A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 06:28:17 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma City By-The-Numbers...  (Read 18754 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2024, 12:08:31 pm »

From your 2nd link...
Makes me want to avoid staying in OKC.

I had yo read the KFOR article a couple of times to make sure I read it right. I'm probably not one to stay in OKC since I don't have any immediate family there.

It's bot a bad way to raise funds for specific things like the fairgrounds, sports and tourism, they did that here to help pay for the Cardinals stadium in Glendale. IIRC they bumped the lodging and car rental tax 1% each.

I am curious about the $11.6 million annually figure, I don't know if that's an over or under figure I didn't realize there was that many big draws to the area.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2024, 04:44:43 pm »

I had yo read the KFOR article a couple of times to make sure I read it right. I'm probably not one to stay in OKC since I don't have any immediate family there.

It's bot a bad way to raise funds for specific things like the fairgrounds, sports and tourism, they did that here to help pay for the Cardinals stadium in Glendale. IIRC they bumped the lodging and car rental tax 1% each.

I am curious about the $11.6 million annually figure, I don't know if that's an over or under figure I didn't realize there was that many big draws to the area.

State of Oklahoma, the FAA,Tinker; lots of government.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2024, 05:29:06 pm »

State of Oklahoma, the FAA,Tinker; lots of government.

It's coming back to me. The Softball World Series, NBA games, horse and rodeo events, and weekend visitors for the entertainment district. Isn't OKC on the list for part of the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Things like that, that occur on an annual basis.was more of what I was thinking. Do they still do the teachers conference there around this time of year?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 05:31:14 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2024, 11:35:44 pm »

It's bot a bad way to raise funds for specific things like the fairgrounds, sports and tourism, ...

If there was something I really wanted to do or see, I guess I would pay "whatever" it cost to go.

But as a lark or curiosity, my frugal tendencies would say.... too much $$.

Fortunately for me, OKC is only a couple of hours from home so I won't have to stay there.

It's kind of like a gathering I went to at a Broken Arrow bar where an undisclosed (on the menu) drink tax was put on top the drink price and sales tax....  The waitress said she would pay the tax out of her tip.  I said no-way, you did your job, you get your tip but I am never coming back.  (And I haven't)

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2024, 12:41:54 pm »

The figures used are probably very conservative figures.    One thing OKC has learned is to request more than you need with MAPS and bonds because the City will move any surplus funds to other projects which may need funds to do some extras.

The increase in the hotel tax would still be lower than what is charged in peer cities such as Kansas City, San Antonio and Memphis--Oklahoman.

Is Tulsa's rate still 5%?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 01:00:19 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2024, 02:44:21 pm »

The figures used are probably very conservative figures.    One thing OKC has learned is to request more than you need with MAPS and bonds because the City will move any surplus funds to other projects which may need funds to do some extras.

The increase in the hotel tax would still be lower than what is charged in peer cities such as Kansas City, San Antonio and Memphis--Oklahoman.

And that was why I was curious about events that happen every year that bring in visitors because it creates a fairly reliable source of revenue each year. I also get the increase was based on the number of rooms compared to the number of visitors.

When I went to Portland OR for and even at Portland International Raceway I would actually stay across the river in Vancouver because the tax rate for rooms was 4% less than a mile across the river on the Oregon side. Even though Vancouver had a sales tax, prices on some things were lower there than in Portland so it was a trade off, that and before I drove back to SW Oregon where I lived I could put gas in my own car.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2024, 08:59:15 pm »

So, kind of like a slush fund?  Vote to approve $1.50 for something.  We know it will only cost $1.00 but will spend the other $.50 on whatever we want.

Oh yeah, the old our "this" tax is lower that your "this" tax.  Don't mention that "we" have other taxes that more than make up for your total tax.  Per the 2022 tables provided by dbacksfan, the new total tax for OKC would actually be slightly higher than the 2022 total tax for Kansas City, San Antonio and Memphis.  I guess if a city is trying for the highest tourist tax, OKC is definitely in the running for the top spot. I can understand some place like Honolulu being high since everything is shipped in or comes by air.  But OKC?

Oklahoma has always played the our "this" tax is lower than surrounding area "this" tax but Oklahoma taxes everything.  (Except the state sales tax on groceries.  It's about time.)

