A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 05:05:25 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: River West Festival Park proposed to become an ampitheater  (Read 7518 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: July 18, 2023, 10:51:46 am »

Some company is proposing a west Tulsa concert venue. They are apparently trying to build amphitheaters all over the country looking for "investors" that will receive VIP seating and tickets to all concerts. In OKC if you invest you will get a 19.6% return on your money! Wow! So huge and very specific. Seems beyond sketchy.

The Tulsa version looks to take up the entire River West park. The company's website is a whole lot of cut and paste of the same/similar images over and over in different locales all with just outstanding rates of return for investments.

https://noteslive.vip/properties/oklahoma/tulsasunset/

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 10:58:45 am by swake » Logged
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 11:04:31 am »

Saw that in the post from Laramie.

Even if they used the cement plant as well, there's not enough room for the venue and parking, not to mention the traffic issues that would come with it for the surrounding neighborhood.

Not an apples to apples comparison, this is Talking Stick Amphitheater in west Phoenix and between the actual theater and the grass hill it seats ~20,000 and the site takes up just under 60 acres. The housing around it was not there when it opened in 1990.

https://goo.gl/maps/CGf9T43P9LJKxeG9A
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 11:10:44 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 11:50:19 am »

Meh, parking could be handled... however I'm not sure the surrounding apartments and housing would appreciate this being plopped in. They already have to deal with Oktoberfest each year. Speaking of, that event is important enough that there would be significant resistance to having this take up the whole park. If they incorporate the cement plant area somehow there are ways this could work, but I have a feeling they haven't thought this through much and are just throwing things at the wall to attract "investment". They could bump out into the river by filling in that weird little inlet, but that would be expensive.

The whole thing smells like a scam. They announced multiple locations all at once, and are looking for investors to get them all off the ground. Looks like a logistical nightmare unless their plan is to just take in a bunch of money and if things "fall through", that's on the investors.

Edit: the company looks "legit" in the sense that they appear to already own a few venues - kinda looks like they bought out a couple chains? Their design for this ampitheatre concept that they want to build in multiple locations leaves much to be desired however. The "firepit suites" between the main stands and the pit will be real annoying in real life. Basically taking the VIP areas that have been creeping in at all the festivals and exploding it to take up half the venue. The main audience is pushed way back. I guess for some types of events it would work pretty well, but for major rock concerts it would be very annoying.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 11:55:09 am by shavethewhales » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 12:26:17 pm »

Meh, parking could be handled... however I'm not sure the surrounding apartments and housing would appreciate this being plopped in. They already have to deal with Oktoberfest each year. Speaking of, that event is important enough that there would be significant resistance to having this take up the whole park. If they incorporate the cement plant area somehow there are ways this could work, but I have a feeling they haven't thought this through much and are just throwing things at the wall to attract "investment". They could bump out into the river by filling in that weird little inlet, but that would be expensive.

The whole thing smells like a scam. They announced multiple locations all at once, and are looking for investors to get them all off the ground. Looks like a logistical nightmare unless their plan is to just take in a bunch of money and if things "fall through", that's on the investors.

Edit: the company looks "legit" in the sense that they appear to already own a few venues - kinda looks like they bought out a couple chains? Their design for this ampitheatre concept that they want to build in multiple locations leaves much to be desired however. The "firepit suites" between the main stands and the pit will be real annoying in real life. Basically taking the VIP areas that have been creeping in at all the festivals and exploding it to take up half the venue. The main audience is pushed way back. I guess for some types of events it would work pretty well, but for major rock concerts it would be very annoying.

Promising double digit annual returns screams scam.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 02:26:54 pm »

So, if you buy one of these firepit VIP boxes, is that like buying a timeshare where you have to pay taxes and maintenance fees on every year? It says in some of the info I read that you become a "landlord" so to speak, but to me it seems more like you are the risk taker for someone else.

"No concerts? Don't worry, you'll make money off the restaurants and bars."

