A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 07:19:46 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Oktoberfest in Trouble, as RiverParks Makes Drastic Changes  (Read 39506 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 12:24:31 am »

After reading all of the posts here, and the fact that I have not lived in Tulsa for some time, I remember that OF was a volunteer event that was held on the west bank which is/was owned by RPA since the inception of the event. I went to OF several times from '84 to the last time I went in '97, and the event was always well run, and I actually was happy when they went to the ticket system. I never thought of it as a "drunk fest" and as others here have mentioned that on any given Friday or Saturday night (actually any night) at any bar in Tulsa there is more crap that goes on there than at OF. From what I have read here, OF had a loss of $60k in 2010, (and with some festivals, this can happen anytime for any number of reasons) and it seems this was their biggest loss, and they asked for help from RPA. It just sounds like to me, that RPA has taken over, and if they are part of the city, it could explain why ABLE is involved and the sweeping changes.

I worked for a time at Saied Music, and remember that some of the German Bands came in to buy things for their instruments that they needed, and they talked about how they loved coming to Tulsa for OF because it was so popular and how they were received. It would be a shame for OF to become diluted like it sounds it may be, to see something grow to recognition, only to be gutted.

Just my $.02 and thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:29:00 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 07:30:09 am »

I'm happy that the RPA is trying to add some class to what should be an urbane and sedate affair. The Bacchanal has gone on for far too long. This is a festival to celebrate October after all.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2013, 07:37:44 am »

I'm happy that the RPA is trying to add some class to what should be an urbane and sedate affair. The Bacchanal has gone on for far too long. This is a festival to celebrate October after all.

"LIKE"   Anytime a Futurama reference actually works, we should all take a moment to appreciate it.  I'm with Fry on this one...

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2013, 09:03:26 am »

After reading all of the posts here, and the fact that I have not lived in Tulsa for some time, I remember that OF was a volunteer event that was held on the west bank which is/was owned by RPA since the inception of the event. I went to OF several times from '84 to the last time I went in '97, and the event was always well run, and I actually was happy when they went to the ticket system. I never thought of it as a "drunk fest" and as others here have mentioned that on any given Friday or Saturday night (actually any night) at any bar in Tulsa there is more crap that goes on there than at OF. From what I have read here, OF had a loss of $60k in 2010, (and with some festivals, this can happen anytime for any number of reasons) and it seems this was their biggest loss, and they asked for help from RPA. It just sounds like to me, that RPA has taken over, and if they are part of the city, it could explain why ABLE is involved and the sweeping changes.

I worked for a time at Saied Music, and remember that some of the German Bands came in to buy things for their instruments that they needed, and they talked about how they loved coming to Tulsa for OF because it was so popular and how they were received. It would be a shame for OF to become diluted like it sounds it may be, to see something grow to recognition, only to be gutted.

Just my $.02 and thoughts.

For reference, RPA doesn't own either the West Bank or the Oktoberfest. It is public land administered by an authority because there were bigger plans for it than city park land, and RPA leases their use to OF which is a non profit. We really don't want a public authority owning a festival or any other business on public lands. It is unwise. Think about the Airport Authority owning airplanes and competing with private entities. If they have in fact taken it over because of financial difficulties then we should all be protesting vigorously. That would be no different than bailing out banks and automakers. If they fail, then so be it. That's our business system.

As far as drunks I have a solid point of reference. As someone who is often out on Friday and Saturday nights, sober, visiting these clubs and restaurants you speak of, no, there is no comparison. OF is a drunkfest. Because of good security, it doesn't have much trouble with criminal behavior like fights, and public urination etc. but many more drunks per square foot than anywhere I have served. I also operated a water ferry back and forth across the river carrying patrons one year. Solid port to starboard drunks who peed in the river and stiffed me on fares.

I enjoyed OF from its inception on the east bank where it was much more family and narrowly focused as a German fall celebration. I even enjoyed it on the west bank for a few years until it became focused on beer and started to look more like the Tulsa State Fair. It is due some change as the young people who once stumbled around drunk are now pushing strollers and sheparding toddlers.

onward...through the fog
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2013, 11:48:09 pm »

For reference, RPA doesn't own either the West Bank or the Oktoberfest. It is public land administered by an authority because there were bigger plans for it than city park land, and RPA leases their use to OF which is a non profit. We really don't want a public authority owning a festival or any other business on public lands. It is unwise. Think about the Airport Authority owning airplanes and competing with private entities. If they have in fact taken it over because of financial difficulties then we should all be protesting vigorously. That would be no different than bailing out banks and automakers. If they fail, then so be it. That's our business system.

