A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 08:23:12 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I-44 @ Riverside Question (Art Deco Light Towers)  (Read 10927 times)
greenmymac
Tourist

« on: February 23, 2014, 11:33:12 am »

I tried searching but couldn't find anything, but does anyone know what they are installing at I-44 & Riverside? So far its just two tall metal type structures on both sides of the highway..

any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:46:03 pm by sgrizzle » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:49:24 am »

I tried searching but couldn't find anything, but does anyone know what they are installing at I-44 & Riverside? So far its just two tall metal type structures on both sides of the highway..

any ideas?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/art-towers-due-for-i--at-river/article_513ed8a4-1037-5ea8-acfe-2d870bce11b0.html?_dc=713648669654.5034

In case you can't see that from the link, here's the story text.

Art towers due for I-44 at river

The dual 60-foot monuments will be funded privately, Step Up Tulsa members are told.'

The Interstate 44 expansion through Tulsa will include a $5 million beautification project with an art deco design and two 60-foot towers that will act as a gateway to the city, according to plans announced Wednesday.

The announcement was one of several made by Tulsa philanthropic leaders at a Step Up Tulsa meeting.

Step Up Tulsa, founded in 2005, is an initiative to give the public a unified voice to bring about change in Tulsa, working with the Funders Roundtable — a network of the region's largest grantmaking foundations — and the Tulsa Community Foundation.

The meeting also included several progress reports, speeches by community leaders, including Mayor Kathy Taylor, and a panel discussion on health care with Tulsa and state leaders.

Phil Lakin, executive director of the Tulsa Community Foundation, spoke at the meeting about the details of an art deco design plan for key intersections of the I-44 project.

The plan is to be officially announced next week.

Two monuments 60 feet tall will flank I-44 from the Riverside Parkway median to act as a gateway to introduce Tulsa to eastbound drivers, he said.

Landscaping and art deco design on the highway and sound-reduction walls are planned at I-44's intersections with Riverside Drive and Peoria, Lewis and Harvard avenues.

The enhancements will reflect similar highway beautification efforts in Dallas, Phoenix and Santa Fe, N.M., Lakin said.

"It has life, and it's something we can be proud of," he said.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation and the George Kaiser Family Foundation have each pledged about $1.5 million to the project, and the Tulsa Community Foundation will help raise the rest of the roughly $5 million needed, Lakin said.

He also announced a $500,000 fund to enforce the city's sign administration program, which was created in 2001 to regulate outdoor advertising but has not been enforced.

The fund will allow for the hiring of city employees to enforce sign regulations for five years, after which time the city would pay their salaries, Lakin said.

David Greer, executive director of the University of Tulsa's Institute for Information Security, announced a partnership between the city and TU to create the Oklahoma Innovation Institute, which will work with professionals to patent and commercialize ideas that are found through research.

Sam Combs, co-chairman of Step Up Tulsa, said the group was formed "to identify the areas that Tulsa should focus on in the future."

"It's impressive what Tulsa has done in three short years," he said. "There is a commitment and a great amount of energy in the city."

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
In_Tulsa
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »

Or replace the bridge with one like this!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Obukhovsky_Bridge
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:29:25 pm »

Or replace the bridge with one like this!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Obukhovsky_Bridge

Don't hold your breath waiting.

TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:16 am »

Here's a rendering. Two are planned for Riverside. Four are planned for Lewis once it's completed.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:12:32 pm »

Here's a rendering. Two are planned for Riverside. Four are planned for Lewis once it's completed.

The mountains in the background were too cost prohibitive.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:29:37 pm »

The mountains in the background were too cost prohibitive.

Hey, they weren't for Sochi, apparently!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:46 am »

So any guesses on which Southern suburb's cheerleaders are the first to hit that tower? Jenks? Bixby? Maybe even throw in Glenpool as a longshot?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 09:55:47 am »

The north side tower is coming along:

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 09:56:52 am »

Towers are the new hotness.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:47 am »

Yeah, they've had that freaking left lane North bound closed for a long time.

It's been closed so long that people are actually merging ahead of time and not cutting each other off.  It's madness.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:32 am »

It's been closed so long that people are actually merging ahead of time and not cutting each other off.  It's madness.

I call BS, this is Tulsa after all.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 10:22:11 am »

I call BS, this is Tulsa after all.

I smile you not.  Saw it happen
JFR
Tourist

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 08:45:37 am »

Does anyone have any idea why one tower (north one on Riverside) is lighted with blue lights but not the other one across from it?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 09:09:56 am »

Does anyone have any idea why one tower (north one on Riverside) is lighted with blue lights but not the other one across from it?

Tulsa's lighting history abounds with questions such as these.

IE downtown bridge lighting, Expo center neon lighting, highway/street lighting, park lighting, Owasso Cheerleader fountain lighting.

Welcome to the forum.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org