A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2024, 07:55:42 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlett Square Fountain  (Read 81081 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2011, 06:43:51 am »

I sure wish the powers that be would admit that paltry fountain was a huge mistake and put something in that is more substantial. 

Per the engineer: 
Engineer Chris Cox said if the fountain is rebuilt with the current design, the City would add steel bollards around the perimeter to protect it.

I'm guessing this ugly or worse.  It'll really look welcoming.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2011, 07:13:28 am »

Per the engineer: 

I'm guessing this ugly or worse.  It'll really look welcoming.

I would guess worse.  That wouldn't stop a car at even 25 mph.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2011, 07:16:55 am »

and it doesnt have any flashing yellow lights
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2011, 07:22:34 am »

Sooner or later you'd think they would get the idea that putting concrete structures in the middle of street intersections is a really bad idea.

Anyone care to bet on whether or not the driver had insurance and how quickly he will wiggle out of any responsibility including a DUI charge?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:58 am »

Honest, the tree was in the road...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=uvalde,+tx&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=41.632176,90.791016&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Uvalde,+Texas&ll=29.21432,-99.778028&spn=0,0.003793&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=29.214001,-99.778027&panoid=jPh736M0hMW83Fnf8783Bg&cbp=12,243.68,,0,0

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2011, 07:42:32 am »

Bahahahaha!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2011, 10:31:56 am »

Anyone care to bet on whether or not the driver had insurance and how quickly he will wiggle out of any responsibility including a DUI charge?

It could have been another drunk cheerleader, or illegal Mexicans for all we know, because this time the police arent releasing the identity or any details about the midnight olympiad.
Other than the fountain is totaled, what's special about this case?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2011, 01:12:08 pm »

I would guess worse.  That wouldn't stop a car at even 25 mph.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIqlkPhDfwM&t=67s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRPEW2OMIU8&t=4s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leL26IJ4eus[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlcF0ibca4I[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJCZk69q2uA[/youtube]

Hopefully they anchor the concrete, unlike in the last video. Wink

Oh, and have you ever noticed the ugly bollards at OneOk Plaza along 6th street? Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2011, 01:42:17 pm »

Not sure I agree with the Bollards, while that will protect the fountain it might increase possibility of injury to the drunks inattentive drivers.

The fountain needs to be brought up to eye level and have safe illumination to make it more visible at night.

Or maybe drop it below street level

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2011, 10:20:11 am »

Not sure I agree with the Bollards, while that will protect the fountain it might increase possibility of injury to the drunks inattentive drivers. The fountain needs to be brought up to eye level and have safe illumination to make it more visible at night.

Bollards alone might just add liability, unless they were very very discretely illuminated.  Of course, if visibility is the only problem, the outside lip surrounding the bowl could incorporate LED downlighting so that the bowl is illuminated enough to stand out (without creating any glare of it's own).  Warm white LEDs, of course  Grin.

Some sort of traffic calming device on approach to the fountain would be a good idea, as well.  Yes, I realize the  fountain itself was supposed to be a traffic calming device, but poorly implemented in that respect, and too vulnerable. 

Anyone ever hear who the mystery celebrity is that hit the fountain?  Got to be someone interesting for it to be kept such a secret.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2011, 10:53:20 am »

Some sort of traffic calming device on approach to the fountain would be a good idea, as well.  Yes, I realize the  fountain itself was supposed to be a traffic calming device, but poorly implemented in that respect, and too vulnerable. 

It has been somewhat effective in calming selected traffic.  Make it a bit tougher and we might have a winner.  Who says the roads have to be safe for impaired or distracted drivers?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2011, 11:18:13 am »

Warm white LEDs, of course  Grin.
Like this?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
dbacks fan
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:26 am »

Just my $.02, take the dam thing out and make it a four way stop sign intersection. From the appearence the intersection is choked enough with the streets being about twenty feet wide as it is.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2011, 11:26:51 am »

Just my $.02, take the dam thing out and make it a four way stop sign intersection. From the appearence the intersection is choked enough with the streets being about twenty feet wide as it is.
As someone who drives through the intersection regularly, I disagree. I like not having to stop unless there's traffic already in the circle. It definitely lends a more pleasant feeling to the immediate area, at least when it doesn't look like it was run over by a tank.

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:59 pm »

The street is already "calmed." It's narrow. It's not smooth. There are buildings up to the sidewalk on most of that three-block stretch.

The speed limit's 25, but everything about that street tells you to go slower than that, like 15 or 20mph. The guy who hit that hard enough to cause that kind of destruction had to be seriously stupid plus seriously distracted.

The fountain itself may suck, but there's nothing wrong with that intersection other than its location in the middle of many dumbass drivers. People can't even get the fact that in America, we drive on the right. So many people turn left there rather than going 3/4 way around the fountain.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org