A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 11:25:28 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How big is corporate Welfare in Oklahoma?  (Read 15998 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: June 23, 2015, 04:54:08 pm »

I heard a report on the radio this morning about the myriad of "incentives" that divert various tax payments to corporations. The news piece happened to focus on companies who get interest free "loans" and then divert employee income tax withholdings to pay back the "loans" without the knowledge or consent of anyone except some economic development guy in OKC (State gives money to company, company pays state back with tax revenue its employees are legally required to pay to the state anyway).

But it started me thinking about what all incentives are out there, how we got into this arms race, and where Oklahoma stands.

Now, that's an economic'c thesis. SO I narrowed my focus a good bit. But first I wondered into a few specific beneficiaries that made me laugh. Holly Corp got $1.6mil in manufacturing development incentives for, presumably, adding to their refinery in Tulsa as opposed to adding to their non-existent refinery in Arkansas. In 2013 (last year I could find data) the ownership group of the Thunder received $3,600,000, to help offset the cost of billionaires employing millionaires to bounce an orange ball. And of course Macy's will be getting a TIF worth $8.75mil, a state Manufacturers Tax Exemption worth $8.5mil, $1.5mil from the governors slush fund, $500k in infrastructure from ODOT, matched by about $500k from Tulsa County, a .85% sales tax exemption ($400k), $500k from Owasso, and a 5% payroll rebate for a decade for whatever qualifies for quality jobs.  What are we getting for ~$30mil in handouts?

- Somewhere between 1500 and 5000 jobs, depending on the press release. The vast, vast, VAST majority will be part time warehouse associates and seasonal workers.
- A commitment to hire 367 full times employees
- According to Glassdoor.com, the average seasonal worker at a Macy's Warehouse makes $10.50 an hour. The average Warehouse Associate makes $12.00 an hour.

Here is an 87 page manual for the State level kick backs (doesn't county City, County, or Tribal):

It very well may be that by paying Macy's millions to move here, we will attract thousands of employees who are then eligible for benefit programs from the State of Oklahoma. That seems like a potentially bad investment. So why do we do it?

Well, we are told we do it because everyone else does it. TEXAS DOES IT! SO WE HAVE TO TOO! And yes, Texas does do it. They do it more in overall dollar terms than anyone else. Texas gives out $19 Billion a year in incentives. They attract many jobs by doing so. Unfortunately, they have also created more minimum wage jobs than anywhere else and have sunk to #3 in the nation for low paying jobs and #11 on citizens living below poverty. It has also left the state broke, so they cut education in order to continue the handouts.

Tax incentives are a zero sum game. They do not "create" any jobs. They merely move them around. Whirlpool to Tulsa. Citgo to Houston. Etc. The net result is tax money gathered from citizens and given to various companies. Wealth transfer from the less affluent, to the more affluent. The entire process should be wound down like the nuclear standoff of the cold war. But until that happens, how does Oklahoma stack up?

Using 2012 numbers, which are the most reliable I could find for all three criteria:
- The United States of America saw $80 BILLION in taxpayer money filtered to companies per year. That accounts for 0.47% of national GDP.

- Texas paid out $19 Bil in economic incentives. Accounting for 1.3% of economic activity in the state of Texas.  This represents nearly 18% of government "spending" (foregoing revenue is the same as spending money).

- Oklahoma handed $2.19 Bil over to companies.  Accounting for 1.1% of all economic activity in the state of Oklahoma. Representing 31% of all government "spending." (in a budget of $7BIL)

https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma/2012/12/03/oklahoma-governments-pay-2-19-billion-a-year-to-incentivize-private-companies/
https://bivisual.cpa.texas.gov/QvAJAXZfc/OpenDocNoToolbar.htm?document=Documents%2FTR_Master_UI.qvw&host=QVS%40daupswap80&anonymous=true&select=LB00,03&sheet=SH27

Now, I'm happy to have someone post better numbers. There are all kinds of numbers all over the place for various fiscal years etc. But the fact is the pace is accelerating and, as these are long term programs, the costs are exponential. There is no data to tell us if we are getting a return on our investment (ignoring the zero sum game). Corporate subsidies are now a bigger industry in Oklahoma than hunting, fishing, forestry and agriculture combined. While it is tiny compared to our largest industry (government, accounting for nearly 19% of GDP), handouts are still a huge part of our economy.

