A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:29:08 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton  (Read 106411 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2016, 09:35:00 am »

Seriously?

Aside from the words out of Trump's own mouth, Steve Bannon, you know Trump's campaign president, the white power movement and the KKK all say hello.

Trump's campaign was built on hate. It was his core message.

You, just like millions of others, are completely mis-reading this thing.

I said Trump SUPPORTERS are no more racist. Not Trump himself. Are you that dense?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:47 am »

You, just like millions of others, are completely mis-reading this thing.

I said Trump SUPPORTERS are no more racist. Not Trump himself. Are you that dense?

No, there's a huge portion of Trump supporters that voted for him because they themselves are racist. It's a very large part of his support. For example, the KKK endorsed him. They are part of his supporters. Are you dense?

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2016, 09:54:51 am »

No, there's a huge portion of Trump supporters that voted for him because they themselves are racist. It's a very large part of his support. For example, the KKK endorsed him. They are part of his supporters. Are you dense?

Roll Eyes

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2016, 09:56:12 am »

Roll Eyes

A believer in the fact free new order I see. The Infowars/Breitbart era is upon us.

saintnicster
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2016, 10:22:29 am »

Trump supporters are no more racist than any other subset of the population. Your commentary is why Trump is elected. You know this right? People are tired of being called racist and what not.

Seriously?

Aside from the words out of Trump's own mouth, Steve Bannon, you know Trump's campaign president, the white power movement and the KKK all say hello.
Trump's campaign was built on hate. It was his core message.
In the words of Avenue Q, "Everyone's a little bit racist".  I agree will agree with you with that one point.  We're human, susceptible to environmental bias, and have a genetic disposition to stereotyping or classifying 'threats' to us based on 'differences'.  WHAT MATTERS is the expression of that stereotyping, those biases, the 'racism'. 

There are a non-zero amount of self-identified Trump supporters out there that are actively threatening people based on color of skin, supposed country of origin, or sexual/gender status, usually based on some misguiding from a historical book. Now, giving people the benefit of the doubt - you and your family are not one of those people spray-painting a swastika on the side of a building, leaving threatening notes, teaching your kids out there (indirectly or not) that these people need to go, but people _ARE_ doing this.

I ask to the people that voted for President-elect Trump (including himself), the candidate that these people self-identify with - how do these acts make you feel?  What is your gut reaction?
Do you decry the acts? Do you take even the slightest pause?  Do you condemn them or do you remain silent?  It is my understanding that to those under attack, remaining silent and/or doing nothing is, at best, condoning the attacks, and at worst, is actually committing those attacks yourself.  _That_ is why I will call people racist, bigoted, or homophobic.  But not before I ask them these questions.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2016, 10:23:02 am »

A believer in the fact free new order I see. The Infowars/Breitbart era is upon us.

I AM A RACIST!!!!

You win the board today. I can't keep up. Chasing the uncatchable is to damn hard.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2016, 10:24:11 am »

I don't know if  "It's a very large part of his support",  but fear of "the other" definitely has manifested itself as a part of Trump's support base.  Several years ago when Obama made the comment about people being fearful and "clinging to their guns and bibles" (something like that), it may not have been a good thing to say politically, but he wasn't wrong.  This fear and uncertainty has grown in last few years, and among other behaviors results in the current racially-tinged backlash(es) that we see right now.   It's unfortunate and sad, but it's also the easiest and simplest outlet for some people.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2016, 11:20:37 am »

Do you decry the acts? Do you take even the slightest pause?  Do you condemn them or do you remain silent?  It is my understanding that to those under attack, remaining silent and/or doing nothing is, at best, condoning the attacks, and at worst, is actually committing those attacks yourself.  _That_ is why I will call people racist, bigoted, or homophobic.  But not before I ask them these questions.

Associating guilt to people from the actions of others?  Serious?  So if I didn’t publicly condemn the shooter of the five Dallas cops last summer:  I condoned it, and committed those acts myself.

Wow!

Where do you people get this stuff?

I don’t hear anyone condemning Van Jones for calling Trump’s win a “Whitelash”.  I also didn’t hear President Obama, Jones’ prior employer condemning those remarks either.  That definitely makes Obama a racist bigot, in your books right?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2016, 12:57:05 pm »

Associating guilt to people from the actions of others?  Serious?  So if I didn’t publicly condemn the shooter of the five Dallas cops last summer:  I condoned it, and committed those acts myself.

Wow!

Oh, I don't know, maybe in how President Trump himself has repeated blamed Muslim communities as a whole for terrorist attacks.....
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »

Oh, I don't know, maybe in how President Trump himself has repeated blamed Muslim communities as a whole for terrorist attacks.....

The irony obviously escapes Swake.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2016, 01:32:09 pm »

The irony obviously escapes Swake.

No, the fact that Hispanics do not choose to be a member of that group. Few Muslims do either. So to associate blame for a bad actor to an entire groups like a race or a religion is wrong.

However, when you chose to vote Trump you CHOSE to elect a known stupid, racist, fraudster, misogynistic serial sexual predator. You self selected to join that group. Just like people choose to join the KKK.

Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2016, 01:40:41 pm »

I didn't hear Hillary Clinton's concession speech, but caught a quote or two.

Here's a nice excerpt which was reported by the AP:

...Clinton was gracious in defeat, declaring that “Donald Trump is going to be our president. We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead.”