I get it, it's going to become a destination thing. The one in Colorado Springs is next to a Top Golf, Indoor Parachuting, Bass Pro Shop area.

https://goo.gl/maps/ranGH2oaaPUYkWTf8

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 02:59:22 pm »

So, if you buy one of these firepit VIP boxes, is that like buying a timeshare where you have to pay taxes and maintenance fees on every year? It says in some of the info I read that you become a "landlord" so to speak, but to me it seems more like you are the risk taker for someone else.

"No concerts? Don't worry, you'll make money off the restaurants and bars."

I get it, it's going to become a destination thing. The one in Colorado Springs is next to a Top Golf, Indoor Parachuting, Bass Pro Shop area.

https://goo.gl/maps/ranGH2oaaPUYkWTf8

It's not built yet. They had a "symbolic" groundbreaking last week.

https://www.kktv.com/2023/07/12/it-is-being-designed-be-most-luxurious-amphitheater-ever-built-controversial-southern-colorado-music-venue-break-ground/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 03:16:40 pm by swake » Logged
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 04:21:11 pm »

Saw that, I was just pointing out where it's projected to be.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 09:22:10 am »

Promising double digit annual returns screams scam.

So now its in Broken Arrow? 

https://tulsaworld.com/life-entertainment/local/music/12-500-seat-amphitheater-coming-to-broken-arrow/article_d07d4168-622e-11ee-94a5-d3df00428979.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 11:29:24 am »

So now its in Broken Arrow? 

It was never in Tulsa.   They were just shopping around for a location. 
Probably told the burbs that Tulsa was going to get it unless they wanted to steal Tulsa's thunder.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 11:54:42 am »

This screams scam
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 01:17:57 pm »

Curious for more details to come out about how it will be funded. $93 million is a lot for a company with so much already supposedly going out to construction. They do have a few properties existing, and a few moving to construction or under construction, but it feels like everything is funded on speculative investments. Still seems like a house of cards that could collapse at any time.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 09:32:54 am »

Seems they are getting ready to start construction on one in Murfreesboro TN and the one in Colorado Springs has landed in court with a lawsuit over the noise level the venue will create. Sounds like a somewhat NIMBY suit but will be curious as to what happens.

https://www.cpr.org/2023/09/28/colorado-springs-sunset-ampitheater-lawsuit/

Residents of Colorado Springs’ northside are suing over a controversial new amphitheater currently under construction.

The suit targets both the city and Notes Live, which is building the Sunset Amphitheater. Michael Kuhn, who lives near the venue, and the Northside Neighbors Association, which he is president of, say the facility would violate statewide noise ordinances. They also say the city's exemption permits violate state law.

The suit seeks to halt further construction and require the city to change codes to meet statewide standards among other actions. 

The city approved the development of the 8,000-seat amphitheater in 2022, despite opposition from residents in the area. Residents living in the Northgate neighborhood appealed the council’s approval in January because of concerns the music venue would increase traffic, crime and noise in the area.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2023, 10:46:02 am »

Seems they are getting ready to start construction on one in Murfreesboro TN and the one in Colorado Springs has landed in court with a lawsuit over the noise level the venue will create. Sounds like a somewhat NIMBY suit but will be curious as to what happens.

I wouldn't want something like that in my neighborhood.  Sometimes NIMBY isn't a bad thing.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2023, 02:09:58 pm »

I wouldn't want something like that in my neighborhood.  Sometimes NIMBY isn't a bad thing.

That's why I said somewhat. It does seem like there is a potential there and it should be checked out. It seems it's on the venue to prove they are in compliance since the homes where there first.

I can remember as a kid hearing the stock car races from the fairgrounds at my parents house over by MA HU. During the fair they would have tractor pulls and you could tell the difference berween the ones with multiple V8 engines and the ones that ran V12 Allison and Merlin engines. I knew some people that lived north of the fairgrounds and they would try to go out of town on vacation during the fair.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2023, 08:34:52 am »

Damn! This along with the American Heartland Theme Park! What a boon for the Tulsa area!!!

Of course, realistically, we're probably going to run out of land to build these with all the battery plants popping up....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org