Why is our "small government" and "no welfare" leadership in Oklahoma City just going along for the ride? Free market economy? Why is there not a multi-state compact trying to stop this crap from continuing? There is $80bil in tax revenue being transferred around by the government each year, as our infrastructure collapses and our educational system falls behind.

How many Oklahoma's realize that they $565 per year for each member of their family so Devon can make another billion next quarter?

/rant

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:53:09 pm »

good rant

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cbs
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:11:33 pm »

good rant
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:20:30 am »

I believe we are far better off spending that money (or really much less) helping to incubate new entrepreneurial ideas which might be a little beyond conventional thinking and the only thing they lack is conventional funding.

Think what Tulsa might look like if Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Jeff Bezos, Fred Smith, or Sam Walton had been Tulsa natives and committed to starting their company out here.  It doesn’t even have to be something that gets to that size. 

Help incubate 50 to 100 companies with $1mil or $2 mil in seed money which eventually grow to employ 50 to 100 jobs worth $50,000+, and you’ve created hundreds of millions in new taxable revenue that is organically grown.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:17 am »

I believe we are far better off spending that money (or really much less) helping to incubate new entrepreneurial ideas which might be a little beyond conventional thinking and the only thing they lack is conventional funding.

Think what Tulsa might look like if Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Jeff Bezos, Fred Smith, or Sam Walton had been Tulsa natives and committed to starting their company out here.  It doesn’t even have to be something that gets to that size.  

Help incubate 50 to 100 companies with $1mil or $2 mil in seed money which eventually grow to employ 50 to 100 jobs worth $50,000+, and you’ve created hundreds of millions in new taxable revenue that is organically grown.

Minneapolis had this idea in 1975. They formed an agreement with all the suburbs to stop competing for the same firms already in the metro (net zero job creation + losses from tax incentives). They all share a piece of a common pie, and Minneapolis is now home to 28 Fortune 1000 companies, most if not all of them home-grown (Tulsa has 7). It has grown five times faster than Chicago and 3.7 times faster than Tulsa between 2000 and 2013. It's forecasted to grow by more than 20% just in the next 15 years. It also bests Tulsa in bachelors degrees by 16 percentage points (30.0% Tulsa; 46.3% Minneapolis). They've been investing in homegrown talent and business for 40 years now and are consistently ranked among the best places in the country to live, work, play, learn, raise a family, etc.

We should take a page from Minneapolis and stop competing with other cities for jobs.

Help grow local businesses and then make the city such a nice place to live that they don't want to leave.

Article: Why is Minneapolis growing almost five times faster than Chicago? It's not the weather.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:00:44 am by dsjeffries » Logged

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 01:01:12 pm »

Minneapolis had this idea in 1975. They formed an agreement with all the suburbs to stop competing for the same firms already in the metro (net zero job creation + losses from tax incentives). They all share a piece of a common pie, and Minneapolis is now home to 28 Fortune 1000 companies, most if not all of them home-grown (Tulsa has 7). It has grown five times faster than Chicago and 3.7 times faster than Tulsa between 2000 and 2013. It's forecasted to grow by more than 20% just in the next 15 years. It also bests Tulsa in bachelors degrees by 16 percentage points (30.0% Tulsa; 46.3% Minneapolis). They've been investing in homegrown talent and business for 40 years now and are consistently ranked among the best places in the country to live, work, play, learn, raise a family, etc.

We should take a page from Minneapolis and stop competing with other cities for jobs.

Help grow local businesses and then make the city such a nice place to live that they don't want to leave.

