A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 01:27:10 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a House in the Tulsa Area  (Read 6053 times)
cindycat
Tourist

« on: January 09, 2014, 10:23:06 pm »

We lived in OKC for 40+ years, then moved to Washington state for eight years. We spent those eight years in an area of small towns and we never want to live that way again. Now we're back in the OKC area but can't find the right house. Our next choice is Tulsa but we know very little about it. We're looking for a house on 2 -5 acres, in a neighborhood, preferably built before 2000. We don't like the open kitchen concept and my husband would like to have some remodeling projects. Before we contact a realtor, we'd like to drive around the area a bit. Can you give us some suggestions about Tulsa and the suburbs that might meet our needs?   Thanks.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:35:19 pm »

You can use something like Zillow to search for some of these factors. There are many homes in east tulsa (by that I mean east of downtown, it's not an official area name) with houses built before 2,000 on small acreage. West of downtown there are also some good homes matching that criteria. Midtown (geographically close to downtown, to the south and east) and North Tulsa (Just North of HW I-244) are mostly smaller lots. South Tulsa, and the surrounding communities have a lot of standard suburban developments with little space between neighbors. The further you go outside the city in any direction, lot sizes increase.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:01 pm »

We lived in OKC for 40+ years, then moved to Washington state for eight years. We spent those eight years in an area of small towns and we never want to live that way again. Now we're back in the OKC area but can't find the right house. Our next choice is Tulsa but we know very little about it. We're looking for a house on 2 -5 acres, in a neighborhood, preferably built before 2000. We don't like the open kitchen concept and my husband would like to have some remodeling projects. Before we contact a realtor, we'd like to drive around the area a bit. Can you give us some suggestions about Tulsa and the suburbs that might meet our needs?   Thanks.

I hear people living near downtown and in midtown Tulsa really do not like people that lived in Oklahoma City for anywhere close to say, 40 years. They especially dislike people that also lived in Washington state. If I were you, I would look to the southern part of Tulsa--perhaps even Bixby to play it safe. Those folks I hear are very welcoming, compassionate, and really care about newcomers to the area.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »

Use Google Maps and look for the non-crowded places.  For reference, the lots in the NW corner of square mile just south of E 111th St S and east of Memorial are mostly a bit over 1 acre.
http://goo.gl/maps/ADKhu

Be sure to check flood zones.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:33 am »

We lived in OKC for 40+ years, then moved to Washington state for eight years. We spent those eight years in an area of small towns and we never want to live that way again. Now we're back in the OKC area but can't find the right house. Our next choice is Tulsa but we know very little about it. We're looking for a house on 2 -5 acres, in a neighborhood, preferably built before 2000. We don't like the open kitchen concept and my husband would like to have some remodeling projects. Before we contact a realtor, we'd like to drive around the area a bit. Can you give us some suggestions about Tulsa and the suburbs that might meet our needs?   Thanks.

Tulsa - 22nd street to about 25th from Sheridan to Memorial.  Smaller acreages - only about 1 to 1.5, but right in town.

If you want a McMansion, go south.  With all the attendant traffic issues.  Along highway 75, south of Jenks - both sides of highway.  Bixby, Jenks, Glenpool.  Too much commotion for me.

Want more "comfortable" housing, that will likely need some project work, there is a pretty wide area to the north that is pretty good with a wide variety of places.  Looking at a map, create a 'zone' in your mind's eye with highway 75 on the west.  169 on the east.  86th street north on the south side, and highway 60 on the north.  Take the lower right hand corner a little further east than 169, but no further east than Claremore (Garth Brooks is out that way.)...not a McMansion - his is a real mansion!!  This 'box' has a lot to choose from with literally something for anyone.

Owasso has a very good hospital (St. Johns) so you can be close to that in that zone.  Lots of other shopping opportunities.  Only thing is not much in the way of movie theaters.  Tulsa is very easy access from this area...generally easier than from the same distance to the south.

I spent time in Turley when young, and it was kind of ragged.  Still is from what I can see now.

Skiatook and Oologah have nice lakes very close by.  If you look at the strip east of 169 from Oologah to the north about 15 miles, keep in mind it is sitting on a rock - the dirt is very shallow making gardening/farming/landscaping more problematic.

And water wells in northeast OK are not viable, so will have to do rural water district - they are very good.  Rogers county has pretty good fire department around Oologah area.  Don't know about Washington county.  Building in Rogers county seems to be reasonable.

The strip of acreages/housing on either side of highway 75 from Skiatook to Bartlesville is growing fast, with lots of McMansion stuff going on.  Not much to my tastes, but someone likes them...makes the prices high.

If you want rocky, kind of wooded stuff, out around Mannford at Keystone has some interesting places.  I want more gardening stuff, so not for me.

Welcome to Tulsa.  You are gonna like it better than OKC.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:08:30 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Chacha
Tourist

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:58:49 am »

I have a house that we will be selling in a few months.  It sits on about 1.5 acres and is about 3 miles from Tulsa Hills.  It is in Creek County and Jenks school district.  Most of the houses are 1-2 acre lots in the subdivision.  Our daughter graduates from Jenks this year and we already purchased another property to move to once she graduates.  The house was built in 1979 and has ~1900-2000 square feet. 
rebound
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:02:39 am »

...We're looking for a house on 2 -5 acres, in a neighborhood, preferably built before 2000. We don't like the open kitchen concept and my husband would like to have some remodeling projects...