I agree.  That's being gracious and polite.

saintnicster
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2016, 01:51:02 pm »

Associating guilt to people from the actions of others?  Serious?
Inconceivable, right? it's not like we as [White ]Americans have ever done anything like that

* Tulsa Race Riots.
* Japanese Internment camps from World War 2
* Gays and The AIDS scare
* 9/11 and anyone that "looked muslim"
* anyone labeled "a thug" because of the way they dress

Those are just some of the big ones.  Yes, it's eye for an eye and it hurts everyone, but at some point you have to stop being a group of victims and defend yourself in the slightest way.  And that defense of themselves will be seen as injustice regardless of the scale. 

But then again, you're just going to ignore that list anyways.

Personally remembering with the 9/11 stuff, we didn't lock them up, but most of us didn't trust them. How else would that god-aweful "boot in your donkey, it's the American Way" song be as popular as it was.  Yes, as a member of the lower-middle class white kid in Stillwater was paranoid and sang along with it like everyone else around me did.  The sentiment made me feel safe at the time, so I fell in line lockstep. 

Looking back, I'm ashamed at how I acted, and I want to prevent something like that from happening again.  I WANT PEOPLE TO BE BETTER

So if I didn’t publicly condemn the shooter of the five Dallas cops last summer:  I condoned it, and committed those acts myself.

You missed my "at best and at worst".  This means that there is a spectrum with multiple variables.  I don't know (or remember, if you bothered posting here) what your reaction to it was, public or private, so I cannot judge. I never asked you the questions. 

Wow!

I don’t hear anyone condemning Van Jones for calling Trump’s win a “Whitelash”.  I also didn’t hear President Obama, Jones’ prior employer condemning those remarks either.  That definitely makes Obama a racist bigot, in your books right?

for someone that probably doesn't like being retaliated against, that felt like a fairly sloppy "you people"

And to make you happy, since it doesn't seem to happen often these days, then yes, by the narrow definition given above, they're racist.  But then again, you might want to read over the post again because I said that EVERYONE is racist.  Were I able to adjust my definition, I would say that you also need to take into consideration tone and history.  But I'm sure there are flaws there, too. 

I really wish that I lived in this fantasy world that everyone else lives in, but I see the makeup of our society crumbling like an Oklahoma bridge.  It may not go today, it may not go tomorrow.  But it's going to come down one of these days if we just keep patching potholes.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2016, 02:02:18 pm »

A friend's post from facebook. This happened to her in Tulsa today. She's Jewish and has adopted two girls from Africa.
Trump America Day #3. This just happened to my baby. I picked P. up from school early her asthma was acting up. We were at a stop light when we saw many officers chasing a man with their guns/tasers drawn. It was surreal. Cars stoped everywhere. I pulled through a gas station to get around the stopped traffic. There was a man standing outside his car watching. About 70 maybe. Nice car, dressed well. I rolled down my window and said sir do you know what happened? He said " Well the cops were chasing some n****r." I saw red. P. is in the back seat. I yelled excuse me!!! My black child is sitting in the back and that is not ok. AT ALL. He said well you asked what happened. I started to drive off as P. burst into tears in the back. I stopped, held her hand and circled around to his car. I rolled the window down and said you look at my baby right now and apologize. I said you should be ashamed of yourself. He looked at her sobbing and said I'm sorry. I am sorry. I am sorry.
I am shaking. How am I going to do this how:( I want to cry but I need to be strong for her. P. is now calm and asked if we could move somewhere else. The problem baby is no where is ok anymore:( To those who voted that man in this is what you've done. You've made this acceptable. It would be best to not talk to me if you are one or them.

Another friend's post from facebook. He's gay and lives in Tulsa, this happened yesterday at DFW airport:
I flew to Dallas today for work. In the airport on my way home, I was sitting at the terminal waiting for my flight when I heard a group of guys being loud and laughing. Then I heard them say, "watch out fag" and "stupid friendly fellow".
As a gay man, when you hear that, you assume it's about you and that you're in danger. This wasn't my first rodeo. Immediately, my pulse quickened and I started scanning for an exit or help.
When I figured out what was happening, I realized it was a group of 4 young guys harassing a more effeminate young man walking next to them. They were walking by him saying terrible things; he was doing his best to ignore it and move on.
Before I could react, a few young women stepped in and shut it down. For a moment, I thought a fight was about to break out. The ladies demanded the jackasses stop and apologize. After about 30 seconds they did. Everyone sort of separated.
I thanked the ladies who stepped in, I made sure the younger guy was okay. We all parted ways with a sort of "we gotta stick together" look.
And I sat down and I cried for a hot second. Out of relief. Out of fear. Out of the deep hurt I feel right now. This is the world my son will face now? Because we've allowed one man to change our narrative as a country?
This can't be happening.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2016, 02:08:39 pm »

Personally remembering with the 9/11 stuff, we didn't lock them up, but most of us didn't trust them. How else would that god-aweful "boot in your donkey, it's the American Way" song be as popular as it was.  Yes, as a member of the lower-middle class white kid in Stillwater was paranoid and sang along with it like everyone else around me did.  The sentiment made me feel safe at the time, so I fell in line lockstep. 

Slight drift, but I always felt like that song got a bad rap.  I just listened to it again as I hadn't heard it in years, and it doesn't mention anything about Muslims, etc.  It doesn't even specify who attacked us.  It just basically says "you came at us, and we hit you back.  Really, really, hard. And let that be a warning to anybody else who might be thinking about trying the same thing."  We were attacked by an outside force.  (And in a cowardly way.  A "sucker punch", per the song.)  To me, this song represented the emotions of the time very well.  "We didn't ask to be attacked.  But now that we have been, your @$$ is ours."  Works for me.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org