Article: Why is Minneapolis growing almost five times faster than Chicago? It's not the weather.

A great stride, one that has been discussed often but would be extremely difficult to do in Oklahoma where we are the only State in the Nation that requires municipalities to be 100% funded for operations by sales tax dollars.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 01:28:10 pm »

That would require a progressive, forward looking, innovative mindset that Oklahoma just will never have.  Taxes would also have to be higher to support infrastructure and education on a MUCH higher level than we are willing to do.

They have Al Franken and Amy Klobuchar.  We have Jim Inhofe and James Lankford.

They have these people;
https://www.google.com/search?q=minnesota+us+representatives&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

We don't.

They have Mark Dayton.  We have Mary Failin'.

They have Betsy Hodges.  We have the always forgettable Doobie Bartlett.

And while the "ratings" put OKC at #20 in growth rate and Minneapolis at #27, OKC is all minimum wage growth.  Minneapolis isn't.

That is why Minneapolis is growing 5 times faster than Chicago.  And Minnesota is overall a much nicer place to live, outside of that really big gorilla in the room - the winter weather.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 02:15:54 pm »

A great stride, one that has been discussed often but would be extremely difficult to do in Oklahoma where we are the only State in the Nation that requires municipalities to be 100% funded for operations by sales tax dollars.

I like your 100% number...   Then I actually looked at a city budget.   More like 65%.

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/380610/03-Fund%20Summaries.pdf
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 03:29:12 pm »

So that would be to accept that the status quo can never change.  Certainly it can.

I find much better value in providing a local tech company with $2 million in seed money than giving Costco that $2 million to come in and further dilute sales tax collections.  The sigh of relief is that Bixby/Broken Arrow/Jenks/Owasso/Glenpool doesn’t get the retailer while we basically shift revenue from Sam’s and other direct Costco competitors within Tulsa.

It’s truly a crappy economic model.  We need leadership which can steer us in a different direction.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 09:32:06 am »

So that would be to accept that the status quo can never change.  Certainly it can.

I find much better value in providing a local tech company with $2 million in seed money than giving Costco that $2 million to come in and further dilute sales tax collections.  The sigh of relief is that Bixby/Broken Arrow/Jenks/Owasso/Glenpool doesn’t get the retailer while we basically shift revenue from Sam’s and other direct Costco competitors within Tulsa.

It’s truly a crappy economic model.  We need leadership which can steer us in a different direction.

The big thing missing in your analysis is that there is more than just a revenue shifting event.  The employees are making twice as much, meaning there is twice the opportunity for economic activity in the area.  This has a big ripple effect.  (It's as if the minimum wage were doubled...literally.  And anyone with at least half a brain or more knows what a good thing that is for the overall economy!)

It would be crappy if it were just another minimum wage retailer, but since it's not, there is a much bigger benefit.  But yeah, it would be better to fund a potential money/product/manufacturing creation than just another retail/restaurant type event.  But since we are he$$ bent on obliterating education and roads and other infrastructure in this state, probably not gonna happen just real soon.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 03:28:42 pm »

The big thing missing in your analysis is that there is more than just a revenue shifting event.  The employees are making twice as much, meaning there is twice the opportunity for economic activity in the area.  This has a big ripple effect.  (It's as if the minimum wage were doubled...literally.  And anyone with at least half a brain or more knows what a good thing that is for the overall economy!)

It would be crappy if it were just another minimum wage retailer, but since it's not, there is a much bigger benefit.  But yeah, it would be better to fund a potential money/product/manufacturing creation than just another retail/restaurant type event.  But since we are he$$ bent on obliterating education and roads and other infrastructure in this state, probably not gonna happen just real soon.

I believe we have covered this before, Costco doesn’t pay twice what Sam’s does and with a payroll of +/- 200 employees, that ripple effect is minimal.  It comes nowhere close to impacting the local economy like an organically-grown company eventually providing jobs worth two or three times what Costco pays.

