A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 08:32:19 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Buying Time  (Read 29183 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 12:07:45 pm »

In 2000 a woman pulled out in front of me while I was going down Riverside.  She was in a Taurus wagen and I was in my little Mercedes.  The impact literally folded the Taurus in half, and removed the grill and bumper skin from my Mercedes.  Besides the shocking jolt, there was very little damage to my car, and no damage to myself.  The impact was not powerful enough to even deploy an airbag. Under the bumper cover was a steel bumper that resembled an I-beam nearly a quarter of an inch thick mounted with two hydraulic shock absorbing mounts.  The repair to my car consisted of a new bumper skin, grill and one headlight housing, about $700 total.  Her car was totalled. 

That was because your car had the previous bumper system  - her Taurus did not.  (Mercedes doesn't have that now, either).  It was mandatory at one time to have a bumper that could withstand 5 mph impact with NO damage.  Now, you can breath hard on a bumper and cause $1000 of damage.  But thank God (and Reagan) we got rid of those "unwarranted government intrusions" into auto manufacturing....!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 12:09:45 pm »

If I were looking for my kiddo, I would look for a Subaru (I like their two new models and had an outback which was awesome) or maybe a Nissan Juke. 

For me... I would have to go with the Hyundai Genesis.  Love the style and they are putting out good product these days.

Haven't driven a Subaru lately (last 10 years) but they used to be the most comfortable small car made!!  I loved the Legacy!  Wish they would import a diesel!!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2013, 01:03:29 pm »

Infiniti turning radius sucks.  Don't know why, but it absolutely sucks.  I've driven several models and they are wonderful and powerful but the turning geometry is worse than driving an RV.  I always like Mercedes.  Drove one for over 200K miles, and it still looked and performed like new.  They are also safe and reliable, built like little tanks. 

In 2000 a woman pulled out in front of me while I was going down Riverside.  She was in a Taurus wagen and I was in my little Mercedes.  The impact literally folded the Taurus in half, and removed the grill and bumper skin from my Mercedes.  Besides the shocking jolt, there was very little damage to my car, and no damage to myself.  The impact was not powerful enough to even deploy an airbag. Under the bumper cover was a steel bumper that resembled an I-beam nearly a quarter of an inch thick mounted with two hydraulic shock absorbing mounts.  The repair to my car consisted of a new bumper skin, grill and one headlight housing, about $700 total.  Her car was totalled. 

The one I bought was my second Infiniti, and one of several I have driven. Turn radius is not remotely an issue with me as far as this particular model goes (M56X-S). Before I purchased it, I tested the Mercedes E350, a BMW 550, Volvo, and nothing came close to overall performance and options. Not a slap at those fine cars, just that this Infiniti is a monster.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2013, 01:33:53 pm »

Lots can be learned about a vehicle by googling it. I  googled "Dodge Dakota" and found they have a lot of issues, one is the heater core problems and it  requires you take half the vehicle apart to service it. They build the Dodge Dakota by hanging the heater core from the ceiling in the factory and they build the truck around it. Other issues are wheel bearings fail a lot, in short they are troublesome vehicles, so I won't be buying any Dakotas.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »

Infiniti turning radius sucks.  Don't know why, but it absolutely sucks.  I've driven several models and they are wonderful and powerful but the turning geometry is worse than driving an RV.  I always like Mercedes.  Drove one for over 200K miles, and it still looked and performed like new.  They are also safe and reliable, built like little tanks. 

Yep those are old 5 mph bumpers they were pretty tuff, two cars with 5 mph bumpers can hit each other at 10 mph -if it's a square on hit there should be no damage. The 1970 and 1980 cars were built very strong. Today cars are designed to collapse and buckle in a impact to protect the people inside. However in a minor impact they also crumple.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 02:09:23 pm »

so I won't be buying any Dakotas.

A popular sentiment.  Thus they are no longer made.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »

That was because your car had the previous bumper system  - her Taurus did not.  (Mercedes doesn't have that now, either).  It was mandatory at one time to have a bumper that could withstand 5 mph impact with NO damage.  Now, you can breath hard on a bumper and cause $1000 of damage.  But thank God (and Reagan) we got rid of those "unwarranted government intrusions" into auto manufacturing....!!

It was a 1991.  190D

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 08:12:39 pm »

A popular sentiment.  Thus they are no longer made.

Ah yes, the day late and dollar short syndrome.

Also, "You should have been here yesterday" from the "Endless Summer".

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2013, 08:35:27 am »

I made the same choice for my 16 year old (12 years ago) as Guido did. I found a well maintained 1986 Mercedes, 190e iirc, at a good price and figured it would last through college. Kids at his high school thought he was a drug dealer. The green eyed monster made sure that people opened their doors into his. Then it needed brakes and Mercedes loves their parts and labor.

Eventually a drunk Owasso girl, driving her grandmother's stolen vehicle late one night, crossed three lanes on 75 and ran it off the road. It was totaled. Her granny lawyered up and alleged she was run off the road by a vehicle that left the scene. My scaredy cat insurance company paid them.

Take from it what you will. I could afford it at the time and thought safety was more important than lessons on financial responsibility. I wouldn't do it again.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2013, 08:50:17 pm »

Take from it what you will. I could afford it at the time and thought safety was more important than lessons on financial responsibility. I wouldn't do it again.

The Mercedes seems to be pretty good on safety....almost as good as the Grand Marquis!  Even the BMW 3 series got almost as good as Grand Marquis!!  (Who do you suppose is paying IIHS the most "testing" fees...??  Or maybe it's just a "Made in USA" thing for NHTSA??)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Mercury_Grand-Marquis/Safety/

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class/Safety/

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2013, 09:46:23 pm »

I made the same choice for my 16 year old (12 years ago) as Guido did. I found a well maintained 1986 Mercedes, 190e iirc, at a good price and figured it would last through college.

You bought your kid a 15yr old car. Guido bought a new car. How is that the same?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2013, 10:04:05 pm »

A. I didn't buy him a Chevy Corsica
B. I didn't make him work to pay for it
C. It was a pretty nice low mileage car even then

onward...through the fog
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 07:03:34 am »

A. I didn't buy him a Chevy Corsica

Aww...

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 08:54:48 am »

Ooooh. Its got a spoiler.....

onward...through the fog
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 02:57:37 pm »

Last Friday night. My stepson went and bought a car on his own from Jim Norton Chevy here in B.A.
He really didn't want to discuss to much about it because he was wanting to do this on his own.
He had saved up 4500 dollars and went and put it all down on a 2010 Camero.
It took the Salesman over four hours to get him financed. He does not have horrible credit just not enough to do what he was wanting to do.
Now he is on the hook for a 20 Thousand dollar loan at 18% interest. I tried to get him to not sign the final papers but apperently he was told that he already had, but he did not have possession of the car at the time he was telling us this.
He went back to the Dealership and returned with the car. His best friend was also a big player in all of this because he was with him the whole time.
It started to sink in that evening what he had done and he had a anxiety attack and could not sleep all night. He returned Saturday morning and wanted to return the car and found out that Oklahoma is one of the States that does not have a right to recission law.
The sales rep told him that he needs to keep it and have it work towards his credit rating and in a year go to a bank or credit union and refinance it at a lower rate.
Is this really how Car Dealerships have gotten? or has it been that long since I have done the new car dance?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org