A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 07:26:10 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COX is raising their rates. Hasn't even been a year since the last hike  (Read 13316 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 01:16:59 pm »

Old farts forever!

I still write checks too.  I "log on to my billpay" by opening my checkbook and looking at the register. 

You guys that have gone paperless, how do you keep a record of your transactions in case the bank computer get corrupted?  I am thinking of 5-1/4 floppies, 3-1/2 floppies etc.  At least DVD units can still read CDs.  What is the next thing you won't be able access?

I still download statements as PDF files to my PC (more likely, Google Drive, since I can open them on any device that I use that has access to it..namely my tablet, phone, etc).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 01:27:37 pm »

I still download statements as PDF files to my PC (more likely, Google Drive, since I can open them on any device that I use that has access to it..namely my tablet, phone, etc).

I have stuff around here that my dad stored on 5-1/4 and 3-1/2 floppies, 3-1/2 super floppies and backed up on a small tape drive which is mostly inaccessible now.  I think I've seen a USB 3-1/2 FDD is available.  Fortunately, most of dad's computer records are not terribly important.

I know paper copies can also be destroyed but I still have some important papers, like my military discharge (honorable), that I can still get easy access to nearly 40 years of technology not withstanding.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 01:33:37 pm »

I store everything in my brain. It is safe, affordable and works every time.

Uh...what was I talking about?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 01:43:56 pm »

I store everything in my brain. It is safe, affordable and works every time.

Uh...what was I talking about?

I think we were talking about recycling beer bottles.  Cheesy

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 02:02:18 pm »

Old farts forever!

I still write checks too.  I "log on to my billpay" by opening my checkbook and looking at the register. 

You guys that have gone paperless, how do you keep a record of your transactions in case the bank computer get corrupted?  I am thinking of 5-1/4 floppies, 3-1/2 floppies etc.  At least DVD units can still read CDs.  What is the next thing you won't be able access?

What's a register?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 02:07:57 pm »

What's a register?

It's that area of paper where you write in the check number, date, who it was to, how much it was for, add in deposits and keep a running balance.  Probably before your time.

I forgot to mention, it requires a manual writing device (pen, pencil) and the ability to manipulate it to form letters and numbers. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:09:47 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »

It's that area of paper where you write in the check number, date, who it was to, how much it was for, add in deposits and keep a running balance.  Probably before your time.

Not before my time.  Grin

Even "back in the day" I never used those things.  I can't recall the last time I acutally balanced a check book.  My mother was a banker, and it would drive her crazy that I never balanced my check book. But I came pretty close in my head, and always (Most of the time...) kept a running balance.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 02:57:03 pm »

Not before my time.  Grin

Even "back in the day" I never used those things.  I can't recall the last time I acutally balanced a check book.  My mother was a banker, and it would drive her crazy that I never balanced my check book. But I came pretty close in my head, and always (Most of the time...) kept a running balance.

I exclusively use the calculator on my phone as my Bank account registry. I don't care who I wrote it to because I buy duplicate checks. But my bottom line(even as small as it is)can't afford the ridiculous NSF charge that every Bank counts on.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 02:20:35 pm »

On the original topic...

Get rid of Cox, use ATT for internet (our neighborhood now has fiber optic--faster and cheaper than our old Cox plan), use a $10 antenna for over the air digital signals, buy a ROKU box (easy interface to watch online content to your TV), pay for Hulu Plus and Netflix (about $8 each/mo). If you watch shows on Hulu the commercial breaks last about a minute, so it's better than normal TV and you can watch them on demand (a day after they air on TV).  If you watch shows on Netflix, there are no commercials, but you'll usually be a "season behind" -- who cares?  It's just television.  You can also watch shows or movies on demand via Amazon prime, etc.  We can watch everything we want except ESPN.  But that's why god invented the neighborhood pub and gave them TVs in his intelligent design...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 02:35:11 pm »

On the original topic...