According to glassdoor.com, average pay for a Sam’s associate is $11/hr, average for Costco is $14.  Difference is $3 or roughly 25% more, not double.

With Tulsa’s annual population growth in the 1-2% range, we will never capture enough in new sales taxes to pay for the additional infrastructure and public safety which is required to keep up with the retail growth.

We need to change the way we finance our city.  Retail growth is not the answer, as evidenced by chronic claimed shortages of police and fire personnel and our still bombed-out roads.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:35:17 pm »

There is a reason no other state in the union, and as far as I know nonkther country that requires cities to operate on sales tax revenue. A stupid law. Why can't cities choose?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TeeDub
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:44:37 am »

There is a reason no other state in the union, and as far as I know nonkther country that requires cities to operate on sales tax revenue. A stupid law. Why can't cities choose?

I thought I already debunked this once...    Try 65% of cities revenues comes from sales taxes.    https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/380610/03-Fund%20Summaries.pdf

Page 6
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:01:26 am »

I believe we have covered this before, Costco doesn’t pay twice what Sam’s does and with a payroll of +/- 200 employees, that ripple effect is minimal.  It comes nowhere close to impacting the local economy like an organically-grown company eventually providing jobs worth two or three times what Costco pays.

According to glassdoor.com, average pay for a Sam’s associate is $11/hr, average for Costco is $14.  Difference is $3 or roughly 25% more, not double.

With Tulsa’s annual population growth in the 1-2% range, we will never capture enough in new sales taxes to pay for the additional infrastructure and public safety which is required to keep up with the retail growth.

We need to change the way we finance our city.  Retail growth is not the answer, as evidenced by chronic claimed shortages of police and fire personnel and our still bombed-out roads.

Yeah...chasing retail growth is stupid!  And counterproductive.  That's why I am with you on funding real jobs/companies rather than the next big box retail place.  Or at least as bad - a call center!!

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 03:35:20 pm »

I thought I already debunked this once...    Try 65% of cities revenues comes from sales taxes.    https://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/380610/03-Fund%20Summaries.pdf
Page 6

As quoted :

65% sales tax
9% "other taxes"
8% Charges for services
7% Misc Transfers and Revenue
4% Fines and forfeitures
3% Intergovernmental
3% Licenses and permits
1% Interest income
- - -

And that is interesting. BUT, the fact remains, the City OPERATES on sales tax revenue. No one else does that because it encourages poor growth models, sporadic revenue, and tax incentives for retailers (which generally have a low or even negative overall economic impact). You have to chase retail before jobs. Before redevelopment. Before quality of life. Walmart is more important than nearly anything else - to the fiscal life of the City.

By encouraging municipalities to chase retail you cannibalize the only available tax base. Owasso builds a new Walmart, Tulsa loses X in sales tax from its Walmart. It is a zero sum game - the regional consumers can only consume so much. Industry, commerce, and other opportunities can actually drain revenue from the municipality. A new corporate headquarters adds potential new shoppers and nothing more, from a fiscal standpoint. Yet, they may demand incentives to build their campus... which we can't do (should is a different discussion). Hence, Walmart gets a TIF, CITGO does not.

The Other 35% is mostly use fees. And that's great: sewer, water, etc. is covered by use fees. But police, fire, parks, beautification, street maintenance, 2025 improvements, etc. is paid for with sales tax revenue. Basically, everything that is quality of life is sales tax. So I'm not sure what you have "debunked."

In most of the United States, sales tax only represents 11% of revenue for municipalities (most cities operate on 2:1 property tax to sales tax. This forces them to consider land use and long term planning to maximize revenue).  It is 65% in Tulsa. Most states allow multiple sources of revenue for cities, Oklahoma allows one. Of the States that allow only one source, Oklahoma is the only state dumb enough to restrict it to just sales tax.

Stupid.

Good slide show on the topic:
https://cmao-ok.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/9

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org