Don't know the specific hotel tax but the 2022 total rate was 13.52% per dbacksfan's link.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2024, 09:50:00 pm »

When I went to Portland OR for and even at Portland International Raceway I would actually stay across the river in Vancouver because the tax rate for rooms was 4% less than a mile across the river on the Oregon side.

You mean that you didn't want to pay a 4% increase in rates to stay a mile closer?   Grin  Where is your community spirit and Oregon state loyalty?  Yeah, I know you moved to AZ.

Even though Vancouver had a sales tax, prices on some things were lower there than in Portland so it was a trade off, that and before I drove back to SW Oregon where I lived I could put gas in my own car.

I assume you didn't set fire to the gas station because you weren't a trained gas station attendant. Grin  Or, maybe you were trained but didn't have Oregan credentials.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2024, 09:56:53 pm »

I could put gas in my own car.

My brother worked at a local Texaco station in the mid 70s.  His uniform included a belt buckle that had no metal that could contact the car being serviced.... no paint scratches.  Gas station also did mechanical work and sold tires.  I don't remember if road maps were free or cost a nominal amount.

It was all before GPS, etc.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2024, 12:47:09 am »

Red, thanks for a couple of good laughs.

Actually only caused one problem filling my own tank during the time I lived in the PNW. It was in Monterey CA and was trying to get the tank full and overflowed it, first time in probably 20 years or so. Never set fire to one.

Full service in Oregon was a joke. It was basically someone that came out, took your card, stuck it in the pump, handed it back, stuck the nozzle in, and took it out the minute it shut off regardless of how much fuel went in.

My parents actually found the mechanic that they used from 1968 until 1999 when he was working at the Sinclair station in the Boman Acres lot at 31st & Sheridan.

I never felt at home living in Oregon. I think it was partly because I lived in such a rural area, and anytime I went to Portland, I felt like I was on another planet. Just never had a home feeling living there even though I made a number of friends.

On the lodging tax issue, I can see the tax rate in Memphis from when I used to go there in the 90's to go to the blues clubs on Beale Street on the weekends. Never went to Graceland, but between the two they are big revenue generators, and once you get outside of that area there isn't much there.

I'm trying not to draw comparisons with other areas regarding the tax revenue versus the attraction to the area. Here it's easy to see why the combined tax rate is similar to Tulsa, but there is so much tourism revenue generated between November and May that it's not a fair comparison to either OKC or Tulsa. There is the built in Snowbird season, then you add in the championship NASCAR race in November, then starting in January there is the Fiesta Bowl, a half dozen classic car auctions, the Phoenix Open golf tournament and then spring training for baseball.

I guess my takeaway is that the increase in the tax is a guaranteed revenue stream as opposed to the revenue generated by increased room rates when the demand is higher, and that the higher room rates for special events offset off peak times. That's how Vegas used to have cheap rates Sunday night through Wednesday nights is that they charged higher rates Thursday through Saturday nights knowing it made up for the cheap rates the rest of the week and kept the tax rate the same.

It just seems wrongheaded to increase it that much.

As for the Tulsa/Arizona, yeah Arizona is home but Tulsa will always be my real home. There is a spot for me when I shuffle off this mortal coil at Memorial Park. As much as Tulsa has changed, I spent 35 years there growing up from '63 to '98, so it's where it all began.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2024, 10:26:54 am »

On the lodging tax issue, I can see the tax rate in Memphis from when I used to go there in the 90's to go to the blues clubs on Beale Street on the weekends.

I stayed near Memphis in early 1973.  I didn't worry about the hotel tax though since I had "lodging" at NAS Memphis (in nearby Millington).  At that time Beale Street was a risky place to go and going there was discouraged.

I went to a convention in Memphis in 2007.  I didn't pay attention to the tax in particular since the total package cost was something I was willing to pay.  My friends and I rode the trolley from the hotel at the convention center to and from Beale Street for dinner one night.
https://www.matatransit.com/trolley/routes/

I guess my takeaway is that the increase in the tax is a guaranteed revenue stream.....
It just seems wrongheaded to increase it that much.

My takeaway is that the tax is really only a part of going somewhere.  At some point, the total cost will outweigh the desire to go somewhere for many people.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org