A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 10:28:02 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Buying Time  (Read 29208 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 03:00:40 pm »

I needed to get new cars-one of me and one for my now-16 year old. Drove numerous makes/models, but I must say the new Infiniti rocks.  Anyone else recently test driving cars?

If I was buying today I think I would get the Infinity FX50. I really want to wait until there are good options for AFVs though. Hate to buy another gasoline only car.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 04:15:20 pm »

They have trucks, jeeps, SUVs, sports cars, foreign and domestic. Haven't seen any overpriced rebadged toyotas, honda and nissans, I mean lexus, acura and infinity, though.

Rebadged? Really?

Wink I have owned and own Lexus and Infiniti and the last thing I think about when driving either is, "Hey, this sure is a nice Toyota/Nissan".

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 04:19:44 pm »

I purchased both cars, as my FB friends may know. I will catch hell from the parents in here and ragged on by others for what I got. Let's say economical was not considered.

And now, for something entirely different...just so you won't be disappointed that no one has ragged on you...and that was a nice subtle way to try to deflect, by the way...
(Are you a rabid, mad dog in the court room?  Might need to hire you sometime...)

What are you thinking, buying a kid a car..??  Let alone an expensive 'bumper-car-target' like that?  Trying to instill a sense of entitlement in that poor child?  Make her think she deserves it all to be handed to her on a silver platter?  Geez....no wonder the youth of today are in such trouble!!  How will she ever learn the value of a dollar?  Or probably most importantly, get the self satisfaction and boost to self esteem that one gets when one reaps the rewards of their own hard work and effort??  A "job well done" feedback that is direct, immediate, and measurable by the width of the smile on her face when she gets the key to her own car - not Daddy's purchase of one for her.  Kind of like what you got from your first job that allowed you the purchase of a big ticket item that you did all by yourself!!  Remember how good that felt?  And now, to rip that away from a child...a mere baby of only 16...just starting out on life's grand adventure and not allowed to have that feeling!!  Oh, the horror of it all....

Is that better?  More what you expected?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 04:20:52 pm »

Rebadged? Really?

Wink I have owned and own Lexus and Infiniti and the last thing I think about when driving either is, "Hey, this sure is a nice Toyota/Nissan".

It's automatic and built in - you don't have to consciously think it...it just is!

I've been driving the GS for quite a few months now on a regular basis - have put probably a couple thousand miles on it.  Nice Camry.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 04:52:42 pm »

And now, for something entirely different...just so you won't be disappointed that no one has ragged on you...and that was a nice subtle way to try to deflect, by the way...
(Are you a rabid, mad dog in the court room?  Might need to hire you sometime...)

What are you thinking, buying a kid a car..??  Let alone an expensive 'bumper-car-target' like that?  Trying to instill a sense of entitlement in that poor child?  Make her think she deserves it all to be handed to her on a silver platter?  Geez....no wonder the youth of today are in such trouble!!  How will she ever learn the value of a dollar?  Or probably most importantly, get the self satisfaction and boost to self esteem that one gets when one reaps the rewards of their own hard work and effort??  A "job well done" feedback that is direct, immediate, and measurable by the width of the smile on her face when she gets the key to her own car - not Daddy's purchase of one for her.  Kind of like what you got from your first job that allowed you the purchase of a big ticket item that you did all by yourself!!  Remember how good that felt?  And now, to rip that away from a child...a mere baby of only 16...just starting out on life's grand adventure and not allowed to have that feeling!!  Oh, the horror of it all....

Is that better?  More what you expected?

Yes. And thanks. I needed/deserved that, plus keep heaping it on.   But to be fair, the Mrs. had a hand in this too.  Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 05:24:20 pm »

They have trucks, jeeps, SUVs, sports cars, foreign and domestic. Haven't seen any overpriced rebadged toyotas, honda and nissans, I mean lexus, acura and infinity, though.

I don't want a truck or SUV.  Jeep, just another SUV.  There have always been places that rented sports cars but I never got to get one on my employers dollar.  I have rented foreign and domestic and mostly they were plain vanilla, ripe for resale to people who only want transportation and don't really care too much about anything else except for cup holders.  They weren't bad vehicles, just not what I would buy for myself.  It has been a while since I rented a car so maybe things have changed.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 07:22:28 pm »

Yes. And thanks. I needed/deserved that, plus keep heaping it on.   But to be fair, the Mrs. had a hand in this too.  Grin

You are very welcome!  Always glad to help! 

Trying to share the blame, huh?  Well, if you would be so kind as to just show or pass that on to her, I would appreciate it! 

Are you making book on when the first little ding, dent, or scrape appears on the kid's car?  We could start a pool....!!??

Still...she is a lucky kid!  Good Daddy!!

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 09:42:59 pm »

Are you making book on when the first little ding, dent, or scrape appears on the kid's car?  We could start a pool....!!??

I'm panicked over how close she will be parked next to my car in the garage. She can get a two-fer with little effort.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 09:54:35 pm »

I'm panicked over how close she will be parked next to my car in the garage. She can get a two-fer with little effort.

I'd put $10 on that... by the end of August - before the start of school.  In your garage!!

It wouldn't cost that much more than the car to just build another stall onto the garage....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 09:59:18 pm »

guido,

For probably less money, she could have had transportation AND a camper - think Spring Break!!  She will be going next year, won't she?  Good for mud and snow, too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 06:19:11 am »

If you really cared about your child's future well being:
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 07:33:36 am »

If you really cared about your child's future well being:

I want one of those....

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 08:25:50 am »

Infiniti turning radius sucks.  Don't know why, but it absolutely sucks.  I've driven several models and they are wonderful and powerful but the turning geometry is worse than driving an RV.  I always like Mercedes.  Drove one for over 200K miles, and it still looked and performed like new.  They are also safe and reliable, built like little tanks. 

In 2000 a woman pulled out in front of me while I was going down Riverside.  She was in a Taurus wagen and I was in my little Mercedes.  The impact literally folded the Taurus in half, and removed the grill and bumper skin from my Mercedes.  Besides the shocking jolt, there was very little damage to my car, and no damage to myself.  The impact was not powerful enough to even deploy an airbag. Under the bumper cover was a steel bumper that resembled an I-beam nearly a quarter of an inch thick mounted with two hydraulic shock absorbing mounts.  The repair to my car consisted of a new bumper skin, grill and one headlight housing, about $700 total.  Her car was totalled. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 08:55:14 am »

If I were looking for my kiddo, I would look for a Subaru (I like their two new models and had an outback which was awesome) or maybe a Nissan Juke. 

For me... I would have to go with the Hyundai Genesis.  Love the style and they are putting out good product these days.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 09:47:19 am »

If I were looking for my kiddo, I would look for a Subaru (I like their two new models and had an outback which was awesome) or maybe a Nissan Juke. 

For me... I would have to go with the Hyundai Genesis.  Love the style and they are putting out good product these days.

That is an awesome car!  The quality on all of their models is excellent.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org