A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 03:29:48 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uhhh....ooops?  (Read 11197 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 04:52:16 pm »

Yep, sounds like ATC dropped the ball also.

Is that one of the towers that was outsourced a couple of years ago? Is it tower control from Mumbai?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 05:04:33 pm »

Is that one of the towers that was outsourced a couple of years ago? Is it tower control from Mumbai?

Outsourcing doesn't work quite that way in the US for ATC.  I'm not sure though as the new Branson airport is pretty new (October 2008).

Looking at the airnav page for that airport, it doesn't appear to be an outsourced tower; as most of those would be denoted as such in the NOTAMs.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBBG

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »

A friend of mine said "Riverside better get ready"...LOL.

Riverside would be a piece of cake, 1L/19R is 5102 long.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 06:47:12 pm »

I watched the takeoff on CNN.  Seemed very normal.

Good, considering an aborted take-off was probably not a real option.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 07:10:08 pm »

Outsourcing doesn't work quite that way in the US for ATC.  I'm not sure though as the new Branson airport is pretty new (October 2008).

Looking at the airnav page for that airport, it doesn't appear to be an outsourced tower; as most of those would be denoted as such in the NOTAMs.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBBG

Oh, I know. It was just a cheap outsourcing joke.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:28 pm »

It landed here at 3:33pm.  A friend of mine said "Riverside better get ready"...LOL.

Riverside should be able to handle it....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:49 pm »

Riverside should be able to handle it....

Length-wise, sure.  Not sure about load though.  Although Riverside is technically a reliever airport for TUL.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 11:28:15 pm »

Length-wise, sure.  Not sure about load though.  Although Riverside is technically a reliever airport for TUL.

Maybe Red can help us here, but it seems to me like sometime in the deep, distant past, there were 'demonstration' landings there of larger planes, like the 737.  Seems like maybe a 727 came there once???

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 11:37:23 pm »

I'm just waiting for one of the many Beavis and Butthead moments from this thread.  Won't be from me, but well...

rdj
City Father

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 08:20:26 am »

How many clues did they miss they were at the wrong airport?  The alignment at Taney is 14/32, it’s 12/30 at Branson.  They should have been on with Springfield approach and/or Branson tower at that time of day.  You’d think someone at either Springfield or Branson would have noticed they were not on target.  Tower operator would have noticed they didn’t have a visual.  At least I’m assuming the tower at Branson is staffed early evening.

A story I read stated the Branson airport staff left about an hour prior to the plane landing.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:47 am »

A story I read stated the Branson airport staff left about an hour prior to the plane landing.

Interesting.  Airnav says they're on duty 0700-2100 (non pilots/non military would know that as 7AM to 9PM).  The plane landed at 6:11PM.  Not sure why they would leave at 5pm.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 08:53:36 am »

Yep, sounds like ATC dropped the ball also.

All Things Considered??  What did they have to do with it...??

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 09:06:38 am »

Maybe Red can help us here, but it seems to me like sometime in the deep, distant past, there were 'demonstration' landings there of larger planes, like the 737.  Seems like maybe a 727 came there once???

You are correct.  When Roger Hardesty donated his 727 to Tulsa Tech, they flew it from TUL to RVS for it’s final destination.  That was back in the mid 1990’s.

There’s also been some large war birds come in and out of RVS.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:08 am »

You are correct.  When Roger Hardesty donated his 727 to Tulsa Tech, they flew it from TUL to RVS for it’s final destination.  That was back in the mid 1990’s.

There’s also been some large war birds come in and out of RVS.

I go watch the B-17s every chance I get...such a beautiful airplane!!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 09:58:40 am »

I go watch the B-17s every chance I get...such a beautiful airplane!!

The CAF has flown FiFi, a B-29, in a few times that I’m aware of.  I believe she is one of the two last flying B-29’s left.

Edit: Quick check shows she is the last B-29 still flying though there’s another, “Doc" being restored in Wichita.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:01:54 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org