I moved back to the Tulsa area about 10 years ago from the Dallas area and went through the same kind of logic you are now.   With the exception of the open kitchen concept (which I like), your criteria are very similar.  In short, if you are set on the minimum of two acres you are going to be hard-pressed to find any options within Tulsa-proper unless you have some fairly deep pockets.  Anything actually in Tulsa in a decent neighborhood on a two-acre lot will be fairly pricey.  I just did a quick Realtor.com search with some of those criteria, and just about all of the surrounding cities/areas do have some houses that look like they might be options for you.  But it depends upon how close you want to be to "town", and what that means to you.  

If you have read many of the topic entries on this forum, you may have noticed that the various area representatives like to jab each other quite a bit and promote their area over the others.  And while there are great places to live in all parts of the Tulsa metro, there are significant differences in style (primarily based on direction and distance from downtown) between the various abutting burgs, and you should look first at those general criteria and how they best fit what you are looking for.  After you get a feel for direction and style, there should be several options within that sector to look at.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 10:33:11 am »

You may be interested in looking south of Glenpool in the Mounds area.

The older areas of Owasso, Broken Arrow, Bixby, Mannford, and Sand Springs (1950's-1970's) are more likely to have the space and type kitchen your desire.

Homes are more expensive here than OKC. We have more ego.

onward...through the fog
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 11:04:14 am »

Looking at the current development flow, Glenpool is about the best investment you can make to get the property you are seeking.  Everything there is appreciating and it's a very nice community with good access to just about anywhere in Tulsa.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:30 am »

Looking at the current development flow, Glenpool is about the best investment you can make to get the property you are seeking.  Everything there is appreciating and it's a very nice community with good access to just about anywhere in Tulsa.

As long as you overlook their tremendous debt. Wink Best to be just outside their taxable area.

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:55:07 am »

Homes are more expensive here than OKC. We have more ego GUIDO.

fixed that.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 12:23:05 pm »

fixed that.

Really need a GIF of you ringing a cowbell.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 01:41:45 pm »

I hear people living near downtown and in midtown Tulsa really do not like people that lived in Oklahoma City for anywhere close to say, 40 years. They especially dislike people that also lived in Washington state. If I were you, I would look to the southern part of Tulsa--perhaps even Bixby to play it safe. Those folks I hear are very welcoming, compassionate, and really care about newcomers to the area.

Au Contraire dear Guido.  We love it when people finally realize the tragic err of their ways, come to their senses and move into the lovely utopia that is Downtown/Mid-town Tulsa.  Grin

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »

We lived in OKC for 40+ years, then moved to Washington state for eight years. We spent those eight years in an area of small towns and we never want to live that way again. Now we're back in the OKC area but can't find the right house. Our next choice is Tulsa but we know very little about it. We're looking for a house on 2 -5 acres, in a neighborhood, preferably built before 2000. We don't like the open kitchen concept and my husband would like to have some remodeling projects. Before we contact a realtor, we'd like to drive around the area a bit. Can you give us some suggestions about Tulsa and the suburbs that might meet our needs?   Thanks.

I mentioned the mid Tulsa area of Johannson Acres around 23rd and Memorial and that they are only about 1 to 1.5 acres...  Then I had a thought... Buy two adjacent, or back to back, bulldoze one of the houses, and voila'...instant 2+ acres.  And at least one of them is likely to be nice enough to live in, but have remodeling opportunities, too.  Nice neighborhood, but the surrounding areas somewhat in decline...there has been little or no price appreciation in the last 10 years.

Have you heard anything hear yet that sounds at all rational/reasonable compared to your expectations (yeah, I know...it's a long shot asking this crew)??  Had the chance to drive around any yet?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 03:11:24 pm »

I mentioned the mid Tulsa area of Johannson Acres around 23rd and Memorial and that they are only about 1 to 1.5 acres...  Then I had a thought... Buy two adjacent, or back to back, bulldoze one of the houses, and voila'...instant 2+ acres.  And at least one of them is likely to be nice enough to live in, but have remodeling opportunities, too.  Nice neighborhood, but the surrounding areas somewhat in decline...there has been little or no price appreciation in the last 10 years.

Have you heard anything hear yet that sounds at all rational/reasonable compared to your expectations (yeah, I know...it's a long shot asking this crew)??  Had the chance to drive around any yet?

Too few houses in Johanssen which make the odds pretty slim you would ever have adjacent properties for sale at the same time.  MC and I have been looking for something bigger and put in an offer on one we felt was over-improved for the area.  Needless to say, we are still looking.  There is one which just took a price cut to $120K which is very cheap for that ‘hood but they’ve done some funky interior improvements and it backs up directly to a school which is an issue for some folk.

Johansen is actually only comprised of 25th Place and 24th St. between Sheridan and Memorial which makes comparable sales a real biznitch in determining the “true” value of a property in there since the immediate housing areas to the north and south are generally more tract type homes on 8000-9000 square foot lots.  It’s a very neat and unusual neighborhood for sure.  I wish we could have bought the one house for what it should be worth, but I’m not obligated to pay too much for a property when the previous owner over-improved it.

We are putting an offer in on a house in Wedgewood, which is another unique area with more custom builts on larger lots rather than tract housing.  If that goes through, we will be looking to rent out our Mid-Century Lortondale house in the near future if anyone knows of someone looking for a nice house to rent in mid-town.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org