A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 01:19:59 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At what point does this city start taking cyclist safety seriously?  (Read 25538 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 07:33:08 pm »

Next time, I'll make sure I'm driving when she's under the influence of pain meds.  Damn it!

Go get em...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 07:02:13 pm »

God forbid parents talk to the kids in the back seat. I'd like to see a study on that.

Can we make that retroactive about 50 years and get the old man to stay facing forward??   With both hands if possible.... (No real complaint - I deserved a lot more than I ever got caught for.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:44 pm »

Can we make that retroactive about 50 years and get the old man to stay facing forward??   With both hands if possible.... (No real complaint - I deserved a lot more than I ever got caught for.)

They had cars back then?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 09:00:42 pm »

They had cars back then?

Chebbies!!  (Bow-Ties)  34, 48, 52, 57, 61, 64, 70.  Then on to the Buicks and Oldsmobiles!!

Three 57 Chevies in the family at one time!  Geez, I wish we had kept them!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »

I'm a runner as most know, and I also cycle. So am I offended by this? Nope. Hilarious, because I am a little guilty because I post run times on FB via Nike. And you can easily substitute cyclists for runners.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304448204579186401818882202?mod=trending_now_2

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 09:50:29 pm »

I'm a runner as most know, and I also cycle. So am I offended by this? Nope. Hilarious, because I am a little guilty because I post run times on FB via Nike. And you can easily substitute cyclists for runners.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304448204579186401818882202?mod=trending_now_2

I rode 3 centuries and one century and a half.  One of the centuries was the day after the the 1 1/2.... Went way up into Kansas to visit friends/family, then came back the next day...ran out of steam at 104 miles near Bartlesville, so had to get a ride the rest of the way.  Fantastic ride, though.  Gotta get back on that bike.

Rode 6,200 miles in 9 days on the Harley one time, with half day stop to visit friend in Spokane.  About as much fun between bicycle and 'bike'.... wind is good!  Looking forward to an "Iron Butt Rally" sometime soon....have done several Saddle Sore rides over the years.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:52:17 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:53 am »

"Why would someone want to get up at 5 a.m. and run 10 miles adorned with fluorescent tape to avoid being struck by someone who has the good sense to use a car for a 10-mile journey?"

I've heard that same gripe (critique, etc..) about almost every sport/recreational activity there is, and almost always by somebody who doesn't participate in that particular activity.  "Why would somebody want to drive all the way to South Dakota to hunt pheasants?",  "Why would anybody want to ride 100 miles on on a bike", etc.  But this guy sounds more like the purist who takes excessive pride in "doing it for the pleasure of it", and will lord it over anybody who (a) doesn't do it like he does, and/or  (b) ever mentions any sort of personal achievement to anyone.  I saw a similar rant the other day related to taking and posting the requisite "hero shot" of a big fish somebody might want to brag about, before the fish is released. 

I haven't caught a 20" Brown Trout, or finished a 100 miles on a bike in under five hours, or run a marathon.  ("yet", to all...), but if you did, brag about it.  You earned it, and it gives me something to shoot for.  Because really, if that idiot with the sticker on their car do it, I figure I can too.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 09:31:30 am »

Yes, I have to confess to being guilty of having a “look at me” sticker on my car for the LT-100.  Being an LT finisher is a pretty neat feeling.  I’m going back for my third one next summer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-e9kJflyMw[/youtube]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:27 pm »

Look at me stickers and t-shirts are awesome. If you worked hard enough to participate in the event then why not brag about it. Sports are hard work.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 11:47:19 pm »

Wow. This writer has no problems calling it like he sees it. Someone tell Ed and Conan its just one side of the story.  Cheesy

http://freebeacon.com/blog/bicyclists-are-terrible/

Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 07:07:20 am »

Guido, you should ride with me sometime.

I saw that piece some time ago. The officer did indeed screw up by stepping out in front of a group of cyclists. Cops get hurt doing that and in a group ride, those in back can't see him. A sudden, unexpected change in speed or direction can cause collisions, too.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 09:06:02 am »

I’m going to start trolling 111th and ride right in the middle of the road  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 10:38:06 am »

I’m going to start trolling 111th and ride right in the middle of the road  Grin

Would you rather get hit by a car, SUV, or pickup?  No arrangements necessary.  It will happen.

Cheesy

Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 11:57:26 am »

Contrary to popular belief, getting hit from behind is comparatively rare as it comprises about 8% of all crashes, and the majority are at night with unlit cyclists. If I remember right, about 60% of crashes occur at int err sections when someone fails to yield, and fault is about evenly divided btw cyclists and motorists. Riding in the middle of a lane that's too narrow to share safely side by side with a motor vehicle (almost all Tulsa streets) makes a bicyclist more visible and forces motorists to wait until it's safe to pass.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 12:03:33 pm »

Would you rather get hit by a car, SUV, or pickup?  No arrangements necessary.  It will happen.

Cheesy

I’m holding out for a Caterpillar D-9

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org