A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 09:24:13 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COX is raising their rates. Hasn't even been a year since the last hike  (Read 13332 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 09:26:15 am »

This is why my Broadband from them went up $6 Dollars. I used to gripe about $21 Dollar AOL dial up when it was $9 Dollars for People PC.
But at least I had a choice. Windstream Broadband is terrible where I live. 3 Meg max. I was getting 18 to 28 Meg with Cox right up to last month and then all of the sudden it has dropped to 6 to 10 Meg with a cost increase. I have been told that I am supposed to be getting 25 Meg but that is not even close to happening.
This is on the new statement~

We continue our commitment to deliver great internet service with the speed you need and "free"features such as cloud storage and Cox Security Suite Plus. Due to the rising costs of "doing business" our rate for Preferred Internet service will increase to $60.99 effective with this bill statement. We appreciate you choosing Cox services and will always do our"best"to deliver the service and value you expect.

But on the flip side of the bill. They are saying that a modem upgrade is the key to taking advantage of your new even"FASTER" internet speeds.The DOCSIS 3.0 technology. At a cost of $129.99 or get this. $6.99 a Month rental. It has built in WIFi. Woopty Smoot! I have a $90.00 gaming router the kids just had to have. So I don't need their wireless modem and of course they don't offer the new DOCSIS 3.0 without it.
So what kind of Smoot Turd are they spreading? Catch 22 or 3.0 DOCSIS.......

http://news.yahoo.com/cable-companies-may-finally-hearing-cord-cutters-footsteps-040017686.html

UPDATE: They do have a non WIFI modem but again. I have to purchase it and it is $89.99. Looks like the boy's will have to pony up some dough.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:50:59 am by DolfanBob » Logged

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 01:58:15 pm »

In their defense, when DOCSIS 3 came out, George Bush was president, 802.11g was the fastest wireless standard and no-one went downtown. We've since had 802.11n and 802.11ac. Getting these faster speeds has required different hardware, as DolfanBob mentioned. The requirement for modem upgrade isn't a nonsense Cox requirement, it's needed for the higher speeds and new technologies.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 02:01:08 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XC6GJ0/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:49 pm »

Hmm. Will they activate this unit or give me a boatload of Smoot that it's not their authorized equipment?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 02:39:47 pm »

Hmm. Will they activate this unit or give me a boatload of Smoot that it's not their authorized equipment?

Nope.  As a matter of fact, if you put a modem on their network that isn't immediately recognized, it takes you to a page to register the modem.  SB6121 is definitely on their list of authorized equipment.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 03:51:57 pm »

Nope.  As a matter of fact, if you put a modem on their network that isn't immediately recognized, it takes you to a page to register the modem.  SB6121 is definitely on their list of authorized equipment.

Thank you for the info. I already ordered it.

saintnicster
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 10:23:40 pm »

Full list of supported modems http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=%7Bb2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000%7D
TeeDub
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:58 pm »

Strange...   They called me up a couple of years ago and demanded that I trade my old Surfboard modem in for a new one for free.   Just lucky I guess.

As for their service, maybe you have a neighbor that would like to share?    (Or maybe you have one that shares already and doesn't know it?)   Maybe if you threaten to leave they will cut your bill?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:32 am »

Strange...   They called me up a couple of years ago and demanded that I trade my old Surfboard modem in for a new one for free.   Just lucky I guess.

As for their service, maybe you have a neighbor that would like to share?    (Or maybe you have one that shares already and doesn't know it?)   Maybe if you threaten to leave they will cut your bill?

Put it on your calendar to threaten to leave every 6 months.   It'll keep your bill nice and low.  Works with all carriers. I think it's been at least 10 years since we have paid for HBO, Cinemax or other premiums.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
saintnicster
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 01:53:36 pm »

Noticed today that Cox injected a bit of HTML into a webpage saying that I should really upgrade my cable modem to one that is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant.  It was weird, I'll be sure to take a screenshot the next time it shows up.

I did realize, though, that even though I'm on the "preferred" tier, my costs didn't go up.

My best guess is that it was because they had me sign up for a dinky little "bundle" a few months ago.  It added the Cox TV Starter tier (basically local channels) for free for a year, and even came with no installation costs.  There wasn't supposed to be a cancellation fee, either.  Even the person who did the cold call was confused as to why they would be offering me a bundle like this.
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 09:41:06 pm »

Put it on your calendar to threaten to leave every 6 months.   It'll keep your bill nice and low.  Works with all carriers. I think it's been at least 10 years since we have paid for HBO, Cinemax or other premiums.

Yup...this is exactly what I do. Ask to speak with someone in the loyalty/retention department.

Forget trying to navigate the Cox website...it's a nightmare.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 09:14:59 am »

I received the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem yesterday and it was a simple hook up and replace procedure. I am happy to say. Once again you my TNF friends came through. My children are now enjoying 30 meg downloads.
I really have no problem paying for what I am supposed to be getting. Thanks again for your help.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 09:26:55 am »

logged into my billpay yesterday and noticed that my Cox payment hadn't been automatically been paid.
It was 10 days past-due.   ( I had put a cap on the amount to automatically pay and the rate increase pushed it over. )
nice to not receive any paper or electronic notice.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 09:46:27 am »

logged into my billpay yesterday and noticed that my Cox payment hadn't been automatically been paid.
It was 10 days past-due.   ( I had put a cap on the amount to automatically pay and the rate increase pushed it over. )
nice to not receive any paper or electronic notice.

I'm a old fart(never thought I'd say that)I still fire off checks. Keeps the bank operating and a mail carrier happy. Not to mention the company still has to have a processing person for the payment. It's a win win all the way around.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 11:43:09 am »

I'm a old fart(never thought I'd say that)I still fire off checks. Keeps the bank operating and a mail carrier happy. Not to mention the company still has to have a processing person for the payment. It's a win win all the way around.

Old farts forever!

I still write checks too.  I "log on to my billpay" by opening my checkbook and looking at the register. 

You guys that have gone paperless, how do you keep a record of your transactions in case the bank computer get corrupted?  I am thinking of 5-1/4 floppies, 3-1/2 floppies etc.  At least DVD units can still read CDs.  What is the next thing you won't be able access?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org