that are abandoned or under utilized and have or potentially have environmental contamination that makes redevelopment difficult.

The EPA program's focus is to group multiple brownfield efforts together to spur an entire area's revitalization rather than simply an individual site, city Chief Economic Development Officer Clay Bird explained.

Tulsa's plan area encompasses Interstate 244 to 36th Street North and Cincinnati to Peoria avenues, and has been limited to a half dozen sites to keep it manageable, Bird said.

The sites were selected by the city, working with Denver-based EFG Brownfield Partners, after a lengthy process of reviewing public records and gathering input at public meetings from the people who live around them.

"We're not saying that these are the only brownfield sites in Tulsa because they exist all over the city," Bird said. "These are just the ones we are choosing to focus on right now."

Once the plan is done, the EPA has agreed to conduct targeted brownfield assessments on the four privately owned properties to determine the extent and nature of the contamination and estimate costs.

Such assessments already have been completed for the city's former Evans-Fintube and Morton Health Center properties, Bird said.

The city will seek EPA grant funding to help with cleanup efforts - acting as a conduit for the private owners, if they choose to move forward. The plan includes possible redevelopment ideas for each site to consider.

City officials are already in the process of applying for $600,000 in EPA grant funding for the Evans-Fintube site.

But with a cleanup estimated to exceed $1 million, the city is dedicated to coming up with its own money for the project.

"We're not going to quit until this is done," Bird said.

Evans-Fintube has long been seen as a site with great potential because of its proximity to downtown and the Oklahoma State University-Tulsa campus. Its location along rail tracks and U.S. 75 has prompted some to suggest it would be ideal as a transportation hub.

The mayor and City Council have allocated $471,000 of Tulsa's potential $158 million Vision2 quality-of-life share - if it is approved by voters Nov. 6 - toward local brownfield cleanup efforts.

Bartlett had wanted at least $5 million, but the council didn't agree.

Council Chairman G.T. Bynum said councilors are supportive of finding additional brownfield funding.

"The reason for the reduction from the mayor's request was purely a factor of weighing priorities," he said, noting that Bartlett had only recommended $55 million for low-water dams, while the council allocated $71 million.

The consensus on the council, Bynum said, was that this is something that can be funded through the city's own capital projects initiatives, possibly through the Fix Our Streets/third penny/general obligation bond renewal that will be sought sometime next year.

"That money would come online immediately," he said. "We won't have to wait five or more years (like with the Tulsa County Vision2 package)."

If the Vision2 funding comes through, Bird said, it would send a clear message to the EPA.

"It would certainly show that we are serious about this," he said, "and it will help us leverage dollars from them."

Ideally, the city could eventually establish its own brownfields fund from which local property owners could apply for grants or zero- interest loans for cleanups, Bird said.

After the experience of putting together a brownfields strategic plan for north Tulsa, city officials hope to replicate it in other areas, perhaps on the west side where there are numerous potential sites.

"These kinds of sites can be hard to redevelop," Bird said, "but they benefit no one by being in the state that they are in."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20121015_11_A1_CUTLIN358144
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org