News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

Bartlett Square Fountain

Started by ttownclown, October 12, 2006, 09:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttownclown

Does anyone know what happened to the Bartlett Square fountian? It has major damage and has been that way for what seems months.  Any time frame for repairs?

Also- anyone else find it odd that Bartlett Square is round?  Shouldn't it be renamed Bartlett Circle?

Breadburner

A drunk chick from Owasso ran into it about 2am several weeks back.....

Hometown

Speaking of the Bartlett Square Fountain, Tulsa could have a great New Years Eve tradition if the city arranged a free celebration at the fountain every New Years Eve.  The people would be the attraction.  All it would cost the city would be police overtime.  Throw in a dropping ball and tv coverage and Tulsa would have a major public event -- for very little cost.

OKmetro

That sounds like a real nice idea... It would fell up quick...

NellieBly

I work right down the street from the fountain and walk by it regularly. One thing I noticed is that is seems rather puny like it would seem more in place in front of a Maple Ridge mansion. To paraphrase, maybe since it's broke it should be fixed. Maybe if it was a little more impressive drunk chicks from Owasso wouldn't run into it.

inteller

she wasnt drunk, owasso doesnt have roundabouts so the idiot simply didn't know what to do.[}:)]

Breadburner

Tulsa's Barlett Square Fountain Damaged
KOTV - 8/21/2006 10:13 AM - Updated 8/22/2006 9:08 AM
The centerpiece of downtown Tulsa's Main Street renovation has been damaged.

Tulsa Police say a drunk driver ran into the Bartlett Square fountain. It could cost around $43,000 to fix it. The fountain was paid for by third penny sales tax money.

The insurance company of the driver, Melissa Medlock from Owasso, has agreed to pay for the damage, but it could take months.

BKDotCom

Interesting.. I decided to google "melissa medlock"...
There's a Dallas Cowboy's cheerleader with same name from Owasso?

PonderInc

The new and improved Bartlett "square" is rather depressing...and totally inadequate to the task of providing a vital space for gathering, listening to music, sidewalk cafes, etc.  It's in the center of the road, but certainly not a centerpiece!

Here's an example of a perfectly-located, totally under-utilized, hideously-designed (I've heard it was intentionally designed to be unwelcoming--so that it would not attract bums...) space.  

Every day, I pass this space, and imagine it as the "heart" of Main street.  I picture a total redesign: space for a permanent outdoor stage, market stalls, benches, landscaping, etc...  Imagine a restaurant (adjacent to the McFarlin building, currently a mud pit) that opens on to Main street AND this reimagined public space.

I know that it is privately owned...but it's a blemish in the heart of downtown...and it could be so much more!

In my opinion, this is the space that could most impact Main Street, and help support revitalization in the area.  Perhaps a better solution than a plaza would be to turn it back into interesting buildings with shopfronts...allowing people to once again shop, eat, and be entertained here.

I'm happy to hear about the Centennial park down at 6th and Main, but I worry that it's location at the "edge" of the central business district will be a limitation.  (Hopefully, infill development will eventually occur in all those wasted surface parking lots south of there, and the park will some day be surrounded by better things...).

Conan71

They gave the "Main Mall" concept, what 20 years?

Seems like DTU was behind the Main Mall, as it would bring so many people back downtown.  Then they blamed the lack of people coming downtown with a lack of parking and not being able to drive up Main St.  I wish they'd make up their mind.  Maybe they need someone with more vision than Jim Norton.
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

tulsa1603

quote:
Originally posted by BKDotCom

Interesting.. I decided to google "melissa medlock"...
There's a Dallas Cowboy's cheerleader with same name from Owasso?

That would be her.  I went to HS there and I know her family...I had to laugh when I realized she's the one that hit it.

BKDotCom

Melissa, Melissa....
Next time, if you need a ride.  Give me a call.

Breadburner

quote:
Originally posted by BKDotCom

Melissa, Melissa....
Next time, if you need a ride.  Give me a call.

You have a Moustache Bk..?  

carltonplace

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

she wasnt drunk, owasso doesnt have roundabouts so the idiot simply didn't know what to do.[}:)]

They probably aren't used to seeing fountains in the middle of the street either. Maybe we should paint the fountain with a cow pattern.