A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:39:00 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Midtown?  (Read 23434 times)
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 10:34:24 am »

Midtown = (N) Downtown/I-244, (S) I-44, (E) Sheridan, (W) the Arkansas River

Honestly the best name for south Tulsa between I-44 and the Creek is Uptown.  Downtown > Midtown > Uptown 
It even reflects the topography of that area.  Tongue

Growing up we called the area south of the Creek "Deep South Tulsa"

No, uptown is the area south of downtown, around Utica square/Riverside between ~15th and 31st. In almost every city, uptown refers to the same type of area near downtown.

There is already a name for between I-44 and the Creek: South Tulsa. South of there could become deep south Tulsa or far South Tulsa, but you can't just change an unofficial name that was given by the citizens and has been there for decades.

It would be like North Tulsa deciding, "we don't like that name! We are going to start calling it South Owasso or Upper Downtown!" It just wouldn't work.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 02:52:56 pm »

You can't just change an unofficial name that was given by the citizens and has been there for decades.

It would be like North Tulsa deciding, "we don't like that name! We are going to start calling it South Owasso or Upper Downtown!" It just wouldn't work.

It happens all the time. Didn't they do that with the Rose District in Broken Arrow? NoMa (North of Massachusetts Avenue) in DC was invented out of whole cloth a few years ago and now everyone uses it. Sometimes it's realtors, sometimes it's business improvement districts, sometimes it's the internet. But it happens and sometimes they stick.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 03:31:01 pm »

It happens all the time. Didn't they do that with the Rose District in Broken Arrow? NoMa (North of Massachusetts Avenue) in DC was invented out of whole cloth a few years ago and now everyone uses it. Sometimes it's realtors, sometimes it's business improvement districts, sometimes it's the internet. But it happens and sometimes they stick.

I said that in reference to an area the size of south Tulsa from I44 to creek turnpike which makes up a huge portion of Tulsa. There is not enough solidarity in that large of an area to do something like that. That's why I used north Tulsa as an example: People won't suddenly start calling it Upper Downtown or Upper Midtown just because a few people would prefer that.

Plus I said "you can't just change an unofficial name that was given by the citizens and has been there for decades". Those examples you listed are giving new names to unnamed places. If anything, parts of south Tulsa should do that if they have enough of a uniqueness to warrant it, not reuse labels from existing areas in town.
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 03:52:18 pm »

Those examples you listed are giving new names to unnamed places. If anything, parts of south Tulsa should do that if they have enough of a uniqueness to warrant it, not reuse labels from existing areas in town.

You're right about the size and lack of cohesion, you're right that many parts of South Tulsa should come up with some marketing names. But not every place that gets a new name was previously unnamed. NoMa was Swampoodle until a few years ago.  I can see why they changed it...
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 04:49:23 pm »

I tell people that I live in Lower Midtown,  51st and Yale is the closest major intersection. They all just laugh. 

Ha ha...I like that and will use it. My nearly 60 year old Holiday Hills home certainly doesn't feel south Tulsa

saintnicster
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:14 am »

I said that in reference to an area the size of south Tulsa from I44 to creek turnpike which makes up a huge portion of Tulsa. There is not enough solidarity in that large of an area to do something like that. That's why I used north Tulsa as an example: People won't suddenly start calling it Upper Downtown or Upper Midtown just because a few people would prefer that.

Plus I said "you can't just change an unofficial name that was given by the citizens and has been there for decades". Those examples you listed are giving new names to unnamed places. If anything, parts of south Tulsa should do that if they have enough of a uniqueness to warrant it, not reuse labels from existing areas in town.
Stop trying to make Fetch happen.  It's not going to happen!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 12:51:01 pm »

Stop trying to make Fetch happen.  It's not going to happen!

Boo you whore...I used that line just the other day.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 12:41:30 pm »

I refer to Far South Tulsa as District 8. 

While apparently not the most attractive of the districts in Panem, Tulsa's 8 has the longest life expectancy.

"Don't hate the 8"

Anyway...Go 8!

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 12:46:31 pm »

On that same note, "South Midtown" could be referred to as "the 9th", or Nines, Niner, D9, the Dry Ninth ward...

http://maps.cityoftulsa.org/citycouncil/

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »

I consider myself a midtown/downtown person who currently lives in the far southeast burbs at 41st and Harvard.

(I suppose this is a bit like being a trans person who's trapped in the wrong body....)

Back when I was a "real" midtown person, the only reason I traveled this far south was to visit my folks and to eat at India Palace, which is so good I overlook the fact that you need a visa and passport to go there.

Years ago, people used to talk about how the fairgrounds was the geographic center of Tulsa.  Even though it was in the middle, it was never considered the epicenter of "midtown."

I think of "midtown" as near downtown to the south and east, and I do factor in architecture and the existence of an actual street grid (or something that could pass as a street grid, at least).  My definition is more art than science, it makes no sense, and it has a bias that excludes north and west of downtown.  Hmmm...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 01:53:02 pm »

On that same note, "South Midtown" could be referred to as "the 9th", or Nines, Niner, D9, the Dry Ninth ward...

http://maps.cityoftulsa.org/citycouncil/

...except for those who were in the 9th district one day and woke up in the 4th district the next.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 02:57:10 pm »

(I suppose this is a bit like being a trans person who's trapped in the wrong body....)

Conan?
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 03:04:12 pm »

White City??!!

That’s just racist!

Before I found out the origins, I thought the same thing. It was named after the White City dairy farm which was there before they closed it and sold the land to develop. The name was referring to the color of all the buildings and silos. It was founded by the same guy who founded ONEOK.

http://www.tulsagal.net/2010/11/historic-neighborhoods-white-city.html
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 08:35:05 am »

Conan?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 10:34:34 am »

Uptown is the area between SoBo (18th & Boston) and the IDL.

Which doesn't make sense.  Why would uptown be between downtown and midtown?  That neighborhood is Riverview with just the part along Boston considered by some as Sobo/South Boston.

I'm not advocating changing south Tulsa's name just stating what would make the most sense if applying NYC logic to downtown-midtown-uptown naming conventions.  OKC has fairly recently renamed the area directly north of its downtown to midtown roughly around 13th St (which is a much smaller area than midtown in Tulsa) and then the commercial corridor along 23rd is uptown.  That make sense if not slightly contrived.  But uptown in Riverview is dumb.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org