A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 11:16:01 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Good Kwanzaa, etc.  (Read 2975 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: December 24, 2012, 10:45:34 am »

I do my best thinking this time of year. The air is crisp and clean, I can see further through the woods because the leaves are gone, and most importantly, I am surrounded by people filled with the spirit of the holidays.

While it seems like I want to argue, I really just want a chance to weigh in on different topics and appreciate reading other people versions. I don't get mad very often, instead think of ways to clearly explain why they are mistaken in their views. I respect most of you for passionately expressing how you feel. I even agree with you every once in a while.

My favorite Jesuit philosopher from the early 1600s (I know. There are so many to choose from it is hard to pick a favorite), was a man named Baltasar Gracian. He said, "Better mad with the rest of the world than wise alone." I often have to step back and remember the wisdom of those words.

I consider this forum to be a blessing. It is usually civilized, sometimes moderated, and has more good to say about Tulsa than bad. It has taught me well and I consider myself to be among the most informed citizens in part because of the many posters I read.

We need to share this goodness. My wish for all who read these pages that you take it upon your self to get one other person per month to post their thoughts here. I urge the regulars to show patience with these new people not belittle them (at least not right away). We need more posters. A library is only as good as the number of books they have. We are a library of local news and opinion and frankly only represent a minority of what is Tulsa.

I look forward to reading the TulsaNow comments. You guys are some of the most snarky, helpful, and stubborn people I know. Merry Christmas to each of you and to all your loved ones.

Peace on Earth. Goodwill toward all men.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:52:29 pm by RecycleMichael » Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:19:33 pm »

Once again Mike. Very well said and I agree with you about this Forum. I too have learned more that I ever would have about Tulsa and many other subjects that are discussed here.

I try and get more people to read and at least ponder the possibility to join in and post their thoughts. I'm still amazed at all the guests that are on here at any given moment.
I would like to encourage them to become a part of this forum and help with their knowlege and insite as TulsaNow continues to grow and influence our community.

Hey I'll admit it. My feelings got hurt and I was embarrassed at first with some of the responses to my posts and questions in the beginning. But almost five years on, I feel that I have grown in knowlege and have a better understanding of the other side of topics and opinions and not just the right one, which of course is mine.

So Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my TNF friends. And all the best postings to you.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »

Happy winter solstice with whatever pagan rites you find most agreeable!

I too find this forum a constant source of ideas, some good, some bad, some incomprehensible, and some argued with finesse and passion.  It would be a dull place if we all agreed with one another, speaking with one voice on the variety of topics presented here.  An echo chamber does nothing to make us challenge ideas. 

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 08:47:32 pm »

An echo chamber does nothing to make us challenge ideas. 

Totally off topic but...
I had the opportunity to work in an anechoic chamber in the 80s.  We were measuring the sound power emissions of some equipment.  Interesting place.  My hearing threshold was displaced from the jet ride to Houston so I didn't get to hear my own heartbeat.  (Yes I had/have one, I checked my pulse to be sure.  Cheesy)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:43:50 pm »

Merry Christmas y'all!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:41:05 pm »

Merry Christmas y'all!

20 minutes and counting.  

(Looks like the forum clock is a minute faster than mine.)

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »

Gotta be PC at this time of year. Don't offend others they may have thin skin and have no tolerance for other viewpoints. We need to bend over backwards as to not offend. Happy Holidays~ Happy Kwanzaa..

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:09:59 pm »

Sauer. I think everyone is onboard with "Happy New Year"

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 01:13:44 pm »

Gotta be PC at this time of year. Don't offend others they may have thin skin and have no tolerance for other viewpoints. We need to bend over backwards as to not offend. Happy Holidays~ Happy Kwanzaa..

From your previous post about asking the store clerk 'what holiday', I would think you are talking about yourself.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 01:59:47 pm »

Sauer. I think everyone is onboard with "Happy New Year"
I'd like to thinks so- but I would not be as sure as you are. Don't the chinese celebrate a New Year at another date, we don't want to offend them by wishing them a happy NY at the wrong time.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org