A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 11:23:43 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At what point does this city start taking cyclist safety seriously?  (Read 25520 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 04:58:18 pm »

honestly. I saw one of those motorized bicycles cruising up Admiral at Yale while getting my muffler fixed. HE RAN THE RED! Must have doing about 7mph which made it look like slow motion. I was so surprised that the drivers on Yale didn't flatten him. They were probably as astounded as I was.

onward...through the fog
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 01:12:10 pm »

Cyclists need to realize how hard they are for drivers to see at night, heck, a few days ago I saw a cyclist dressed in all black riding at night on N. 73rd ave. the only thing that gave him away was the reflective bike pedals, (no light or anything). Riding any bike at night is risky no matter what. The best place to ride a bike is on the jogging trails.  I am not a cyclist and I have not rode a bike in decades, but I am a hard core runner and the only place I ever run is on the jogging trails, you'll never catch me jogging in the streets, not even side streets, I stick to the trails only when I go running.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 01:16:50 pm »

Many posts talk about drunk drivers, but a even worse threat  is cell phone and texting drivers- for some reason talking on a cell phone  while driving zones out the brain, texting is worse, they say texting is more dangerous than a drunk 90 year old driver and ya can't get any more dangerous that that. I seen cars drive normally on I-244, then suddenly the car slows down and weaves I drive around and see the driver on the cell phone.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 01:21:08 pm »

The driver problem of  texting/cell phone use  can be solved by a couple of ways: One, design cars to block cell phone signals (shield) when the engine is on, and Two,  Design cell phones so that they don't work when they are moving faster than 5mph (a walking pace). I guess some laws will need to be changed. That will instantly stop many crashes. No cell phone talking/texting ban laws needed. Undecided
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:23:35 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 03:20:54 pm »

The driver problem of  texting/cell phone use  can be solved by a couple of ways: One, design cars to block cell phone signals (shield) when the engine is on, and Two,  Design cell phones so that they don't work when they are moving faster than 5mph (a walking pace). I guess some laws will need to be changed. That will instantly stop many crashes. No cell phone talking/texting ban laws needed. Undecided

I have no problem with a passenger in a car (not the driver) using a cell phone or texting.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 02:13:15 pm »

I have no problem with a passenger in a car (not the driver) using a cell phone or texting.
What is so urgent that that it can't wait? Besides  a cell/texting passenger can involve the driver and take his mind off the road. We can't have it all. Ban 'em totally from cars IMO-  A passenger cannot drink in car even if the driver is not drinking- why is that?  The same can apply to cell phones. "Hang Up -N- Drive"

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 07:35:24 pm »

I have hands free Bluetooth in my car and it's no different than talking to the person next to you. Should we also ban talking?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 09:00:59 pm »

I have hands free Bluetooth in my car and it's no different than talking to the person next to you. Should we also ban talking?

My latest car has that (BT hands free) and it's excellent.

Sauer is living in the 70s still.  Explains his ideology.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »

Probably.  I have seen a lot of very distracted drivers who got that way just by talking to the person next to them....

Mostly the hands free isn't the big problem - it's the hands ON, either dialing or texting - both are the same, dialing is just fewer digits most of the time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 01:00:37 pm »

Probably.  I have seen a lot of very distracted drivers who got that way just by talking to the person next to them....

Mostly the hands free isn't the big problem - it's the hands ON, either dialing or texting - both are the same, dialing is just fewer digits most of the time.

God forbid parents talk to the kids in the back seat. I'd like to see a study on that.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 02:51:00 pm »

Even hands-free some people are miserable multi-taskers and forget they are driving. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 10:44:45 pm »

Friday morning I was directly behind a lady who apparently did not see that everyone in front of her was stopped at a red light. She plowed her Expedition into the car in front of her which then pushed four more cars together. I have no idea whether she was on the phone, daydreaming, turned around talking to her kid, or whatever other scenario, but she was distracted enough to not even hit her brakes more than half a second before she hit the car in front of her. Thankfully, no one was injured too badly, but we have all got to pay attention while driving. Especially with the size of many people's vehicles - several tons of metal can quickly turn deadly.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 10:53:17 pm »

Friday morning I was directly behind a lady who apparently did not see that everyone in front of her was stopped at a red light. She plowed her Expedition into the car in front of her which then pushed four more cars together. I have no idea whether she was on the phone, daydreaming, turned around talking to her kid, or whatever other scenario, but she was distracted enough to not even hit her brakes more than half a second before she hit the car in front of her. Thankfully, no one was injured too badly, but we have all got to pay attention while driving. Especially with the size of many people's vehicles - several tons of metal can quickly turn deadly.

What do you tell the cops on the scene when that happens?  "I'm sorry officer, I had my head so far up my donkey I didn't see the brake lights and red traffic signal."

I'm convinced people simply have no respect for other motorists, are entirely pre-occupied with other things than driving, and are in too big a hurry to get where they are going they take really stupid risks without considering the consequences to themselves and those around them.

It's really gotten worse the last 10 years or so, IMO.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 04:11:09 pm »

Three psyoclists riding east on 111th towards Memorial in the mid afternoon on Sunday It's a forty-plus mph zone for a reason, and those selfish clowns had traffic backed up. Thankfully, the leader of the three was directing traffic behind him, I'm sure they appreciated that.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:20 pm »

Three psyoclists riding east on 111th towards Memorial in the mid afternoon on Sunday It's a forty-plus mph zone for a reason, and those selfish clowns had traffic backed up. Thankfully, the leader of the three was directing traffic behind him, I'm sure they appreciated that.

Are they worse than the selfish clowns who feel the need to run red lights in a two ton vehicle?  MC and I drove a mile to Walgreens tonight and I saw three red lights blatantly blown. 

Next time, I'll make sure I'm driving when she's under the influence of pain meds.  Damn it!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org