News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

New License Plates

Started by patric, August 01, 2024, 08:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patric

Oklahoma unveiled its new license plates today, based on the statehood flag and not internet clipart, for a change. 
Also unlike the old tag, the Department of Public Safety isnt requiring the upgrade right away because the old tags "got dirty."

https://journalrecord.com/2024/08/lieutenant-governor-unveils-new-iconic-license-plate-design/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum

Red Arrow

Quote from: patric on August 01, 2024, 08:47:54 PM
Oklahoma unveiled its new license plates today, based on the statehood flag and not internet clipart, for a change. 
Also unlike the old tag, the Department of Public Safety isnt requiring the upgrade right away because the old tags "got dirty."

https://journalrecord.com/2024/08/lieutenant-governor-unveils-new-iconic-license-plate-design/

yawn..

beauharlan

Are there conditions that require replacement?

Red Arrow

Quote from: beauharlan on August 08, 2024, 02:00:18 AM
Are there conditions that require replacement?

I didn't see that.  If you want one anyway, you can pay an extra $4 when renewing your tag.

shavethewhales

It's pretty basic, but good to have something that incorporates some actual Oklahoma elements again.

I wonder if the '46' will cause issues with plate scanning - particularly out of state and through various toll roads.

patric

Quote from: shavethewhales on August 08, 2024, 01:06:04 PM
It's pretty basic, but good to have something that incorporates some actual Oklahoma elements again.

I wonder if the '46' will cause issues with plate scanning - particularly out of state and through various toll roads.

I think the font Oklahoma prisons use is "Zurich Medium Condensed" since the state went with machine-readable plates.
If the Optical Character Recognition used for automated enforcement / surveillance is trained properly, it should be able to distinguish the distinctly different font of the "46" from the actual tag numbers.

I cant say whether or not thats true for Flock ALPR cameras, though. IMHO, Flock is just one data breach away from a major privacy scandal.
"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum