A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 07:20:56 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new Donut Shop Franchise idea  (Read 7582 times)
nycnikato
Tourist

« on: May 13, 2014, 09:37:09 pm »

Without giving too much away, We have developed a donut shop idea that focuses on children. This idea is so different that it created a unique market Niche that Kids don't  know that they would like because the have never seen it before. I have a donut shop partner, and he is willing to rebrand his shops and put all of his years of donut making skill into the project, but he is not willing to  to put together any funds to help the project take off . Does anyone have any ideas of how to obtain funding ? My Personal credit is bad, and my partner does not want to contribute more than a willingness to change branding,  his time, skill, and goodwill
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:42:35 pm »

Without giving too much away, We have developed a donut shop idea that focuses on children. This idea is so different that it created a unique market Niche that Kids don't  know that they would like because the have never seen it before. I have a donut shop partner, and he is willing to rebrand his shops and put all of his years of donut making skill into the project, but he is not willing to  to put together any funds to help the project take off . Does anyone have any ideas of how to obtain funding ? My Personal credit is bad, and my partner does not want to contribute more than a willingness to change branding,  his time, skill, and goodwill

You can get a business loan or investors if you have a solid business plan.

Your friend sounds like he might be a bad partner. The arrangement sounds like he wants you to remodel his shop on your dime and if it fails, he has no risk and got all of the rewards.

Not knowing what your idea is, I would suggest coming up with a single location or mobile location idea to try it out and grow organically.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:51:03 pm »

Is there a donut food truck in Tulsa?  If not there is your niche and a good place to try out your donuts before committing to a physical location.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 12:54:32 pm »

Is there a donut food truck in Tulsa?  If not there is your niche and a good place to try out your donuts before committing to a physical location.

Just don't park near JJs and you should be ok.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 12:59:23 pm »

Is there a donut food truck in Tulsa? 

My slogan would be, "Take a Flying Leap at a Rolling Donut".

Power is nothing till you use it.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »

How many donut eaters can actually leap?  Much less move fast enough to catch anything rolling...    Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 01:02:12 pm »

Takes money and/or credit.  They appear to have neither.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheAnsonia
Citizen

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 01:04:31 pm »

There's a gourmet donut food truck around town. https://www.facebook.com/lickyourlipsminidonuts
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »

Mini donuts are like baby donuts. I guess it is like veal where you kill them while they are young.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 01:38:08 pm »

Mini donuts are like baby donuts. I guess it is like veal where you kill them while they are young.

So the rogue ones become bagels when they grow up?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 02:49:13 pm »

So would Cheerios be donut seeds?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
BKDotCom
City Father

Re:
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:34 pm »

So would Cheerios be donut seeds?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Fruit Loops
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 08:58:28 pm »

That's really funny....  I'm gonna 'steal' it and start using that one!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 07:03:43 am »

You can get a business loan or investors if you have a solid business plan.

Your friend sounds like he might be a bad partner. The arrangement sounds like he wants you to remodel his shop on your dime and if it fails, he has no risk and got all of the rewards.

Not knowing what your idea is, I would suggest coming up with a single location or mobile location idea to try it out and grow organically.

Grizz is correct.  A business plan written by someone with experience in the restaurant industry is the best way to get funding.  In most cases your personal credit is not as important as you (and any partner's) commitment to the concept.  It sounds like the "branding" is the primary funding requirement.  If this is the case, I would contact a well known restaurant branding firm and have them provide a preliminary proposal with cost estimates for the A-Z project.  If they have good experience in restaurant and QSR industry they will also be happy to help you develop, edit, or improve your business plan.  If they deem your idea a good one, they will likely want to be a participant (and in many cases a minority partner).

The marketing quote you obtain from them for your business plan needs to include estimates for:
Branding (Logo and graphic standard development)
Product Imagery (photography, illustration, etc.)
Product Packaging (if any)
General Marketing Campaign-with an outline of marketing channels and initial research (basic demographic and focus group research)

Do not just go to the cheapest firm.  Make sure that they have a long history of successful food marketing, and a stable of long term food and QSR clients.  The bank/investor(s) is not going to be as concerned for the amount of money that you ask for as they are for how committed to developing a successful concept you are.  If your marketing partner is inexperienced in this realm, or has a track record of restaurants that no longer exist, or never really got off the ground, the investor will be far less likely to participate.

Tulsa has long been a popular testing ground for new restaurant concepts, and we have quite a population of bankers and VC investors willing to play with new ideas. I would echo what Grizz said about your partner though. There needs to be a solid commitment from everyone involved.  A good business plan will spell out that commitment, and if your partner is not willing to live up to the letter of that plan, you should seek a different partner.  Your investor will be able to smell whether or not your partner is a participant or just along for the ride.

Just a thought, Daylight Donuts offers a really inexpensive franchise program that gives members the ability to create, market, and brand their individual operations however they wish (within reason).  You may want to do your own thing.  Speaking from experience, working with partners, and family is difficult at best.  Especially if this guy has a successful operation already.  The changes you both make will have an impact on business and if that impact is negative (even just for the short-term while you get things going), you may have a fight on your hands.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:38:01 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 08:25:14 am »

Make sure that they have a long history of successful food marketing, and a stable of long term food and QSR clients.  The bank/investor(s) is not going to be as concerned for the amount of money that you ask for as they are for how committed to developing a successful concept you are.  If your marketing partner is inexperienced in this realm, or has a track record of restaurants that no longer exist, or never really got off the ground, the investor will be far less likely to participate.

Let’s see, that would rule out Beautiful Brands, I believe.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org