A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:24:00 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Turnpike Construction coming in 2016  (Read 13628 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: October 29, 2015, 12:48:33 pm »

Big turnpike projects in the Tulsa area. Construction to start in Q3 2016.

1.   $30 million  - OTA will finish the west loop tying together the Gilcrease Expressway and I-44
2.   This is the  big one, $300 million. Upgrade and widen with lights the Turner from the Creek Turnpike to Bristow.
3.   Lastly upgrade and widen the Muskogee Turnpike from The Creek Turnpike to Coweta - $42 million

There’s also $500+ million planned in the OKC area, mostly to further build two more sections of an outer ring around Oklahoma City.

http://www.drivingforwardok.com/

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state/new-tulsa-road-projects-included-in-bond-financed-turnpike-initiative/article_6cd8b552-175a-5cc2-976d-acbf0521db26.html
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 01:19:01 pm »

BILLIONS on roadwork. Not a penny for mass transit...

1) Turner turnpike increased to 6 lanes from Bristow to the Creek Turnpike Interchange. $300,000,000.

I've never really had a problem with that area. I also hate freeway lighting other than major interchanges. Huge waste on the front end and operating costs. I shake my head as I turn off my headlights and drive down the well lit freeways of Oklahoma...

But I could see the expansion being needed eventually. Bond prices are low.

2) Resurface 51 to Coweta.  Resurface from Coweta partially to Muskogee.

Probably needs it.

3) Tisdale to West 41st

Planners really want the west loop. Unless there is bridge funding in the future, or an alternate plan, it's irrelevant. BUT... that part of Tulsa is underdeveloped. Better to grow there than further south. Keep the town more balanced.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »

On the website it states:
This project connects L.L. Tisdale to I-44 and completes the Western loop around the Tulsa metro area. It will help relieve urban traffic congestion during peak periods. It will also provide a new and more direct route to city attractions and points of interest in the Tulsa urban core. This will bolster safe access to Tulsa along with economic growth and opportunity.

How does 2.5 miles connect tisdale and I-44? Those roads are 8 miles apart?

Maybe Tisdale to Gilcrease?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:47:21 pm »

Should also note that this means 28 more miles of highway in OKC and 2.5 miles in Tulsa.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 03:51:41 pm »

Should also note that this means 28 more miles of highway in OKC and 2.5 miles in Tulsa.

Do we want the resulting sprawl of 28 more miles of highway built in the middle of nowhere? This isn't a bad thing.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 03:54:26 pm »

Do we want the resulting sprawl of 28 more miles of highway built in the middle of nowhere? This isn't a bad thing.

Then again, with cross-subsidizing, we aren't really paying for them. And it looks so pretty on a map.

The original press release says "progress" towards finishing the loop. Truthfully, bond rates are as low as they ever will be. If we want to build stuff, now is the time.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 04:32:13 pm »

No, but I would rather see Tulsa and OKC both get 8. Tulsa would have a complete western loop and OKC can make an outlet mall expressway or something. Having trouble visualizing where they can put another highway. The whole town seems like it's put in a median as it is.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 04:43:05 pm »

On the website it states:

How does 2.5 miles connect tisdale and I-44? Those roads are 8 miles apart?

Maybe Tisdale to Gilcrease?

That was the same thing I was thinking about but how could you justify making that segment (Tisdale to Gilcrease) toll when it's currently limited access right now anyway?  Unless there is already a lot of it done.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 09:42:06 am »

BILLIONS on roadwork. Not a penny for mass transit...

1) Turner turnpike increased to 6 lanes from Bristow to the Creek Turnpike Interchange. $300,000,000.

I've never really had a problem with that area. I also hate freeway lighting other than major interchanges. Huge waste on the front end and operating costs. I shake my head as I turn off my headlights and drive down the well lit freeways of Oklahoma...

But I could see the expansion being needed eventually. Bond prices are low.

2) Resurface 51 to Coweta.  Resurface from Coweta partially to Muskogee.

Probably needs it.