Thanks, my memory is rather fuzzy at times, and I could not remember how RPA was set up. It was my understanding from the article that they had asked RPA for help after a bad year in 2010, and I was taking it from the article that RPA was now running OF. Will go back and reread it. Thanks for the comparison to the Airport Authority scenario, I kind of thought of it being similar to that.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2013, 12:48:57 am »

Now that the ABLE goons are involved, I'm not going. Fark those farking farks.

I'll just get a personal keg of Warsteiner and stay at home chicken-dancing on the dining room table.

Or as I like to call it, "typical Wednesday night".   
rdj
City Father

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 10:08:29 am »

Went to Oktoberfest last night.  Spent $24 and received a nice acrylic stein to keep plus they filled it up twice.  A few more bucks than the popular pitcher but I have a nice stein I'll actually use again.  Two liters is about 5-6 beers so at $4-5 a pop not too bad on a per beer basis.  Seeing everyone walking around with their steins is a nice sight.  I say prost to the Oktoberfest planners!

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 10:31:16 am »

MC and I went.  The requisite brat burger and reuben sandwich and four pints of beer tabbed out at $40.  Not bad for a festival.  By far, the liter is a better deal as premium beers are $7/pint (and it looks more like a 12oz pint) and it's $10 to refill a stein.

I considered a stein but with Marshall's having four new varieties brewed exclusively for Oktoberfest, I hated to be married to a liter of any of them for fear of not getting to try them all. 

I'd had the dunkel when it was available as a limited release a few months back- maybe the best brew he's done in my book.

They also brought an altbier which pays homage to earlier style German ale making, a Kolsch, and a single malt/single hop called the "onesie" which also pays homage to Eric's daughter who turns one on Saturday.

The Kolsch was the only one I didn't get to try as I kept myself to a three pint limit and MC only wanted a pint of dunkel.

We did notice there doesn't seem to be as many artists or craft vendors this year as in years past.  Seemed like maybe a few more carnival rides.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 10:45:18 am »

MC and I went.  The requisite brat burger and reuben sandwich and four pints of beer tabbed out at $40. 

AAck!  Brat was meant to be a sausage... feed the burgers to the ABLE trolls under the bridge.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:25 am »

AAck!  Brat was meant to be a sausage... feed the burgers to the ABLE trolls under the bridge.

It is a sausage, just in patty form!  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 11:52:21 am »

MC and I went.  The requisite brat burger and reuben sandwich and four pints of beer tabbed out at $40.  Not bad for a festival.  By far, the liter is a better deal as premium beers are $7/pint (and it looks more like a 12oz pint) and it's $10 to refill a stein.

I considered a stein but with Marshall's having four new varieties brewed exclusively for Oktoberfest, I hated to be married to a liter of any of them for fear of not getting to try them all. 

I'd had the dunkel when it was available as a limited release a few months back- maybe the best brew he's done in my book.

They also brought an altbier which pays homage to earlier style German ale making, a Kolsch, and a single malt/single hop called the "onesie" which also pays homage to Eric's daughter who turns one on Saturday.

The Kolsch was the only one I didn't get to try as I kept myself to a three pint limit and MC only wanted a pint of dunkel.

We did notice there doesn't seem to be as many artists or craft vendors this year as in years past.  Seemed like maybe a few more carnival rides.

They are advertised as 16 oz.  Was that not the case?  On a per oz basis they are about 40% more than doing the one liter, but your variety is less.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:43:36 pm by rdj » Logged

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »

They are advertised as 16 oz.  Was that not the case? 

It takes about a 16 oz glass to hold a 12 oz beer + the head.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 03:30:12 pm »

Oktoberfest needs some beer pouring volunteers I hear.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 07:13:30 pm »

Went to Oktoberfest last night.  Spent $24 and received a nice acrylic stein to keep plus they filled it up twice.  A few more bucks than the popular pitcher but I have a nice stein I'll actually use again.  Two liters is about 5-6 beers so at $4-5 a pop not too bad on a per beer basis.  Seeing everyone walking around with their steins is a nice sight.  I say prost to the Oktoberfest planners!

I would say something like 80% or more of the people I saw were carrying steins, so I'd say it was a good move. My money mainly went to Helmut's.

I haven't been in years so I can't really compare to last year. I did think people actually sat on benches instead of just standing on the benches, standing on tables, standing in every single walkway...
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »

Preliminary attendance numbers were around 65,000 for the weekend so the changes didn't seem to keep many people away.  I think most liked the new steins.  

I was recently in Denver when the Great American Beer Festival was going on which also coincided with their Oktoberfest celebration downtown.  It got me thinking that Tulsa should expand its Oktoberfest to be more of a beer festival (more than it already is) along with the traditional food, rides, music, crafts and the chicken dance.  It could be a celebration of fall and good beer, and highlight local breweries.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org