A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 08:22:36 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Buying Time  (Read 29159 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2013, 12:32:19 pm »

You seem angry?

You're an example of people who spread these rumors about the industry without any personal knowledge.  Because of this, the industry has a difficult time finding and keeping valuable employees.

Without these better employees, you get dealerships who have a much lower standard for salespersons.  These lower end, desperate salespersons treat people poorly and give the industry a poor name.

You said you bought 9 cars in 10 years.  You think that makes you an expert?  The only thing you know is that you bought 9 cars in 10 years.  I doubt you have any idea what you really paid for any of those cars.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2013, 01:17:58 pm »

....they are simply attempting to get the maximum profit in the transaction.  The sales staff is trained in several closing techniques to do just that.  There is nothing wrong with that.  In fact, I respect it.

Not sure where the emotion is coming from on this one.  The quote above applies to (or should apply to) any commissioned salesperson.  I've been in consulting and software sales for most of my career, and it applies to me and every other salesperson I know.  It's part of the job to get the best deal you can, and of course vice-verse for the buyer.  Now if falsehoods are involved, or somebody is being taken advantage of due to unfair practices, that's another thing.   But a salesperson is expected to (fairly) get the most he/she can out of a deal.  It's the nature of the job.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2013, 01:27:06 pm »

Not sure where the emotion is coming from on this one.  The quote above applies to (or should apply to) any commissioned salesperson.  I've been in consulting and software sales for most of my career, and it applies to me and every other salesperson I know.  It's part of the job to get the best deal you can, and of course vice-verse for the buyer.  Now if falsehoods are involved, or somebody is being taken advantage of due to unfair practices, that's another thing.   But a salesperson is expected to (fairly) get the most he/she can out of a deal.  It's the nature of the job.

He has a tendency to post less than informed opinions. 

The

The initial qualification phase of the sales process is to figure out how much they can squeeze and what is your tolerance for outrageous financing.

is his way of trying to sound informed about something that he is not.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2013, 01:32:52 pm »

He has a tendency to post less than informed opinions. 

The

is his way of trying to sound informed about something that he is not.

Which is why on my last new car purchase (this week) I dealt with the same salesman that I had on my last one, and have an acquaintance in the financial department.  Asked for him to do the financial and I got an ever better deal than what the salesperson gave me.

There's always a little give and take in face-to-face retail buying where a commissioned salesperson is involved.  And it doesn't hurt to know someone also.

Cheesy

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2013, 01:58:31 pm »

I don't get where the emotion is flowing from either.  I've been selling in some capacity for 20 years.  The idea is that sales people try to get the highest profit and customers try to get the best price.  There is nothing to be emotional about.  Car dealerships have access to a host of financing options to present to their clients, and it is in their best interest to choose the one that will deliver the fastest and most reliable transaction based on the customer's credit.  If the customer wants to purchase a vehicle for sticker, and is willing to pay 18% interest financed over 6 years, by-golly the automotive sales professional is going to ink that deal.  It's his/her job.

This odd sensitivity must be springing from somewhere else.

Towney is correct that there does seem to be a stigma about car salesmen, and that stigma tends to be self perpetuating.  Sorry about that.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2013, 02:12:08 pm »

Which is why on my last new car purchase (this week) I dealt with the same salesman that I had on my last one, and have an acquaintance in the financial department.  Asked for him to do the financial and I got an ever better deal than what the salesperson gave me.

There's always a little give and take in face-to-face retail buying where a commissioned salesperson is involved.  And it doesn't hurt to know someone also.

Cheesy

So basically, you got your head torn off.  Wink  What did you buy this go-round?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2013, 02:12:17 pm »

I don't get where the emotion is flowing from either. 

When you post something you know little about maybe you should add "IMO" to show that you're not trying to come off as expert.

Sell anything for 100 years.  You'll never have a clue what it's like to be in the car business.

That stigma you speak of is due, in part, to folks like you popping off with a low end insult about an entire industry you don't understand.

I was in the business for 15 years.  I've seen some crazy stuff (customer and employee).  The people coming onto a lot are so scared and guarded, they can't help but act like they have a mental issue.  If they realize all they have to say is "no", everything would be okay.

In a few years, I won't have a clue about the business either.  Stick to smoked meats and you'll do fine.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2013, 02:16:46 pm »

When you post something you know little about maybe you should add "IMO" to show that you're not trying to come off as expert.

Sell anything for 100 years.  You'll never have a clue what it's like to be in the car business.

That stigma you speak of is due, in part, to folks like you popping off with a low end insult about an entire industry you don't understand.

I was in the business for 15 years.  I've seen some crazy stuff (customer and employee).  The people coming onto a lot are so scared and guarded, they can't help but act like they have a mental issue.  If they realize all they have to say is "no", everything would be okay.

In a few years, I won't have a clue about the business either.  Stick to smoked meats and you'll do fine.

Sorry to have hit a nerve, but this is not a new stigma that I am somehow responsible for. It's decades old and part of our culture.  In many cases it's false, but in many it is also very true.  Even the dealers embrace it. Sorry that it bothers you so.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdj3n1SRGto[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0uhKiYkqH0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFRbdtxA9D4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evHTbyLKiWE[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5LrBqWYuHE[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QeWO9K7Egs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5CKSqlz60[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRLLtwUeoO4[/youtube]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2013, 02:18:24 pm »

Aside from different players being in the business, I doubt much will have changed when you look back in 10-15 years.

The main differences I see today from when I was in the business is the proliferation of the internet and more value-added packages at the point of purchase (i.e. scratch protection for a year, key replacement, road side assistance, complimentary oil changes, etc.). 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2013, 02:19:47 pm »

Sorry to have hit a nerve, but this is not a new stigma that I am somehow responsible for. It's decades old and part of our culture.  In many cases it's false, but in many it is also very true.  Even the dealers embrace it. Sorry that it bothers you so.

Your repetitive "I'm an expert" posts.

You've been told about them before but we just spin our wheels with you.

At least in a non-election year, there are less of them.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2013, 02:21:16 pm »

Aside from different players being in the business, I doubt much will have changed when you look back in 10-15 years.

The main differences I see today from when I was in the business is the proliferation of the internet and more value-added packages at the point of purchase (i.e. scratch protection for a year, key replacement, road side assistance, complimentary oil changes, etc.). 

The numbers have a wide swing.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2013, 02:23:25 pm »

And the best ever used car commercial:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ip8gspFaH8[/youtube]

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2013, 02:27:50 pm »

And the best ever used car commercial:

Great flick.  Might as well have been discussing the bible when you talked about this movie on a car lot in the 90's .
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2013, 04:01:07 pm »

I do a lot of research and I know what cars they have available and what I should pay before I ever walk onto a lot. I use prices from other cities to counterbalance our usually higher pricing and if a place can't do a price that I think is right, that's fine. No hard feelings.

But, I think as with anything how you feel about buying a car has a lot to do with where you buy it.  That Riverside/Chevy/Nissan outfit that’s now called something else is the worse snakepit I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. Jackie Cooper and Don Carlton are always very nice and professional and getting a deal done with them that I feel good about hasn’t ever been a problem.

My rule basically is if they yell in the ads on TV, you don’t want to deal with them.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2013, 04:02:46 pm »

Great flick.  Might as well have been discussing the bible when you talked about this movie on a car lot in the 90's .

Kinda like "Office Space" in most offices in the last 15 years.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org