Get rid of Cox, use ATT for internet (our neighborhood now has fiber optic--faster and cheaper than our old Cox plan), use a $10 antenna for over the air digital signals, buy a ROKU box (easy interface to watch online content to your TV), pay for Hulu Plus and Netflix (about $8 each/mo). If you watch shows on Hulu the commercial breaks last about a minute, so it's better than normal TV and you can watch them on demand (a day after they air on TV).  If you watch shows on Netflix, there are no commercials, but you'll usually be a "season behind" -- who cares?  It's just television.  You can also watch shows or movies on demand via Amazon prime, etc.  We can watch everything we want except ESPN.  But that's why god invented the neighborhood pub and gave them TVs in his intelligent design...

That is the system we went to last spring. Its tough, because I love football and can't watch my beloved Sooners and NFL without sharing the experience in a pub. It works quite well but I found it necessary to upgrade the antenna to a RCA751 which arrives this week by UPS. Too many trees, mountains and buildings near downtown to get as many channels as I desire. We just use Netflix (hulu not worth it). The resolution however is better than my old Cox or U-verse systems and the monthly cost is ...$8.

"Its just Television..." So true.

onward...through the fog
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 06:24:18 pm »

On the original topic...

How is anyone going to keep up with the Kardashians that way?!

(cut the cord several years ago... don't miss it)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 08:11:49 pm »

On the original topic...

Get rid of Cox, use ATT for internet (our neighborhood now has fiber optic--faster and cheaper than our old Cox plan), use a $10 antenna for over the air digital signals, buy a ROKU box (easy interface to watch online content to your TV), pay for Hulu Plus and Netflix (about $8 each/mo). If you watch shows on Hulu the commercial breaks last about a minute, so it's better than normal TV and you can watch them on demand (a day after they air on TV).  If you watch shows on Netflix, there are no commercials, but you'll usually be a "season behind" -- who cares?  It's just television.  You can also watch shows or movies on demand via Amazon prime, etc.  We can watch everything we want except ESPN.  But that's why god invented the neighborhood pub and gave them TVs in his intelligent design...

So, you pay $30 to $50 per month for AT&T internet, then pay $8/month for hulu, $8/ for Netflix, $8/month for Amazon prime, and because you don't get ESPN you'll go to the neighborhood pub and have beers and risk getting Smooted because you are intoxicated in a bar. (Two beers and you are over the base limit, and if judged a trouble maker rooting loudly for your team)

So to spite Cox, you pay an average of $40/month for internet, and then almost the same amount in internet TV service, (is there a cost for Google TV?) and you don't get some of the channels you want, so you go and pay for beer and the cable service at a pub. Do you break even? Going to a pub to watch a game your going to spend $15 to $30 per weekend for college/pro football games.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:16:44 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 08:18:47 pm »

So, you pay $30 to $50 per month for AT&T internet, then pay $8/month for hulu, $8/ for Netflix, $8/month for Amazon prime, and because you don't get ESPN you'll go to the neighborhood pub and have beers and risk getting Smooted because you are intoxicated in a bar. (Two beers and you are over the base limit, and if judged a trouble maker rooting loudly for your team)

So to spite Cox, you pay an average of $40/month for internet, and then almost the same amount in internet TV service, (is there a cost for Google TV?) and you don't get some of the channels you want, so you go and pay for beer and the cable service at a pub. Do you break even?

Like you don't pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix (Amazon is basically a smaller version of Amazon, plus Downton Abbey) and keep in mind that he is talking about watching on demand. To have internet, those channels and DVR service is roughly $100/mo from any provider. He is advocating spending about $56/mo. That means if you spend less than $528 a year on refreshments at the sports bar, he is doing better than breaking even.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 08:32:52 pm »

Like you don't pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix (Amazon is basically a smaller version of Amazon, plus Downton Abbey) and keep in mind that he is talking about watching on demand. To have internet, those channels and DVR service is roughly $100/mo from any provider. He is advocating spending about $56/mo. That means if you spend less than $528 a year on refreshments at the sports bar, he is doing better than breaking even.

I was being partly tongue in cheek, but at less than $528/year in any pub/sports bar is one beer plus tip per week.

I have looked at it for my own use, and I would (just me, YMMV, professional driver on a closed course) would rather do a bundle from Cox of TV-HD-DVR/Phone/Internet for ~$110 per month instead of a piecemeal system and be able to watch the sports that I want from the comfort of my own couch.

Actually Ponder said
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:38:59 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 10:42:38 am »

Good for COX I guess. I wonder if the employees got a big raise?

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org