3) Tisdale to West 41st

Planners really want the west loop. Unless there is bridge funding in the future, or an alternate plan, it's irrelevant. BUT... that part of Tulsa is underdeveloped. Better to grow there than further south. Keep the town more balanced.

The expansion to Bristow seems entirely unnecessary.  How far would $300 million go toward improving and implementing passenger rail service between Tulsa and OKC?  I don’t see a reason why OTA can’t be in the choo-choo business.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 10:49:08 am »

Based on the graphic in the Tulsa World this morning it is the section that begins just north of 412 and runs across the Arkansas River.  The city is still on the hook for the remainder.  The city authorized earlier this year $8.6mm for right of way acquisition to make way for the extension.  The two lane Gilcrease Expressway already connects with the Tisdale Pkwy between Apache & 36th St N and meanders thru the hills for a couple miles until you get to N 41st W Ave.  The connection from HWY 75 to the Tisdale is complete.  The stretch going west of the Tisdale is a nice expressway drive if you're looking for 2.5 miles of paved paradise.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 11:21:19 am »

"And if we don't start planning, we're going to have a major crisis on our hands when it comes to congestion, safety, transportation, being able to get around our ... turnpike system throughout the whole state," Fallin said. "And businesses, frankly, could choose not to locate to Oklahoma because of that."

You think she honestly believes that's why businesses are not locating in Oklahoma?
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 11:59:54 am »

Now don't get too excited yet, it still requires legislative authorization.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 12:08:08 pm »

Wow.  Totally different story than was reported in The Frontier.  

OK, so the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority is offering to spend $28 million to help build a 2.5-mile stretch of the Gilcrease Expressway from Edison to 21st Street.

But it seems the devil's in the details...

https://www.readfrontier.com/whats-not-to-love-about-states-offer-to-help-build-gilcrease-expressway-a-few-things/

- The city estimates the project will cost approximately $100 million, meaning Tulsa would be on the hook for the remaining $72 million or so.

- Of the six projects announced by the Turnpike Authority, Tulsa is the only city being asked to contribute funds to a project.

- The Turnpike Authority will maintain and operate the other five roadway projects announced Thursday but will not maintain and operate the 2.5-mile stretch of the Gilcrease once it is completed. That will be the city’s job, even as Tulsans pay the Turnpike Authority a toll to use it.

- The Turnpike Authority announced $892 million in projects Thursday, but only two projects – the Gilcrease and the reconstruction of 9.5 miles of the Muskogee Turnpike, totaling $70 million – are expressly intended to benefit northeast Oklahoma.

...So now the city has a decision to make: take the Turnpike Authority’s $28 million and get the road done in 2019 or 2020, or continue to pay $7.5 million annually – $6 million in federal funds and $1.5 million in city matching funds – and do the job itself.

If the city takes the money, the 2.5-mile stretch gets built sooner, but Tulsans will have to pay a toll to use the roadway until the Turnpike Authority gets its $28 million back.

And that $7.5 million the city is using to build the road itself will go to pay off the city’s $70 million portion of the project, plus debt service.

Reject the offer, and the 2.5-mile stretch gets built piece by piece and is completed in about 13 years.

-- So there's another possibility.  Why don't we just agree not to build the darn thing.  It's a bridge to nowhere.  We don't need it.  We can't afford to maintain it.  And we have a lot of real transportation needs that are going unfunded right now--projects that could actually benefit real people, not just make a handful of land speculators rich.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:10:05 pm by PonderInc » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 12:31:13 pm »

I also hate freeway lighting other than major interchanges. Huge waste on the front end and operating costs. I shake my head as I turn off my headlights and drive down the well lit freeways of Oklahoma...

If you have to light at all, it should be Interchange Lighting and not end-to-end Continuous Lighting.  The later would be for an area that has pedestrians, bicyclists and at-grade conflicts.  Is that planned?  If not, its wasteful spending.

Also, lighting is not a one-time expense. 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 12:48:46 pm »

You think she honestly believes that's why businesses are not locating in Oklahoma?

This is Sauerkraut...I...mean, Mary we are talking about here.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org